View Poll Results: How do you display your collection.

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • By year

1 2.17%
  • By line

20 43.48%
  • By year + line

2 4.35%
  • by character

1 2.17%
  • Another way (please specify)

11 23.91%
  • A combination of methods.

11 23.91%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you display your figures?

I display mine mostly by line. I try to limit my collecting to a number of distinct collections which is how they're displayed; Masterpiece (which are also separated by faction), CHUG (by faction for '84/85 represented characters then a shelf of 86 characters), G1, WSTs, Legend Class representations of G1 characters, Movieverse Legends (includes Legends and Cyberverse), Kreons and Robot Heroes are each displayed by faction.

I then have a collection of matching line and size class Optimuses and Starscreams so guess they're displayed by character.

I used to display MOSC generations in one single line but the addition of Asia GDOs gave me a headache with Voyagers and Leaders so I just have to line up all deluxes from Generations WFC Optimus to the GDO Wheelie and continued with the FOC deluxes to IDW up to wave 2 Thundercracker (i stopped there because I started the MPs)

Now came the MPs and I just arranged all cars by numbers separating the those redecos with letters after the numbers..other big boxes, well stack em for now

By line, but I'd consider things like the various Classics lines as one, and then by allegiance, 'bots to one side, 'cons to the other.

I voted by line, but really by faction, and then basically whatever I feel like. Lines like Animated and AEC, where I don't really have enough toys to make a full shelf, tend to get put with the CHUG figures, making the longest and most ridiculous acronym ever. Similarly, all movie figures get grouped together.

If anything, I differentiate more by scale than by line. I know that sounds nuts for a TF collector given how loose TF scale is, but I tend to assume robot mode scale, at least, is consistent (apart from outliers such as Metroplex) and represents the actual relative size of the bot. Thus, Masterpiece and Alternators group together pretty well, as do most mainlines and CHUG. Then you have Cyberverse/pre-2012 Legends class figures who are the smallest. Modern Legends get put with their line because they are more like basics than Legends class toys.

Primarily by line, but there's been blurred lines in my collection plus Ive got some displays that are of just one character and also some figures that I "reassigned"to another line (Chugur) because I think they fit in there better than what they were released from originally (Bayverse). So, I voted Combination.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I have two shelves. One for the autobots and one for the decepticons.

I only collect the Generations/Classics/Universe G1 Cartoon deluxe figures.

The autobots are led by G1 Optimus Prime though. Decepticons now have the new CW Megatron who towers above the rest! G1 reissue soundwave does sit with this bunch and g1 Sixshot.

I do have the 2Oth annivesary prime who stands alone as he is massive, i will probably put the combiner wars guys next to him.

As for the rest of my g1 original toys, they are still packed up in a couple of boxes :P

I display by colour.

I only have a small collection (almost entirely movieverse) of around 60 bots. They're on three shelves on which I've tried to place them in sweeping colour changes from one side to the other. I position them based on their major colour and minor highlights so as to try to get an overall cohesive look. That's the idea anyway.

The purpose behind my method is to try and make the display overall the least aesthetically un-pleasing as possible. The thing about Transformers is that they're frankly an eyesore to the non-fan when they're on the shelf. They're such a jumble of different sizes and shapes so it's not easy to get them to not look like an awful jumbled mess. Colour seemed really the only possible organising principle for a visually appealing display.

If they're not going to be something my girfriend wants to look at, I can at least limit how much of an eyesore they are in our home.

That's cool. I've wondered for a while what a collection sorted by colour would look like, and I like it. It works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    That's cool. I've wondered for a while what a collection sorted by colour would look like, and I like it. It works well.
    Thanks mate! I've always wondered if anyone else does it! haha

I've not encountered any case of a collector organising by colour. It seems like the natural inclination of the TF fan is begin to organise by faction until you have too many and then you start grouping them by line or character or whatever. It seems like the aesthetic value of the collection overall is always well behind classification considerations (which obviously makes perfect sense as a collector).

Ever considered arranging the colours in the order of the visible light spectrum? </cheek>