Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What makes you an MISB / MOSC Collector?

if i had a dollar for every time one of these thread's come up.

It is much easier to dust a sealed figure then a loose one's , but seriously does it matter if some ones opens their toys or not every person collects in different ways and everyone needs to respect that

Amen, each to their own. There is no need to justify either way you choose to collect or be pushed to conform.

Wink

Out of my 1600+ figures I've got maybe 50 or so MISB/MOSC. Probably a bit over a doZen like 20 & 25th anniversary Optimus are on purpose, the rest are movie or Universe figures I never got around to opening

Quote Originally Posted by The_Damned View Post
    Lol - thought the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    Having my room look like a TRU TF section is the point. Personally, the appeal of toy collecting is a lot more than the play pattern inherent in the toy itself. The aesthetics of the toy, its box/card art, and the nostalgia of viewing vintage/reissued sealed toys bring me greater pleasure than fiddling with them.
    Man of my own heart Couldn't of put it better myself...

I was under the assumption that "MISB collector" is just a more politically correct term for someone suffering from pittakionophobia

(fear of sticky tape and other adhesive materials)
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

i used to display all of my figures loose and then i thought to myself, if all that they're doing over on the shelf is just standing there, why not leave them in/on their cards/boxes? i don't play with my toys so why take them out? The process now is to get rid of all of my loose figures and have a sealed collection.

Mint in sealed box/card, to me anyway, is much like those of us who leave their loose figures mint on shelf -we get them home, admire them for a while, find a home for them in our cabinets and then look forward to our next purchase.

but yeah, different strokes for different folks and all of that jazz

The majority of my toys are loose. Those that I keep sealed are typically:
    * Doubles - mostly gifts from people who didn't know that I already had the toy, although I will on rare occasion buy a spare to deliberately keep sealed.
    * Variants of an existing mould. e.g. My Movie-verse Banzaitron is MISB, but my ROTF Bludgeon is loose etc.

IMHO there are several different types of TF collectors -- and there are probably elements of all of these types in most of us (so it's more of a spectrum), but many of us may strongly identify or gravitate more towards one type over the others. These include but are not limited to...

The Curator

Sees toys as personal museum pieces to preserve for prosperity.

The Fiddler

Likes to fiddle around with toys -- posing, transforming... but doesn't actually play with them.

The Player

"Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew! Pew!"*

The Artisan

Loves to customise and kitbash toys.
    " Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology."

I personally identify myself as a "Player." Sure, I have a few sealed toys, there are some toys that I fiddle with rather than play, and I've tried customising toys before too (not that I'm any good ), but I most strongly identify myself as a Player. Or "Playah" if I want street cred.

---------------------------------
    *Yes, Rollbar's kick is making laser sounds. He's that hardcore!

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

gok sumarriesed it well.

What you do with your toys is your own decision. If I step into a house of MISB displayed, I will make a point not to disrespect the person, likewise I expect the same to whoever steps into my house.

One thing for myself, is not about keeping it sealed. I can take out my toys and place them back into the box. It helps if the box is nice looking.

But when I see a box protecting a box, its where I feel its a bit over the top, especially if it is not a 80s toy.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    But when I see a box protecting a box, its where I feel its a bit over the top, especially if it is not a 80s toy.
    AFA?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Damned View Post
    Well i thought this has already been a topic and just cant dig deep enough the threads and I really just would like to know your thoughts. It has been bothering me for quite some time the reasons we keep our collections sealed in-package. And i just remembered that it really started as I am lazy to open them (as Shirokaze said) and even lazier to transform them from the start

And of course yes we are the owner and we decide what to do with our toys. But if wife says to dispose them that is a different story altogether.