• Only if cheap

4 57.14%
  • Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

1 14.29%
  • Not even interested

2 28.57%

Thread: Toy Review - RID-15 Optimus Prime (Warrior)

Default Toy Review - RID-15 Optimus Prime (Warrior)

OPTIMUS PRIME
    Series - Robots In Disguise
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - Warrior (Deluxe)
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 2
    Released here - Soon?
    Approximate Retail Price - AU$30
    Approximate Size - 13cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - insignia can be scanned for mobile device game app
    Main Colours - red, blue, black
    Main Accessories - axe

Pictures

Rather simplistic for a Deluxe (Warrior) Class figure. The toy basically twists and lies down to become a truck. Check out this image of the truck mode stood up vertically.

Yep. The entire lower half of the robot mode is rather unchanged, just close the legs together and flip up the side panels to form the sides of the trailer. The upper body twists and turns around to form the cab, but half of the toy is just lying down to make the truck.

Admittedly it's a rather ambitious thing to do -- having both the cab and trailer become a singular robot, but honestly, it could've been done better. The Legends Class figure has a relatively more sophisticated transformation than the Warrior! It's certainly a more solid looking truck mode than the Warrior.

The robot is mostly well articulated, but suffers from a lack of horizontal shoulder articulation. The arms can swing up and down but not side to side. y u no ball 'n socket joint? I really wish that the bonnet panels could swing back to expose the robot hands. They do exist, but are obscured by those panels. The colours have a rather underwhelming 'paint by numbers' feel to it, although the metallic paints used on the axe blade and trailer stripes are nice touch.

The sculpting is nicely done and the uber chunky legs are reminiscent of Powermaster Optimus Prime. But the lack of better shoulder articulation really hampers overall poseability/playability.

Overall: Disappointing. If you're going to get this toy, I strongly advise against paying full retail for it.

This toy looks like something from the early 90s. Actually, some early 90s toys handled it better..

I would only get this, so the original Robots In Disguise optimus can have a go at him :P

Actually if there's any version I want, it's the large Japanese one, because at least both him and Robots In Disguise (2001) Optimus can have a fair fight :P
    Last edited by Handsprime; 1st May 2015 at 09:43 PM.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Apparently if you pop his forearm wheels off it gives you access to the screw that keeps the truck parts in place.

Unscrew the screws and you can rotate the truck parts back and give prime better looking arms. Don't forget to a) hang onto the screws and b) pop the wheels back on because the mod still allows for full transformation.

11.5.15 update

Gotta apologise, the mod does require some cutting. Just watched peaugh's tutorial again sorry I thought it was just a case of removing 2 screws.
    Last edited by SMHFConvoy; 11th May 2015 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    This toy looks like something from the early 90s. Actually, some early 90s toys handled it better..
    You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. When I first saw it I thought "Does it have the same kind of transformation as Star Convoy Optimus?" (SC Optimus being the last of the G1 O. Primes and a Japan only release and reissue).
    Considering SC Optimus has battery operated tank tracks on his trailer for starters and is also a triple changer that Armada Optimus seems to be modelled on and comes with a mini Hot Rod, the only advantage this RID Optimus has is through better articulation and poseability and that's not saying much.