Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about TF comics

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The IDW's Classic trades (regular and UK versions) will (eventually) have everything and be pretty much close to reading order.

Their US reprints do some odd things, like put the GiJoe crossover and Headmasters limited series right at the end instead of when they happen in continuity, but are otherwise in straight forward order.

Their UK reprints are in publication/reading order and have good explanations where the UK stories fit in connection with the US stories. (Avoid the Best of Uk collections through, go for the big volumes James Roberts has helped put together)

The best thing to do is read the Marvel G1 stories based on the order they were published in the UK comics.

Or you can read the entire US run and then go back and see the "hidden tales" from the UK that fit between the gaps of the US.

Because the UK had to fit with US continuity there's nothing in the UK books that's particularly spoilt by reading the US run first. There's only two times that come to mind in the US comics (near the end when Furman takes over) that events in the UK book are hinted at.
    Paul you're the best. Thank you I'd better save this somewhere.

Reading in release order does give you the best approximation of the intended order. Nearly everything in reading order is in release order except for things like Autocracy/Monstrosity which are flashback stories, they won't ruin anything of the main story.

The "I want it all reading order" in the link TinyJazz shared looks pretty good actually. The lack of Autocracy/Monstrosity/Primacy just seems to be goof. I'd suggest reading those between Transformers 31 (end of the list) and before Death of Optimus Prime (near the top of the second list).*

Regeneration One is a special case. It's a sequel to the Marvel G1 series (which is why the numering continues) and thus is out of continuity to the rest of the IDW comics. (IDW's Beast Wars and Movie series comics are also in their own continuities.)

Edit:
    * Actually there's a few things in that list are a bit odd - some of the limited series could be read in one go rather than spaced out the way they are in that list. Now I want to draw up my own list for you!
    You should totally do it! Plus, the next time one of my friends asks about tf comics I can point them to an Australian site.
    I thought that they may have omitted Autocracy/Monstrosity/Primacy because they dislike Livio's art. But that would be silly.
    "The Decepticons keep bad company - each other!" - Jazz, G2

I am strongly considering it...

I am strongly considering it...
    I'd be most interested to see how your list might differ, I did think it a bit strange that the one on TFW jumped around like that, but after reading some different story arcs marvel put out back in the day I know that a story can jump between different titles so wasn't sure

I sort of randomly just bought the 1st trade paperback of More Than Meets The Eye and started there because it looked cool I think I bought the next couple after that but then started buying the hardcover IDW collection volumes. They include pretty much everything in that universe I think and are in a reading order similar to the suggested on on TFW i think. Then I went back to the MTMTE/RID series trade paperbacks. After Dark Cybertron I've been buying issues in comixology on my tablet but getting the trade paperbacks when they come out too.