Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Combiner Wars animated series by Machinima

Quote Originally Posted by valkyrie_76 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zULT47yp2Bo

I am starting to actually like this instead
    That was pretty cool...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Should I have read the comics first? Is this supposed to rely on them to fill in the gaps and provide the majority of the story?
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I hadn't thought about it but you're right, this series would be less accessible for people who haven't read the comics.
    I don't think knowing the comics would've helped the first ep, because you could argue that most of the problems were to do with execution rather than overall storyline; and had the voice acting, sound design and action been better it would have been an overall better episode.

Definitely gives the impression of fanfic. Hopefully it improves.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    I don't think knowing the comics would've helped the first ep, because you could argue that most of the problems were to do with execution rather than overall storyline; and had the voice acting, sound design and action been better it would have been an overall better episode.
    Without ever having touched a single IDW comic, you'd be looking at this and wondering:
    * "What's a Caminus?"
    * "Who are these female Autobots?"
    * "What's a city speaker?"

Actually, even as an IDW comic reader I still don't really know what's going on here.

Without ever having touched a single IDW comic, you'd be looking at this and wondering:
    * "What's a Caminus?"
    * "Who are these female Autobots?"
    * "What's a city speaker?"

Actually, even as an IDW comic reader I still don't really know what's going on here.
    I was too busy retching and lolling at how bad it was to even ask those questions!

I understand that it's hard to put in complete exposition in five minutes, so would expect those questions to be answered as the series progresses, but if it's so badly put together and realised, i'm not going to even care about finding out those answers!

The way that they all keep mispronouncing "Camīnus" feels like I'm hearing someone drag fingernails down a blackboard. The stress is meant to fall on the second syllable, not the first!

i.e. It's "kah-MEE-noos," not "cammyness."
    Actually, it's probably "KAH-mee-noos" rather than "kah-MEE-noos." The accent usually falls in the penult when it is long or heavy, such as in words like reGIna (queen) or cenTAUrus (centaur). But as 'caminus' has a shorter/lighter penult, then the accent should fall on the antepenult instead, hence CAminus (forge) rather than caMInus. Compare this with the Latin pronunciation of other similar words with short/light penults such as DOminus (lord) or AMbulo (walk) etc.

Either way it's certainly NOT pronounced as "cammyness" as can be heard in Episode 1, as Latin lacks the schwa vowel (ə) used in languages like English. Latin only has 10 native vowels, the short and long forms of a, e, i, o and u.

Episode two is up on youtube.

Marginally better than the first but still not that good (it helps that Windblade isn't featured much).

5:18 long..... And the first 1:22 is starscreams silent commute to work?

It looks like this show is going to basically be an hour long episode, but split into 5-ish minute webisodes. After watching the first 2 I think I might just wait for the whole lot to be released and watch it one go. Otherwise the episodes are too short to be meaningful, and scenes like Screamers foray this morning, while too long for a 5minute clip, works much better within an hour long show for eg, especially since it would be the 6th minute of the show where everything is still being intro'd to the viewer.

I'm not the type to say this sucks because that's not how character x should behave/look etc so excluding choices like Menasor's voice (which was a little bit... unintimidating ), I think it will be a better viewing experience watched in one hit.
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

Hmm I know we'll just keep showing optimus at the end and people will keep coming back to watch the next episode zzzz...