Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal Earth Transformers 3D model kits

Default Metal Earth Transformers 3D model kits

(This is only a partial review - I have not constructed the model kits yet, and won't be before I've finished another important custom project first. When I have built them, I will add further info to this thread)

Courtesy of BBTS, I received the 4 kits that have been released by Metal Earth - Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, and Soundwave. Essentially they are very thin pieces of etched sheet metal that, when folded up and tabbed appropriately, form a 3D model of the character. They cost about $15AUD each.

First the packaging: They come in cardboard envelopes, about 17cm X 12cm. I kinda expected them to be in boxes based on my experiences of model kits, which was a bit foolish in retrospect. I am glad that there's no excess packaging that would have made shipping more expensive. They look like this (50c piece for scale):

Metal Earth Transformers by M-bot

So far I've only opened OP. The package contains 2 metal sheets with the pieces, and a 2 page instruction manual.

The instruction manuals are huge, when folded out. They appear to be reasonably clear and appropriately detailed, but I will reserve judgement until the build is complete. Strangely, rather than one document, or booklet-style instructions, the instructions are 2 separate pages.

The idea behind the kits is that they can be constructed without glue or solder. The suggested implements for constructing the models are clippers (to remove the individual pieces from the sheets) and tweezers (to bend and twist the pieces as required). I may also add some needle nose pliers if necessary.

Here's some close ups of the metal sheets themselves, (again with a 50c piece for scale):

The detail on these things is INCREDIBLE. These are extremely carefully designed and manufactured. Considering the exactness that they display, I am reasonably confident they will go together cleanly. My main concern at this point is that the size of them is going to make putting them together a very finicky job. I also hope that the thinness of the metal doesn't make them too fragile or prone to crumpling or bending where they shouldn't.

Updates when I can!

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

It's stamped out of metal but goes together like papercraft rather than like a model kit?
    An interesting notion.

edit: actually, with that level of detail it's probably CNC machined instead of stamped.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Those are going to be interesting to see built.

Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post
    It's stamped out of metal but goes together like papercraft rather than like a model kit?
    An interesting notion.

edit: actually, with that level of detail it's probably CNC machined instead of stamped.
    It's photo etched metal.

I picked these up from BBTS as well and have had the time aside to construct OP, Megs and SW.

The instructions indicate two ways for getting the little metal tabs to hold once inserted, a 90 degree bend or a 90 degree twist. I found the instructions pretty easy to follow, but on a couple of occasions found the need to "undo" a step and when I did, any tabs I had twisted were significantly weaker and broke whereas the tabs that were bent only retained much of their initial strength.

I also found it helpful to have pens of different diameters to roll parts that needed to be cylindrical like the weapons or wheels on OP.

They were good fun, but definitely check twice and carefully before committing to connecting any parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Mackness View Post
    I picked these up from BBTS as well and have had the time aside to construct OP, Megs and SW.

The instructions indicate two ways for getting the little metal tabs to hold once inserted, a 90 degree bend or a 90 degree twist. I found the instructions pretty easy to follow, but on a couple of occasions found the need to "undo" a step and when I did, any tabs I had twisted were significantly weaker and broke whereas the tabs that were bent only retained much of their initial strength.

I also found it helpful to have pens of different diameters to roll parts that needed to be cylindrical like the weapons or wheels on OP.

They were good fun, but definitely check twice and carefully before committing to connecting any parts.
    Good tips! Any chance you'd put up some pics of the finished models?

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms

I didn't want to post any in case you wanted to put your own up, but I'll see what I can do when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Mackness View Post
    I didn't want to post any in case you wanted to put your own up, but I'll see what I can do when I get home.
    I will post up my own pics, but not for a while. Please feel free to post up your own here, I'd love to see them!

No worries. Please keep in mind it's probably been 15 or so years since I last put models together, but here they are:

Classics seeker mould for size comparison

Megatron - putting his cannon together was a pain in the proverbial. Doesn't look like it but there are about 10 tiny pieces for just the cannon!

Soundwave and Buzzsaw or Laserbeak - the condor, whichever you choose it to be, is actually separate

Optimus - I didn't like the arms down (per the instructions) so I gave him a slightly action pose

Those look great! Any plans for doing 'Bee?

Cheers

I whipped through the first 3 rapidly so I thought I'd leave Bee for I time until I get some spare.

Tell you what though, I reckon Starsceam would look great in this format!