Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11212627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Classics 2.0/Universe Comments thread

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I just received a second hand Universe Countdown (Big thanks to Blackie)

Don't buy him! He is not worth the rip off TrU price tag of $80. He is made of considerably cheaper plastic than Cybertron Defense Red Alert and Botcon06 Megatron - the painted parts are not well applied either. It is very disappointing that such an expensive and over priced retail figure is so dodgyly made and on top of that a store exclusive.

I can understand why Blackie wasn't impressed with him - It is of cheap KOish manufacture and it shows despite the overall concept of the character and repaint being rather good.

Note: Quality of figure is Hasbro's fault not Blackie's. I am thankful to Blackie for selling it to me at a decent cost.

Well Hasbro said in their answers somewhere months ago that because they sell such a larger quantity of Transformers now they did have to drop quality.
    When will they understand that we'll pay higher prices for better ingredients in our product? Sick of seeing that almost transparent plastic...especially the grey.

Thanks for the honest review though Kup. It's ensured I'll keep mine MISB. No point in opening crap...it looks better in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    Well Hasbro said in their answers somewhere months ago that because they sell such a larger quantity of Transformers now they did have to drop quality.
    When will they understand that we'll pay higher prices for better ingredients in our product? Sick of seeing that almost transparent plastic...especially the grey.
    I thought they said it was because their costs in China had gone up.

While you, me, Kup and probably others might be willing to pay higher prices for high quality, the Walmart clientele aren't, and that's from whom Hasbro is making their money.

Classics 2.0/Universe are the whole reasons why I got back into collecting Transformers after almost a 20 year hiatus.

After seeing what they've done to the classic characters in terms of articulation and design, I was instantly hooked.

Admittedly the quality does suck compared to their G1 counterparts.

I still have memories of dropping Hound off a table onto concrete and all he did was bounce whereas nowadays, do the same and he'll probably shatter into a hundred pieces.

The paint jobs on some of these guys are also pretty crap too with mismatched colours and almost complete lack of paint application in certain areas, leaving the plastic translucent.

Henkei's seem to be better finished in terms of paint and manufacturing process, however even some of them fall apart while you're transforming them (Galvatron), but are at a higher price premium.

(Ducking for cover) Despite their shortcomings, I still wouldn't trade any of them for their G1 versions!

I may not be a purist in the sense of the word, but I do enjoy TFs and it's because of the classics/universe range, I have come back to the fold... and that's a good thing, I think?

Sure is.

While it was the 1st movie that brought me back to the fold, Classics & Henkei are my favorites now.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    I thought they said it was because their costs in China had gone up.
    They did say that later but initially stated that they hadn't anticipated the massive demand caused by the movie and the first waves of the Classics and, in the roundabout style of political-speak, blamed that on QC issues.
    It's why I proposed a while back that we discourage children and noob collector's from infringing upon our hobby with their purchases.

Darkwind
    "Silverbolt is an unfortunate looking bot but Darkwind makes this $hit look good!~"

Looking at Darkwind in bot or alt mode can make data banks of a transformation process almost fade away. Repaint is such a dirty word, and sadly, undeniably, Darkwind is one. Sadly to the horrible Silverbolt. It has been known for many cycles that focusing your optics on Silverbolt WILL fill your core with rage OR sorrow, and searching for redeeming features about Silverbolt WILL only remind you of this model's lame arse transformation. If Darkwind was created for a reason, that reason is stand beside Silverbolt as proof, that not all repaints are inferior to the original, and that Darkwind is 1000x better.
    -Darkwind is worth buying this crappy mould (if on sale) while Silverbolt is not.

Countdown
    "Countdown likes the ladies who in turn like giant shoulder mounted cannons. He has a knee gun cause he hates kids and his visor makes him look like a rad dude ."

This is my 1st version of the Countdown mould and/so the plastic quality seems fine IMO. Countdown comes with enough gimmicks, has good colours, and a great head sculpt.
    -As with Darkwind, I was happy to buy Countdown for $40.
    Last edited by Deonasis; 18th September 2009 at 05:26 PM.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    Countdown
    "Countdown likes the ladies
    That's because they often thought of him as someone else....
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap

that's nothing... you should check out Beast Wars II Galvatron's drill tank mode. It looks even _more_ phallic (it has a distinct shaft and head) and it spins!

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    Looking at Darkwind in bot or alt mode can make data banks of a transformation process almost fade away. Repaint is such a dirty word, and sadly, undeniably, Darkwind is one. Sadly to the horrible Silverbolt. It has been known for many cycles that focusing your optics on Silverbolt WILL fill your core with rage OR sorrow, and searching for redeeming features about Silverbolt WILL only remind you of this model's lame arse transformation. If Darkwind was created for a reason, that reason is stand beside Silverbolt as proof, that not all repaints are inferior to the original, and that Darkwind is 1000x better.
    While it's an undeniably simple mould for the pricepoint (and should have been done as a Voyager or even a deluxe), a large part of the reason why TFU Silverbolt sucks is that the colours are off. The blue/grey and maroon really weaken the tribute - which should be the best thing Silverbolt has going for him.

The Henkei Verson is a _lot_ stronger since the white is actually white and the red is pure red. Sure, the mould is still weak, but the colours - like those of Darkwind - make it worthwhile.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    While it's an undeniably simple mould for the pricepoint (and should have been done as a Voyager or even a deluxe), a large part of the reason why TFU Silverbolt sucks is that the colours are off. The blue/grey and maroon really weaken the tribute - which should be the best thing Silverbolt has going for him.

The Henkei Verson is a _lot_ stronger since the white is actually white and the red is pure red. Sure, the mould is still weak, but the colours - like those of Darkwind - make it worthwhile.

Yeah I should have mentioned I was talking about the Hasbro colours. If you need to get a Silverbolt then get the Henkei version!
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose