Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Universal Counting Method

Quote Originally Posted by LordCyrusOmega
    I object to combiner class devestator (ROTF) being removed from the UCM.
    As I see it Devestator while lacking individual modes does transform from multiple vehicles into a robot. While lacking the amount of vehicles needed to make him movie accurate as a toy he does reflect what the movie portrayed: one singular personality.
    Nobody's suggesting that Combiner Class Devastator be completely discounted from the UCM - but whether or not he should count as 1 Transformer or 6. Under existing rules for counting gestalts, only the component robots count individually but the gestalt robot doesn't. So for example, original G1 Devastator counts as 6 Transformers - but not 7 (cos some people would count Devastator as the 7th Constructicon). But Combiner Class Devastator has created some controversy because the individual Constructicons don't have robot modes.

[quote=LordCyrusOmega]As for the rest, when i count my collection for personal track i tend to count any that have their own individual personality or bio ie i also include targetmasters etc as they have their own bio in western release.

It's more i don't like some being classed and not others. Though i can see everyone has a different point of view on this as some will class rpm's and i don't but i do class 3" titanium and targetmasters etc
    Pretty much. There isn't any one method of counting that everyone will agree to. But at least the UCM was created (and maintained) via a democratic process and represents the majority consensus. Even I don't agree with all the UCM articles... but I abide by the majority will of voters.

It's not that i like comparing my collection to others. i just like to know how many i have.
    Same here. I first started making a list of my Transformers in 1985 on my family's Commodore 64. I made on a word processor program and it was a pretty simple list - only 3 columns; Name, Allegiance, Function. That was it! And when I printed it out on our dot matrix printer the entire list fitted on one page! And like you said, it was never about comparing or competing with others... I just wanted to know.

In the case of devastator I think it should be counted as one due to one personality unlike usual gestalts that require the meshing of two or more minds.

I like the current ucm as it puts all of is in the same boat.

Quote Originally Posted by LordCyrusOmega View Post
    but i do class 3" titanium and targetmasters etc
    Truth is, I have always considered traditional Targetmasters (and Headmasters) as 2 figures, given they have names, profiles, and such rather than mindless drones. Then again that's just me.

Just watched your Youtube video Gok on UCM.... interesting..

Very technical. you should write taxation legislation.

I have a massive collection of Diamond Select Toy / Palisades / Titanium 3" statues and was horrified to find they are excluded. I probably spent more money on those statues than my normal TFs....

But like everyone says, each to their own.

Good on you for interesting Article numbers on Transformer counts!

So do we have an 'auditor' to review people's collections to ensure compliance with UCM?
    I'm walking away from Transformers. Check out my sales thread

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...089#post314089

Throw in my 2c here. WST's count yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    I have a massive collection of Diamond Select Toy / Palisades / Titanium 3" statues and was horrified to find they are excluded. I probably spent more money on those statues than my normal TFs....
    Because that's what the majority of people voted for. Remember that the UCM isn't based on any individual fan thinks should or shouldn't count, but based on a majority consensus. There are some rules in the UCM I don't like either (like counting multiples), but I respect it because it's what the majority of participants voted for. And for the sake of maintaining comparative data, once the rules were voted on, they cannot be changed (this was clearly outlined at the beginning of this project).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    So do we have an 'auditor' to review people's collections to ensure compliance with UCM?
    No, it's based on trust/honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Throw in my 2c here. WST's count yes?
    The licensed ones count, yes.

How about two of the same toy, one repainted (by yourself) into a different character? Do they count as 2? Do customs count as well?

Thought that was the case, just wanted to clarify. Finally got round to counting my collection last night. Well, only the ones on display lol

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

So seeing as I collect statues and busts, they don't count?

A minority product is voted against, as its a minority product.

Coming up with all these ways to discount what others have and enjoy from 'counting' as a part of their cherished collection = pointless data.

Especiallt when plush toys count, but not statues and busts? Besides the media, they're quite a similar thing.

And kitbashes count? They're not official product. They're not even product made in numbers. Yet they count, while tons of official product doesn't?

So I could have every figure made, yet you could have more because you mash different heads into different bodies? Because you have a fancharacter you made? That totally blows any numbers out the water, as what comparison can be made there? None.

Seems like a great way to minimise others' collection for self-fellating purposes.

'Oh you have and enjoy all these Transformers products? They don't count. You have nothing. Bai.'