Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening/School gardening thread

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    African violets and begonias are ridiculously easy to propagate from leaf cuttings. Lots of succulents are easy to grow from cuttings as well. Carnivorous plants like the flytrap and some pitchers have easy to break off side shoots. May take a little time though.
    oooh I remember seeing you bought one of those venus flytraps before..
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Thought I'd post the gardening I have done in the past few weeks

This was my mountain of soil

The beds before and after

Bed 1
    Purple Peas & purple beans
    Bed 2
    Spinach, kale & wasabi lettuce
    Bed 3
    Tomato, capsicum, chilli & popping corn
    Bed 4
    Brown onion, leek & garlic

Also we have strawberries hanging, herbs and a lemonade tree & an orange tree

But alas I was defeted by Gregor Clegane, he was still standing when it was all said and done. Anyone need any vegetable garden soil?

morg176 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

We found 4 tomoato plants in our flower box. Moved them to a styrofoam holding box till we figure out where to put them

Will have to see if I can have another box put in

Did I just see mknell posting dirty pictures on this board?

Two or three of my experiments in growing seeds to seedlings have fallen to fungal infections. Two of the agar (yes I found some) containers were growing very tall thinly sprouted seeds but were not thickening at all. With the addition of coconut water to one container, their form improved but the fungus got them.

I have mixed an anti bacterial, antifungal in the agar this time.
    I am also experimenting with a larger container. But yeah, not sterile as that is almost impossible in a primary school

I'll keep you informed how the alyssum go this time around.
    Last edited by morg176; 15th November 2015 at 07:17 PM.

I grow my plants sitting in water in closed containers and I've found that live sphagnum moss keeps the water clear and free of mould and algae.

Gamblor, thats a nice flytrap. And are they little sundew around the base of it.
    Do you think your process would work for ordinary flowering plants?

Hey gamblor,

1. Why can you buy flytraps from? I've been to a few nurseries and none of them sold any.
    2. Are they any good at reducing fly numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by morg176 View Post
    Gamblor, thats a nice flytrap. And are they little sundew around the base of it.
    Do you think your process would work for ordinary flowering plants?
    The sundews are from seed I bought on ebay in oz. Took a few months before they germinated though.

I think using sphagnum instead of agar might reduce the mould problem. It prefers a lot of moisture so useful for tropical plants.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Hey gamblor,

1. Why can you buy flytraps from? I've been to a few nurseries and none of them sold any.
    2. Are they any good at reducing fly numbers?
    I bought mine at nurseries and bunnings or seed online. I think it's a seasonal thing, they're out during the warmer months though most I've seen are in bad shape. If you have an insect problem it's not going to help but saying that I've put some bigger pitcher plants (sarracenia) in the open hoping to reduce the number of mosquitos. If you can't source any through spring/summer I can give you a sample pack of my spares.

The next three days of weather at our farm - 40, 43 + high winds, 36 + high winds

Luckily (though I usually lament it) my kids wake me up well before I have to go to work so I can at least get some drippers going for half an hour in the morning to try and keep my seedlings alive. Right now I have planted:

Watermelons
    Rockmelons
    Butternut Pumpkins
    Jap Pumpkins
    Beetroot
    Zuchinni
    Carrots
    Radishes
    2 types of tomatoes
    3 types of potatoes

The potatoes, watermelons, carrots and zuchinni will survive this heat easy but the rest might suffer. Especially my rockmelons that I've been trying to grow from seed and the beetroot which are still very young.

All my self-seeded stuff should survive it ok. But I'll chat about those another time