Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

Okay, it's not Earth, but we may change it to Earth later on!

Default When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

Greetings everyone!

I have joined the forum as Beast_Wars_Superior, though some of you may know me as Mr_M from the Hyper Magazine forum. It was actually someone from that forum who recommended this place to me.

Anyway, I've pretty much been a fan of Transformers all my life. When I was a kid, I was obsessed with G1, owning heaps of toys and watching the show as often as I could. Then as a teen, it was Beast Wars. Now as an adult, they released the live-action movie as well as the new TV show, Animated.

G1 is great as the sentimental favourite, the one that started it all, and so on, but I have to be honest- I don't like those G1 fanboys who always say stuff like 'This suck coz it's not G1, the voices are different, the alt-modes are different, G1 for life etc.'. In my opinion, the G1 show has aged pretty badly, and Beast Wars and Animated are superior shows in terms of story writing, character development, and voice acting. Beast Wars is my all time fave and I own the entire series on DVD, which is part of the reason why I chose my username. The other part is that it's a play on Soundwave's 'Inferior, Superior' quote.

So yeah, my fave TV shows in order are probably Beast Wars, Animated, G1 and Cybertron (I was going to buy Cybertron Optimus Prime from a sale, but they sold out before I got there). I saw some eps of Armada and Energon and thought they both sucked. I haven't seen Beast Machines but I'm going to download and watch it pretty soon (on a side note, Animated is the first thing I ever downloaded off BitTorrent, but surely not the last!). Also, I loved the live action movie and own it on HD-DVD.

I think I still have most of my G1/G2 toys, but they'd be in a crate in the shed and I can't really be bothered digging them out. In my room at the moment, I have all of my Beast Wars stuff on display, along with various other Transformers I buy here and there. I don't buy very many toys in relation to more serious collectors, but I'm always browsing shops for new Transformers (even if I don't plan to buy any, it's still fun to browse) so hopefully I can make myself useful in the toy sightings forum!

I also like taking photos of them so I should be able to make a few contributions to the action shots thread. I love action shots! Also, I'm not a customiser but I like browsing other people's customised TFs (that Donkey Kong one is brilliant!) so keep up the good work guys!

One more thing, I'm a huge videogame nut so I'll probably get involved in some videogame discussion as well. I'm really looking forward to the TF: Animated game on DS.

Anyway, that's my long introduction out of the way. I look forward to getting involved with the forum, talking to other TF fans, and having fun!

There is great joy indeed

Welcome to the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast_Wars_Superior
    G1 is great as the sentimental favourite, the one that started it all, and so on, but I have to be honest- I don't like those G1 fanboys who always say stuff like 'This suck coz it's not G1, the voices are different, the alt-modes are different, G1 for life etc.'. In my opinion, the G1 show has aged pretty badly, and Beast Wars and Animated are superior shows in terms of story writing, character development, and voice acting. Beast Wars is my all time fave and I own the entire series on DVD, which is part of the reason why I chose my username.
    I strongly disagree.

The G1 cartoon has aged and is rather camp full of shallow one-dimensional caricatures, but not the G1 comics from Marvel. Many G1 fans have long preferred the comic books over the cartoon. The comics came out before the cartoon and lasted long after it was cancelled. The G2 comics were also vastly superior over the G2 cartoon (which was nothing more than the G1 cartoon rehashed). It was the G1 comics that portrayed Unicron as a god, gave us Primus and established the Matrix as a divine artifact. And oh yeah, Sentinel Prime originated from the G1 comics too (as Optimus Prime's predecessor). Bludgeon, Thunderwing, the Wreckers, the Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squads, Target: 2006, the Time Wars, the Underbase Saga, the Matrix Saga, the Legacy of Unicron etc etc etc. To me the Marvel comics have always been the "true" G1.

Say what you will about the G1 cartoon, but do not assume that it represents the entirety of G1... because it doesn't. The cartoon ran from 1985-1987 whereas the comics ran from 1984-1992. 1993 if you include G2.

And Transformers Generation 2 gave us Jhiaxus, the Liege Maximo and the Swarm (who would eventually evolve to become the Vok in Beast Wars).

1993 - Transformers Generation 2

The Swarm -->recreated into--> The Vok
    (thanks to Optimus Prime )

Quote Originally Posted by Beast_Wars_Superior View Post
    I don't like those G1 fanboys who always say stuff like 'This suck coz it's not G1, the voices are different, the alt-modes are different, G1 for life etc.'.
    TRUKK NOT MUNKY

Welcome

Welcome Aboard BWS!!!! it can get a bit crazy around here at times but dont be afraid

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome. Hopefully your choice of username doesn't get too many people argueing with you. You'll find quite a few G1 fanboys here ready to argue with you about it's merits right away. Some of our members are only just watching Beast Wars over a decade after it started. But you'll also find some members are young enough that Beast Wars was the first TF line they saw.

Beast Wars Superior, Rock Lords Inferior.

Welcome.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

welcome and enjoy your stay here

Okay, it's not Earth, but we may change it to Earth later on!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Say what you will about the G1 cartoon, but do not assume that it represents the entirety of G1... because it doesn't.
    Nah, I was specifically referring to the TV show. I just don't like it when people say stuff along the lines of 'Beast Wars sucks because they don't turn into vehicles' without even giving it a chance as a TV show in it's own right. I'm not any kind of fanboy, I judge everything on it's own merits.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot
    Welcome. Hopefully your choice of username doesn't get too many people argueing with you. You'll find quite a few G1 fanboys here ready to argue with you about it's merits right away.
    I don't mind rational debates, if that's what you mean.

Also, how many posts do I need before my avatar appears?