Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: First look at Titans Return Powermaster Optimus

While the Headmaster gimmick would have been cool on the original Powermaster Prime, I'm kinda glad he didn't end up with those Micky Mouse wheel ears.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Remember that the original

So the 'headmaster' gimmick is actually a nod (heh) to Powermaster Optimus Prime's original head-gimmick concept. This is what Ono Koujin originally wanted for PM Prime/Super Ginrai, but was pipped at the post because the budget wouldn't allow for it. Hasbro's budget was even smaller than Takara's, hence why PM Prime is basically a cheaper version of the Ginrai toy. Godbomber (and thus God Ginrai) was originally meant to be a more complex toy too, but again budgetary constraints meant that this prototype was never mass produced and the final product was just a shadow of what could have been.
    Ah budgetary constraints always keeping Hasbro from greatness.

This is where I store my Powermaster Optimus Prime's head. As you can see, it's a really small space, and it'd be a far more snug fit if this head had wheels protruding from it and could fold out into a Roller buggy mode. I think that this space was designed to be just big enough to hold Roller, and not much else. It doesn't seem to be big enough to hold any of the carded 1988 Autobots (e.g. Throttlebots, Triggerbots etc.). The space doesn't do anything for the robot or base mode; it seems to serve no other purpose other than to hold Roller. And of course, it even has a ramp for Roller to roll up and down from.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I had no idea that the trailer had a ramp... I knew about the head storage, but not the ramp.

It was a brilliant and ambitious concept but i am happy Roller-head was dropped from the final version as the manufacturing was not at a level to somewhat hide the wheels and make it look any good.

On the other hand a Roller that was also a good looking Optimus head AND could be driven around base mode by Ginrai would have been the bees knees.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I've been away from the boards for a while.....
    Wowowowowowowow!

Just love this Prime (even if just a headmaster)