Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast

Thread: SPOILER THREAD: SW: The Force Awakens

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Luke never would have mentioned to Ben that his grandfather, Anakin, came back to the light side of the Force before his death? It never would have come up while training him? That it was Anakin that destroyed the Emperor and Empire?
    I think kylo had a warped perspective when it came to granddaddy Darth 😜

Whilst he was Darth he was on the right path of evil (a good thing in kylo's mind) then when he saw the light (or dark if you will in kylo's opinion) at the end of rotj kylo saw him lose sight of his rightful purpose.

Darth was corrupted by the light side of the force

Hence the whole 'I will finish what you have started'
    Sometimes all you need is a little energon and alotta luck...

↑Fair point

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    Human nature. Even law gives priority to the mum versus the dad in custody cases. The importance of your mum who nurture you cannot be overlooked. That's why parents who leave for work overseas are mostly male. The burden of care is on the mother while the financial responsibility is mostly on the father.
    Umm... 'kay...

Terran laws and precedents don't necessarily apply to alien civilisations set in a galaxy far, far away. I can think of no canonical evidence that supports your assertions in the Star Wars universe. So let's just stick with what we know is true in Star Wars according to what canonical evidence exists from the films.

Also, Leia also has the force. Han doesn't. Killing Han who cannot understand the power within him for me is easier than killing Leia who also knows the force. Both of these reasons in my opinion makes killing Leia more difficult and tormenting than killing Han. Han could just be sperm donor/one night stand and not really the father role that would've help guide him to the right path.
    First of all, Han does have the Force. All living things are attuned to the Force. Force Users are merely special individuals with an unusually high Midichlorian count in their blood^heightened sensitivity to the Force. And just because Han isn't Force sensitive doesn't mean that Ben would love him any less. Shmi Skywalker wasn't Force sensitive, but Anakin Skywalker always loved her. In the absence of any canonical evidence to the contrary, I think that it is reasonable to assume that Han was an equally loving parent to Ben as Leia was. Leia did say that perhaps giving Ben away to Luke for training (and thus separating themselves from Ben) might've been a mistake, but she used plural first person pronouns, which means that they were both equally guilty of this. It was words to the effect of, "We should never have..."; this implies that if Ben is going to hold a grudge against one parent, he would also hold it against the other. Furthermore, if Ben had a biased love towards his mother over his father, then surely Leia would've volunteered to go and get Ben back from Starkiller base instead of letting Han do it alone. Or if she was urgently needed at the Resistance Base, she would at least instruct Han to call her and let her speak with Ben should he find him.

And Han would not have been a one night stand who knocked up Leia and then buggered off. Han and Leia had a massive romance in The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi where Leia risked her life to save Han from Jabba the Hutt. The Force Awakens states that the relationship between Han, Leia and Ben didn't fall apart until after Ben became Kylo Ren and destroyed Luke's New Jedi Order. Ren wouldn't be emotionally conflicted over killing Han if he were such a bad father. You could tell that they both still loved each other, which made Ren's act of murdering him so difficult.

Vader is different than Ben. Windu vs Palpatine is easy for Anakin as he wants to acquire power that will prevent the death of Padme that he has foreseen. He is easily seduced by that power. After losing his mum, he doesn't want Padme to die as well.
    I wouldn't describe Anakin's fall the Dark Side as "easy." It took Palpatine years to groom Anakin from childhood, and even then, more years to continue to seduce him to the Dark Side. Anakin already had several tastes of the Dark Side before, but still always managed to return to the light. The two major incidents that we saw from the film were:
    1/ Committing genocide on the Tusken Raiders. While it was a horrible act, Anakin soon regretted his actions as he broken down and wept in front of Padmé. The anguish that he felt showed that he was still a good man who recognised that he had done a horrible thing ("I'm a Jedi. I know I'm better than this.") Anakin told Palpatine about this incident, which he then would've used to further groom him (e.g. telling Anakin that it was the right thing to do).
    2/ Executing Count Dooku. Dooku was a defeated and captured prisoner of war. He should have been arrested in order to stand trial, but Anakin beheaded him (thanks to being goaded by Palpy). But again, Anakin still refused to fall the Dark Side, as he immediately lamented his actions ("I shouldn't have done that. It's not the Jedi way."). And of course, Anakin never tells anyone except for Palpatine about these atrocities that he committed because he's ashamed.

When Windu and Palpatine are fighting, Anakin spends a long time standing there watching them fight. He is conflicted and doesn't know who to help. His mind is telling him to help Master Windu, but his heart is telling him to help Palpatine. Both Windu and Palpatine know that Anakin is conflicted, and both try to coerce Anakin; Windu telling him that Palpatine is too dangerous to be left alive because he controls the courts (which was true!), and Palpatine seducing Anakin with the promise of more power. Of course Anakin chooses power in the end, but it wasn't a quick decision. If it were 'easy' for Anakin, he would never have let Windu touch Palpatine in the first place. Heck, he probably would never have dobbed Palpatine into the Jedi either.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Umm... 'kay...
    Terran laws and precedents don't necessarily apply to alien civilisations set in a galaxy far, far away. I can think of no canonical evidence that supports your assertions in the Star Wars universe. So let's just stick with what we know is true in Star Wars according to what canonical evidence exists from the films.

First of all, Han does have the Force. All living things are attuned to the Force. Force Users are merely special individuals with an unusually high Midichlorian count in their blood^heightened sensitivity to the Force. And just because Han isn't Force sensitive doesn't mean that Ben would love him any less.
    This is stretching it a bit much but you aren't getting the point.
    Shmi Skywalker wasn't Force sensitive, but Anakin Skywalker always loved her.
    You are missing the point that there was no Dad in the picture. This is default. It's not because she isn't force sensitive. Two totally different situations.
    In the absence of any canonical evidence to the contrary, I think that it is reasonable to assume that Han was an equally loving parent to Ben as Leia was. Leia did say that perhaps giving Ben away to Luke for training (and thus separating themselves from Ben) might've been a mistake, but she used plural first person pronouns, which means that they were both equally guilty of this. It was words to the effect of, "We should never have..."; this implies that if Ben is going to hold a grudge against one parent, he would also hold it against the other.
    Han left to become a smuggler during Ben's conflicted time. At least Leia had responsibilities to the republic/rebels as a valid excuse to not be there for Kylo when he was conflicted. There's no evidence either way so it isn't reasonable to assume either way. Being both equally at fault just means that they do not blame what the other did even if each thinking that he/she is more at fault. Guilt/blame doesn't really help their situation so it was pointless to focus on that.

Furthermore, if Ben had a biased love towards his mother over his father, then surely Leia would've volunteered to go and get Ben back from Starkiller base instead of letting Han do it alone. Or if she was urgently needed at the Resistance Base, she would at least instruct Han to call her and let her speak with Ben should he find him.
    If you say so and if you think that a call is equivalent to being there.

And Han would not have been a one night stand who knocked up Leia and then buggered off. Han and Leia had a massive romance in The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi where Leia risked her life to save Han from Jabba the Hutt. The Force Awakens states that the relationship between Han, Leia and Ben didn't fall apart until after Ben became Kylo Ren and destroyed Luke's New Jedi Order. Ren wouldn't be emotionally conflicted over killing Han if he were such a bad father. You could tell that they both still loved each other, which made Ren's act of murdering him so difficult.
    Still not getting it? I just meant that his role in guiding Ben is lacking as he doesn't know what it's truly like to have that kind of power. Han couldn't teach Ben as he isn't "Force sensitive". Expanding the extent of their romantic relationship isn't the point. You can always love someone but not be there for them. Han didn't want to come home to Leia.

Of course Anakin chooses power in the end, but it wasn't a quick decision. If it were 'easy' for Anakin, he would never have let Windu touch Palpatine in the first place. Heck, he probably would never have dobbed Palpatine into the Jedi either.
    You didn't get the point. The comparison is choosing to kill your parent versus a head Jedi. I said it would be "easier" to kill Windu than it is to kill your own flesh and blood just so that you can have "power".

I'll end this here before it goes into a further long winded sidetracked discussion.

Can someone please tell me what Obi-Wan and Yoda say during the vision.

Ben (Old Obi-Wan) Rey... these are your first steps
    Obi-Wan ???
    Yoda ???
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

Also, imagine if Anakin had helped Master Windu...
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

XMan is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Maybe they should've killed off Leia instead Han. That would be a very tormenting/haunting event for Ben/Ren.
    Though in your opinion Leia isnt his mother, so why would the effect be anymore than Han's?

And if that theory is true, the reveal in a later movie would become rather ridiculed.

"I have taken my final steps into darkness, towards the darkside and ultima..."

"oh... he wasn't actually your dad."

"ok... kinda a pointless act then really."

You could argue Ren didnt know, so the act should still mean something, but that's a massive stretch!

Megatran Guest

I finally worked out what was missing from this film. COMMANDER RIKER.

Valvoline, you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by XMan View Post
    Though in your opinion Leia isnt his mother, so why would the effect be anymore than Han's?

And if that theory is true, the reveal in a later movie would become rather ridiculed.

"I have taken my final steps into darkness, towards the darkside and ultima..."

"oh... he wasn't actually your dad."

"ok... kinda a pointless act then really."

You could argue Ren didnt know, so the act should still mean something, but that's a massive stretch!
    What? Can you read again?

I like Kylo's lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    I like Kylo's lightsaber
    I guess I'm still old school. I prefer the older style saber.