Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: SPOILER THREAD: SW: The Force Awakens

Considering Kylo managed to hold a laser beam in mid air, make a cup of tea, have a lay down & discuss world politics before releasing it, taking a shot from Chewie who was up way up high in the rafters seems rather weak to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The only "spoiler" I had actually seen was in that Batteries ad that had the girl dressed as Rey using the force!
    I personally never saw that as a spoiler (even in hindsight), but rather just an image of kids playing around with Star Wars. Similar to how a lot of kids might imagine themselves as Han Solo and still wield a lightsabre anyway! It doesn't canonically make sense, but you're just having fun swinging your plastic swords about pretending to be hacking baddies apart.

I do like how neither the Finn or Rey action figures come with a light sabre.
    When it ended on the comic beat of the thumbs up I laughed out loud.
    Some people interpreted it as Beebee flipping Finn the bird.
    I was a bit confused about the relationship between the New Republic and the Resistance. I wondered if there's something to be said about the former Rebels and how they just keep looking for a fight even after they "won". How big was the First Order? A Starkiller base and a ship or whole star systems in their grasp? All the planets in this film seemed awfully close to each other too. But these are things that I think about watching a film like this because I'm interested in the big picture of this universe.
    Yeah, that confuses me too. The Alliance have now become the Republic, the new reigning government. This means that the First Order are now the resistance. How can a government-backed force be called a 'resistance'? What are they resisting against? Shouldn't they just be called Republic Forces/Army?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Hard to disagree with your Transformers reference. Doesn't take much convincing.
    Star Wars at its worst is better than Transformers at its best. Sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    All this talk of Luke Sky<expletive> being Rey's father. I don't ever recall Luke ever getting married or laid for that matter. For all we know, he's the 40 year old virgin. My bet is on a plot twist with Luke being Finn's father, albeit through sperm donation. Let's see scripwriters working that into the script.
    Perhaps he conceived Rey through the Force.
    I still really hope that Rey isn't related to the Skywalkers at all. It's just too damn predictable. And the last thing that the sequels need is more predictability.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, that confuses me too. The Alliance have now become the Republic, the new reigning government. This means that the First Order are now the resistance. How can a government-backed force be called a 'resistance'? What are they resisting against? Shouldn't they just be called Republic Forces/Army?
    I'm sure it's all explained in guidebooks, novels, comics etc but it should be clearer from just the text of the movie.

My interpretation as I thought about it was that the First Order must rule over a chunk of the former Empire and are trying to expand it, and therefore in conflict with the New Republic's "free worlds". Former Rebel alliance members, including several of their former leaders, have entered First Order space and are recreating a new Rebel alliance amongst the people of the worlds within the First Order's control; Creating a "Resistance" movement in the occupied worlds rather than the New Republic going to war.

XMan is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Considering Kylo managed to hold a laser beam in mid air, make a cup of tea, have a lay down & discuss world politics before releasing it, taking a shot from Chewie who was up way up high in the rafters seems rather weak to me.
    True, but each Stormtrooper hit by it was thrown back like 6 feet, so they showed the capacity of the gun being much larger than your simple blaster.

With regard to the fight at the end and how Kylo Ren was beaten:

Kylo Ren took a shot from Chewie's bowcaster. The wound slowed him down and made him less effective in combat, but one observation that someone made was that he was punching himself in the wound to make himself feel pain and anger, which would fuel his dark side power/connection. Still, the pain would be distracting.

Kylo is probably also feeling conflicted/distracted, maybe even guilty, from killing his father just a few minutes prior.

He's not very disciplined - you see this in his lightsaber-swinging tantrums. Compare this to Vader at the end of The Empire Strikes Back when the Millennium Falcon escapes - Vader simply walks off the bridge instead of erupting into a rage.

Basically, Kylo Ren isn't as effective as he could be; he can't concentrate and is injured.

Now, to Finn and Rey:

Finn has most likely had melee combat training, being an ex-stormtrooper, so he's probably handled melee weapons at some point. He's already handled the lightsaber, so he has a vague idea how to use it, if not handle it with appropriate technique. He may even have had some unseen practice messing around with it aboard the Falcon on the way to Starkiller base.

Rey has melee combat experience - she used the staff to good effect on Jakku, so she's agile and has good body control, and her use of a staff goes some way to helping her handle a sword. Plus, her newfound proficiency with the lightsaber was a way of showing her newfound Force ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    He's not very disciplined - you see this in his lightsaber-swinging tantrums. Compare this to Vader at the end of The Empire Strikes Back when the Millennium Falcon escapes - Vader simply walks off the bridge instead of erupting into a rage.
    I really don't know if Vader's much better though. When Ren has a tantrum, he damages property. When Vader gets mad, he kills his own officers! When Ren gets mad, they send in a repair crew. When Vader gets angry, they send in the coroner.

One of my favourite abilities in the Star Wars Miniatures game is this Commander Effect from Darth Vader, Dark Jedi:
    Whenever an allied character without a Force rating gets a natural 1 on any roll, that character is defeated and all other allies without a Force rating get a +2 Attack. (These bonuses stack)
    So what this means is that if any non Force-user on Vader's team rolls a 1 on a 20 sided die roll (which means a critical failure), Vader kills that character, which then scares the Poodoo out of the rest of the team who all fight harder (hence the +2 to Attack) because they don't want to be next! And if another character rolls a 1, they also get killed and everyone else gets another +2 to Attack (hence it becomes a +4, +6, +8 etc.). Every time I played a squad with Darth Vader, Dark Jedi in it and I'd roll a 1, I would put on my Vader voice and say, "You have failed me for the last time," and make choking noises as I removed that defeated piece off the map!

Vader seemed able to draw strength from his rage, whereas it might be more of a liability for Ren. But this may further serve to demonstrate that Ren's (attempted) conversion to the Dark Side hasn't been nearly as comprehensive as Vader's. He's arguably more of a wannabe Sith.

I've heard the Disney Infinity game has given away Rey's background. Apparently there is a section where Kylo refers to Rey as his cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    I've heard the Disney Infinity game has given away Rey's background. Apparently there is a section where Kylo refers to Rey as his cousin.
    It's been debunked by the person that started it.

YouTube personalty Joe Vargas, A.K.A Angry Joe, posted a video online claiming that Disney Infinity 3.0 spoiled the currently mystery parentage of Rey.

It sounds like he says, “Face me cousin!”

Kylo Ren merely says “Face Me!” before a barrel explodes above him, making him say “Curses!”. It was just well timed so they sounded like a complete sentence. Joe ended up taking his video down and confirming his mistake in a tweet.

I like to think he's new and Snoke isn't a full blown Sith.

We need someone like Grand Admiral Thrawn. Not Force sensitive but just as big a threat.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

Star Wars at its worst is better than Transformers at its best. Sadly.
    I dunno about that, the prequels are pretty bad, I think I'd rather watch Transformers 1 over the abysmal Episode 2 at least.