Page 27 of 152 FirstFirst ... 71722232425262728293031323747 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football (all sorts) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    I missed the game (couldn't care less about dogs/eels) but when I saw the footage of Hayne kneeing an opposition player in the neck when he should have just jumped over him my first thought was "4 weeks". Then my second thought was, "no, the NRL is trying to get Parra a premiership, he'll get off."

If it had have been Slater doing the exact same thing (or any melbourne player) he would have been given 3-4 weeks easy.

Chicken wing was iffy, I don't think the intent was there, but it was still a chicken wing tackle. Good decision to put him on report then dropping the charge after the game.
    What a load of BS that ruling was. Cam Smith was suspended last year for the final and both Hayne and Keating get off with a slap on the wrist. Anyway, this is the final I wanted anyway, since Slater will show Hayne why he's the incumbent Test fullback. People seem to forget that Slater has been consistent all year but Hayne suddenly decides in last 10 weeks he wants to play and now he's the golden child.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    What a load of BS that ruling was. Cam Smith was suspended last year for the final and both Hayne and Keating get off with a slap on the wrist. Anyway, this is the final I wanted anyway, since Slater will show Hayne why he's the incumbent Test fullback. People seem to forget that Slater has been consistent all year but Hayne suddenly decides in last 10 weeks he wants to play and now he's the golden child.
    Actually Hayne has been good all year when at fullback not at 5/8 where we started him this season

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Gotta agree with you there Trunks. I almost wannasee parra win just so Fatbot will be happy but I think they had a bit of luck. I thought that touch judge had money on Parra goingoff some of his decisions. Oh and what's the difference between Jarryd Hayne's knee drop and Bryce Gibbs' knee drop. Why was Hayne only given a grade1 and Gibbs a grade 2 !? (thats a rhetorrical question. Being an NRL fan I know they are pushing their new golden boy)
    I think with the grading he got a Grade 1 due to the fact that it was from a kick and he was going for the loose ball initally but with Gibbs one Burt already had the ball in his possession before even going for the try. I know the debate would rage on but I think they got it right and it will make for a better and more entertaining game, like come off it who wouldn't want Hayne VS Slater.
    Last edited by mknell; 28th September 2009 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mknell View Post
    Actually Hayne has been good all year when at fullback not at 5/8 where we started him this season
    That is what makes Hayne an okay footballer, not a great one. He can only play fullback/wing. Put him anywhere else and he is a liability.

I think with the grading he got a Grade 1 due to the fact that it was from a kick and he was going for the loose ball initally but with Gibbs one Burt already had the ball in his possession before even going for the try. I know the debate would rage on but I think they got it right and it will make for a better and more entertaining game, like come off it who wouldn't want Hayne VS Slater.
    The fact that Burt took a dive didnt hurt either. Kneeing someone intentionally (he went to his knees when there was no need) in the neck is much worse than copping it to the backside.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I would have preferred to see Lachlan Coote, Gidley or Bowen vs. Slater in the grand final. They are all better fullbacks than Hayne. (so are Stewart and Hunt, but I dont like either player)
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

That is what makes Hayne an okay footballer, not a great one. He can only play fullback/wing. Put him anywhere else and he is a liability.

The fact that Burt took a dive didnt hurt either. Kneeing someone intentionally (he went to his knees when there was no need) in the neck is much worse than copping it to the backside.

And I don't know about anyone else, but I would have preferred to see Lachlan Coote, Gidley or Bowen vs. Slater in the grand final. They are all better fullbacks than Hayne. (so are Stewart and Hunt, but I dont like either player)
    Hayne's problem at 5/8 is he tried to do more than he should, where at fullback he can rove a bit more, it's the same with Slater really put him at 5/8 and it just wouldn't work. Where a player like Gidley it does work as he is a great utility player in that way. Just remember Hayne is only 21, in previous years he has done quite well for himself, in 06 he was great in his first year, was very good in 07, last year he was way too quiet coz he was stupid and got shot at and I think that really shook him up.

You must really really hate Hayne don't you?

I personally think Hayne is great, Slater's just a better, consistent player all round. What I don't like is the fact that alot of people are now jumping on the Hayne/Parra bandwagon now that they're winning. My mate at work who is the biggest Parra suporter I know, wrote off Parra this year and was bagging out the players and coach and how Finchy was pushed out, Anderson is a crap coach blah, blah, blah, now they're winning he's singing their praises!!! Where's the loyalty??!
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

You must really really hate Hayne don't you?
    Not at all, he is fine Fullback, just nowhere near as good as the media have pumped him up to be over the past 10 weeks. I think his experience with the Fijian national side stopped him from turning into a SBW type player, and having solid role models like Hindmarsh and Cayless around would not have hurt.

What I hate is the complete inconsistency concerning the NRL.

Still, I fully expect the Eels to do a 2001 and choke.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    I personally think Hayne is great, Slater's just a better, consistent player all round. What I don't like is the fact that alot of people are now jumping on the Hayne/Parra bandwagon now that they're winning. My mate at work who is the biggest Parra suporter I know, wrote off Parra this year and was bagging out the players and coach and how Finchy was pushed out, Anderson is a crap coach blah, blah, blah, now they're winning he's singing their praises!!! Where's the loyalty??!
    I'm a huge parra fan & season ticket holder, barely missed a game this year bar ones overseas & interstate. I loved that we got rid of Finchy, he is a player that buckles when he is the main focus to organise the team & get the job done where at Melbourne he has players like Cronk & Smith to do this instead. All season I thought Anderson was doing a great job but in my eyes he was looking to the future and building a team not really thinking about getting it this year.

Not at all, he is fine Fullback, just nowhere near as good as the media have pumped him up to be over the past 10 weeks. I think his experience with the Fijian national side stopped him from turning into a SBW type player, and having solid role models like Hindmarsh and Cayless around would not have hurt.

What I hate is the complete inconsistency concerning the NRL.

Still, I fully expect the Eels to do a 2001 and choke.
    Yeah I agree that he could have very much turned into a SBW, if we loose I wouldn't call it a choke because we weren't the raging favorites and leading all year, I think we have exceded expectations.

Not at all, he is fine Fullback, just nowhere near as good as the media have pumped him up to be over the past 10 weeks. .
    QFT

The media makes Hayne out to be some sort of super freak with ESp or something. No he just has more time because he is a fullback. We saw what happened earlier in the year when he was in the number 6 jersey. Put any playmaker in the fullback attacking position and watch them shine.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Your 100% right, Hayne can only play the two positions, but then they aren't many footballers today who can play more then that. Slater can't, Cam Smith can't, yet people recognise these two as being among the best footballers ever produced. The only player, past or present that i can think of that can play mutiple roles would be Lockyer. Even if we go back a few years men like Webke, Andrew Johns, Langmack, Fittler, Langer, Lewis and many many others who are considered to be among the greats only ever played ONE position successfully, yet you think a players no good unless he can play 3 or more positions?

Part of a successful football side, not matter what the shape of the ball, is picking the right player in the right position, it doesn't matter if that player can only play in the one position. it would be nice if players could be moved and swapped around willy nilly, but in reality, it's better to have players play in a position that they can excel at, no matter what that position is, Hayne and every other player in the Eels squad proves that point.

Further poof for this point comes from the Bulldogs and Eels squads from the '80's, every single player played in the one position, and between the two squads dominated rugby league for eight years.
    Incoming:
    Preordered:
    Recent Buys:

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    load of Bartrim manure
    Welcome to Grantmart!:
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...1496#post61496

Lockyer was always a 5/8th, but Bennett stuck him at Fullback until 5/8th became available (he debuted at 5/8th during an Origin series when the Broncos were depleted). It's testament to him that he thrived at fullback.

There are players from time to time who can excel in multiple positions - Greg Florimo & Jason Croker are (older) examples, but they're the exception in league, rather than the rule. I can't think of any top players in the last few years who have been able to serve as true "utility" players. Mannering at the Warriors is very versatile, but he's not quite at the same level that Lockyer is (and Croker and Florimo were).

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister