Page 2 of 152 FirstFirst 12345671222 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football (all sorts) Thread

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    It's cos we're Melbournians and we happen to be superior.
    ...And yet another South Aussie wins the Brownlow!

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by jacksplatt11 View Post
    oh tell me about it man, apparently its all their talking about in all the sydney media... the only reason smith got charged is because all the other teams complained and the media kept replaying it etc and calling it a "grapple", storm aren't even in the top 3 for grapple tackles i heard, yet we seem to be the only team that it gets brought up against?

sydney teams and media are just jealous haha
    It's got me wondering...

Here in Sydney, League is the media's No.1 sport but I was wondering how the Melb media treats the Storm & all things league?

Does it rate just behind AFL or is it an afterthought?

well we're getting way off the topic of the brownlow here haha, but...

bearing in mind i cant speak for payTV because i dont have it, but...

here in vic, 9 give rugby league nearly the same amount of air time that is given in NSW and QLD as far as i know, except at terrible hours..we get the the NRL footy show thurs nights at 11 or so, the friday night games are shown from midnight to 4am, and the sunday night game at midnight on the sun.. we dont get the sunday NRL shows.. 9 in vic just wont put NRL up against AFL, which is fair enough because the AFL would just completly dominate the ratings against NRL, but they could show it at a more reasonable hour like 10-11pm.. we've only gotten 2 live storm games here, the match against parra were we had 10 or so players out with origin duties, and the quarter final the other week against NZ, both because there was no AFL on the sun, so you can see why 9 put them on.. the other live matches we get here in vic are all 3 origins, and the grand final, also some tests if, once against there is no AFL.. the game just passed, storm vs broncos, was the best game ive ever seen, and we had to wait till 12:30 here to see it, wtf.. they coulda showed it 10:30-11, if not live like it should, but instead they put on white chicks.. beats me..

so my little rant over, it basically comes down to AFL would completely destroy NRL one on one in the ratings, so 9 only put them on late, unless there is no AFL game on.. storm only get games shown if they are the ones showed on 9, ie if storm play on a sat, one of the games not shown on a sun, or a monday, we don't get to see it, even though in the AFL, all the interstate teams usually get their matches shown in their home city no matter where they are being played... this is due to the fact of the game sharing between 9 and Fox though, so... in conclusion, us storm fans get a pretty raw deal

Thanks for that Jacksplatt

You could say it's kinda the exact opposite here. Ch 9 shows a league double-header on Friday from 7:30-11:30, Fox Sports shows all the Sat games live & on Sunday Ch 9 shows the most important game from 4-6pm while Fox Sports show the rest of the Sunday games live.

When it comes to AFL, Unless the Swans are playing (who get prime time coverage) the free-to-air networks show their games after 11 on Fri/Sat nights while Ch 7 shows Sunday's game from 2-5pm (I think?). Fox Sports shows the other games live or on delayed telecast? (I'm not sure... )

About the Footy Shows, the League one on Thurs is at 9:30pm while the AFL one starts at 11:30pm or so that night. On Sunday, they show the League Footy Show 11am-12 followed by the Sunday Roast for another hour. We don't get the AFL Sunday Footy Show.

I guess Different markets = different interests...

Sorry, I'm hijacking threads again...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksplatt11 View Post
    so... in conclusion, us storm fans get a pretty raw deal
    Yup and that pretty much sums it up. I love the storm but the most I ever do is read up about the online or watch the 5 second highlights reel on the news which is pretty damned annoying.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I admit I have very limited knowledge of football, most of which gathered from being in the same room when The Footy Show is on TV, but I have never heard of this Cooney guy before. I knew of the other runner ups but not him.

I was watching the Emmys on Foxtel anyway last night.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    It's cos we're Melbournians and we happen to be superior.
    That would be true and all, if the Melbourne storm were not a team of 75% Queenslanders and 25% Kiwi's!

As long as Cronulla get the crap kicked out of them this weekend I'm sweet, there are people on each of the other 3 teams that I am more than happy to see hoist the grand final trophy week after next.
    (Menzies at Manly, Price at the Warriors, Geyer at Melbourne)
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    That would be true and all, if the Melbourne storm were not a team of 75% Queenslanders and 25% Kiwi's!
    hey, theres a few new south welshmen in the team too haha, but i'll agree they're all non-vics, apart from jeremy smith who although is a new zealander, played all his junior rugby at altona, so there you go..

im backing melb storm, even without cam smith if he doesnt get off, i definitely don't want cronulla to win, i love the way the warriors play though so if its not the storm, hopefully its them..

go storm

Smith copped a two week ban. That just f---ing reeks. I just hope it's a Warriors-Storm final just to shove it down the f---ing the throat of every stinkin' News South Welshman. Seriously, I was watching footage of like 25 other "grapple" tackles from players of other clubs. Sorely disillusioned in a game I was coming to love.

At the rate the NRL is going, it might as well call itself the NSWRL b/c in a decade that might just about be the extent of its pitiful existence.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Not a happy camper ay...

Hey, my teams finished 11th & 12th this year (Parra & Penrith) & you don't see me complaining...