Page 38 of 152 FirstFirst ... 182833343536373839404142434858 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football (all sorts) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    Oh, they looked good, but forgot to actually take the Swiss defence seriously. Basically they spent the first hour passing the ball around without really trying to test the Swiss defence - like that would be enough to eventually crack the Swiss and score. From memory I think the Spanish side, with something ridiculous like 75% possession, managed a single shot on goal in the first half hour.

Of course, the Swiss were always going to focus on getting their defence set for this game... and were going to need more than pretty passing & possession to break them down. It looked good, but I found myself pretty bored after a while - and was glad when Switzerland took the lead.

Switzerland's goal was sloppy & oppurtunistic, but it shouldn't have taken that goal for the Spanish to actually try and test the Swiss defence. And of course once they had the goal, Switzerland were essentially playing a 10-0-0 formation (not that I blame them).
    Much agreed, Spain easily bested the Swiss on the field but when they got within proximity of goal it was mostly a case of whoever having possession at the time (usually unsupported) taking a random potshot. There weren't many attempts at a coordinated 'play' at all.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post

You're right though, the next game ain't worth watching. Unless you wanted to watch a whitewash
    Or a good bit of biff
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

I am hoping to make it the ANZ Stadium for the 3-0 and make the 5-in-a-Row even sweeter

And in World Cup news - I hope Pim Verbeek ends up letting our strikers play - as strikers not striker!

Not a bad side Bobby, but Gidley at 7? He struggles there for the Knights, but that maybe because of the terrible halves partners they have there. Bet they rue letting Smith get rid of Walsh, and keep Dureu instead...

NSW should be able to muster a team to compete with QLD, they are missing a dominant number 9 and number 6, but so will QLD when Lockyer retires. (Prince maybe?)

Nigeria vs. Greece game is getting more interesting by the second...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I heard the sydney herald have the headline "Australasia 1, Slovakia 1"
    LOL ....... unbelievable.
    No matter, weve got a small unknown team next umm ummm Italy is it? Never heard of them must be minows

Hunting: Alternators, Binaltechs. Loose or Boxed
    Hunting: Bravestar figure 'Thunderstick'
    Collection:My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Oldschool78 View Post
    I heard the sydney herald have the headline "Australasia 1, Slovakia 1"
    LOL ....... unbelievable.
    While it doesn't make up for Australia's loss I'm happy for NZ. Really, I am. It's great for Football across the ditch - what's not to be happy about?

No matter, weve got a small unknown team next umm ummm Italy is it? Never heard of them must be minows
    Heh. While as an Australian I do wish you guys well, as an Italian-Australian, I can't say I hope you replicate your fortune in the next game! Having said that, you didn't disgrace yourself last time around (as Australia did), and hopefully wont this time - a narrow loss to Italy bears no shame.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Heh. While as an Australian I do wish you guys well, as an Italian-Australian, I can't say I hope you replicate your fortune in the next game! Having said that, you didn't disgrace yourself last time around (as Australia did), and hopefully wont this time - a narrow loss to Italy bears no shame.
    Wooooo!!!! Forza Italia!!!!!!
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

While it doesn't make up for Australia's loss I'm happy for NZ. Really, I am. It's great for Football across the ditch - what's not to be happy about?

Man there has been quiet the celebration over here with that draw. If we managed to sneak a win.... not italy but the other one weve got. Holy Holy the party over here will be off the richter

Hunting: Alternators, Binaltechs. Loose or Boxed
    Hunting: Bravestar figure 'Thunderstick'
    Collection:My Collection

Japan ultimately failed. First half was abysmal to watch, second half was much better. Got to respect the Dutch for not totally collapsing into a defensive game after going 1 up. It kept the match interesting to watch.

Australia

Cant pass
    Cant control
    Cant Mark
    Cant shoot
    Are too slow
    they are un-prepared

i am not watching the next game.