Page 8 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131828 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football (all sorts) Thread

Did anyone else think it was odd that the selectors picked Anthony Tupou as Crockers replacement after he was picked by his hertiage nation to play?
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Loving that Todd Carney and Greg Bird aren't getting away with their idiocy anymore, NSW police seem intent on charging Bird, very hopeful they get him and put him away, means he cant be a thug on the field anymore (now they only have to get Gallen!)
    Yep, hopefully Bird gets put away. Never liked him on the field, and anyone who hits women deserves to be put away for a long time. The Hunt, Thaiday and Boyd sexual assault case seems to have gone very quiet, I haven't heard anything about that in a while, are there any reports on it up in Sydney?

NRL seem to have problem with players and their off field behavior. I looked at a list a NRL incidents few weeks ago, and it was just crazy the amount of alleged and proven incidents and the players involved. They have to bring in some kind of education program for the younger players so they know how to act properly, I know its common sense, but there is obviously something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Did anyone else think it was odd that the selectors picked Anthony Tupou as Crockers replacement after he was picked by his hertiage nation to play?
    The eligibility rules are very strange, apparently players can change their allegiance once between world cups. So Tupou was Australian up to now, didn't get picked, went to training with Tonga because he's eligibile to play for them, with all intentions of playing, then Aus need him so all of a sudden hie's back to being Aussie? Once you pick your country that you are eligible for, that should be it. Not changing just so you can get a game.

Nothing much about the Broncos toilet tryst here since they lost their final to the Storm. Last I had heard was that the 3 players involved in the act may get off completely or very lightly, as the big part was the alleged 4th member with the phone.
    Still the guys are idiots for even going ahead with it, there are reports in the news every week about these kinds of incidents, and the NRL players are given plenty of education, which I would hope included some time on "celebrity hunters/groupies/moderately psychotic persons".
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Nothing much about the Broncos toilet tryst here since they lost their final to the Storm. Last I had heard was that the 3 players involved in the act may get off completely or very lightly, as the big part was the alleged 4th member with the phone.
    Just like every other "off-field incident" in Football (ie. the Bulldogs thing from a couple of years ago), they brush it under the carpet & make it disappear... *shakes head*

I don't know if anyone else has read this, but I read on the NRL site earlier today that Wally Lewis thinks that instead of AUS competing in the WC, that NSW and QLD should compete..

To be honest, I think that either of those teams could still handle most of the others, apart from NZ and ENG would probably have a greater chance, but really why should we make it easier for the other teams?

I get bored of seeing us thrash other teams, don't get me wrong I love to see us aussies win, but I would much rather see more competetive matches. I don't think it is our duty to make our teams weaker, the other countries have to step up and improve their teams... I know it can be hard in a lot of countries when there isn't a lot of money in sport and there is not a proffesional competition of the same calibre of the NRL, but give it time and they will improve..

I know there was a similar idea brought up in cricket a few years ago, where AUS would just compete as our different states, but the same rationale still holds for me, why should we make it easier for the other teams? They should improve...

Plus it would also take away one of the main aims for a lot of players, both proffesional and kids, and not only RL but all sports, and that is to play for your country..

Anyone else have a thought on this? Perhaps for tour/exhibition matches it could be a good idea, but in a proffesional competition like the WC I don't think it is the right option..

And so Stewart and Cooper are out, Hunt and Boyd come in.

Are we really that low for centres that Boyd had to be called?
    Should be interesting to see what will happen with the case against these two, if the QLD Police hold off charges till after the World Cup or not.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

No surprise that Hunt replaces Stewart but Boyd? Come on selectors pick an actual centre. Chris Lawrence deserves a call up!!!!!

Strange choices I agree, especially as it looks like they're ignoring the sexual assualt case, I know innocent until proven guilty, but what would happen if they were charged with something while the WC is on?

Anywho, Hunt for Stewart is a given, but Boyd for Hodges, strange I agree. I suppose they could move Folau to the centres and Boyd could go on the wing, but I would much rather leave Folau on the wing and bring in a true centre. I would've loved to have seen Robbie Farah come in, I know he's not a centres player but I believe he can bring much more to the squad than Boyd.

These few losses won't remove Aus from being favourite, but you can't help but feel that the other countries will believe they have a greater chance now, albiet probably slightly.