Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast

Thread: TFA/Animated Comments thread

<shudders> that was an awful episode... Ultra Magnus' death in the cartoon would have to be one of the _worst_ deaths in TF history ever. (-_-)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    <shudders> that was an awful episode... Ultra Magnus' death in the cartoon would have to be one of the _worst_ deaths in TF history ever. (-_-)
    He just couldn't deal with the writers killing him off
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

I got Snarl a few days ago.

I love him. He might not be the most poseable toy, but I just really like him. His transformation especially, since it's a neat twist on 'stand up and switch heads'.

The only problem I have with him is that his robot head is a bit visible in his dinosaur mode. This is, though, minor, since it's not glaringly obvious, especially compared to others (coughEnergonIronhidecoughTFAGrimlockcough)

Incidentally, is it just me, or are the Animated deluxes more enjoyable than the voyagers? I've liked the deluxes I've gotten more than the voyagers I have (of course, those voyagers happen to be Blitzwing and Starscream, so maybe I just haven't been getting the best guys).

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    Incidentally, is it just me, or are the Animated deluxes more enjoyable than the voyagers? I've liked the deluxes I've gotten more than the voyagers I have (of course, those voyagers happen to be Blitzwing and Starscream, so maybe I just haven't been getting the best guys).
    The Deluxes have just been so exceptionally well done that they overshadow their Voyager counterparts. So far I feel that the Voyager figures are just for size scaling of particular key characters that would be way too small as a deluxe. Even the Voyager size for Bulkhead and Lugnut still is very small especially in light of large deluxe figures like Lockdown, Ratchet and Bumblebee's massive feet (which is the size of Legends Bb each).

So far Shockwave is my favorite Voyager. Very awful alt modes, not too bad Longarm robot spy mode but is totally redeemed by Shockwave robot mode. Plus the "automorph" transformation of the head from Longarm to Shockwave and back is creative. Also the insignia changing too. This sucker is as tall as a Leader and has quickly becaome my favorite Animated figure BEHIND Lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon
    The only problem I have with him is that his robot head is a bit visible in his dinosaur mode. This is, though, minor, since it's not glaringly obvious, especially compared to others (coughEnergonIronhidecoughTFAGrimlockcough)
    *high-5*

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy
    The Deluxes have just been so exceptionally well done that they overshadow their Voyager counterparts. So far I feel that the Voyager figures are just for size scaling of particular key characters that would be way too small as a deluxe.
    But Voyagers cost around $45-50 whereas Deluxes cost around $25-30. So considering that Voyagers cost nearly twice as much as Deluxes, one would naturally expect to get much better value for money other than just toys of the same or inferior engineering but at a bigger size. I feel that a lot of Deluxes these days offer better value for your dollar in terms of having better engineering for their size and at a substantially cheaper price point. Snarl may have the top of his robot head exposed in dino mode, but Grimlock has his entire robot head visible... considering that you pay an extra $20 (approx.) for Grimlock that's really, really poor form IMO.

Beast Machines Thrust is a better example of what they could've done - that toy is as tall as a Mega (e.g. Tankor) but was sold as a Deluxe. Basically it was a toy with Deluxe level engineering at the height of a Mega but sold at a Deluxe price point.

So far for Animated, I have opened and played with

1) Deluxe Bumblebee - The only win I had for the Transforming Contest during the meet, I've gotta say the transformation is pretty easy (for me). I'm more biased cause Bumbee is my favourite character anyway. I like the figure in general just not the stingers on the hand as they are not built properly (as other members have noticed). And his side windows also pop out easily if you're not careful when transforming. He does look better in Activator class, also more size and colour accurate.

2) Jazz - Great articulation and pretty easy to transform too. Figure is also not to flimsy and can pose pretty well too.

3) Ultra Magnus - Took some time to transform from Robot to Vehicle mode. Don't like the part at the back of the arms the plates aren't easy to fold properly and also the cannons on the front bumper (one side of mine is so hard to pull out that my finger nails almost broke and had to use a small screw driver. He looks great in robot mode though.

4) Jet Fire and Jet Storm / Safeguard - Just opened and played with them last night. Both are pretty flimsy figures and mine even has loose joints when they are so new! In Jet mode, the chest plate of Jet Fire keeps falling down and the leg of my Jet Storm is loose. In safeguard mode, my figures don't even join properly, as in the clips are pretty loose and can just come out easily. and on the back; "hands of Jet fire and jet storm" what do you do with them anyway?! They seemed out of place in safeguard mode.
    ~ JuzMel ~
    My son is taking over all my TFs!

My Swoop took a tumble and his head snapped off at the neck Ill have to get another one, which is a pain.
    i do NOT Play with toys...

But I DO occasionally do scale model assisted simulations in physical fight dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Scream Man View Post
    My Swoop took a tumble and his head snapped off at the neck Ill have to get another one, which is a pain.
    Did the neck itself snap or did the head just pop off, leaving the ball joint?

If it's the latter, you can just push it back on. I've accidentally decapitated my Swoop loads of times, and each time I'm just stuck the head back on the joint.

Just a quick rundown of what I think of my recent Animated acquisitions:

Blazing Lockdown

My favorite mold gets another repaint. This time round a gold and black theme. The alt mode lacks a few paint details that the original had. Particularly The front bumper, the spikes on the roof and the red stripe on the engine. The gold fire detail is well applied although could have benefitted on having a bit more, perhaps on the side of the vehicle. What was previously hasbro grey in the original mold is now hasbro gold.

The bot mode shows a tonne more gold that runs up his legs chest and over his face. The studs on his neck are painted gold, which makes the none painted studs on the roof/back a bit mroe dissapointing. Hands are still the same as before. The chainsaw weapon is smaller than I expected and uses a dull gold plastic. The effect overall is much better achieved with the bot mode in regards to colour with a dmonance of gold contrasting perfectly with the black. Striking as usual.

Blurr

Blurr's alt mode is a sleek curvy Cybertronian, old skool, speed racer hybrid in his classic light blue (allaspark?) scheme. 4 shades of blue (including the transparent ones) are offset by black wheels and windshield (which is matte black and not transparent). The wheels on the back actually do not roll and is static due to the engineering, although they did have a wheel in running along the middle of the tire. Overall a n excellent looking alt mode that is ruined only by the open rear of the vehicle. There is no panels to hide the back and the head can be seen. A small loose blue panel on the bonnet acts as a button that extends a spring loaded folding chainsaw-like weapon. You cannot do it if the vehicle is flat ont he floor as the saw fold outward

Blurr's botmode is another engineering marvel in the Animated line. The way it converts from alt to bot is interesting. You would assume the rear or front to fold out as the legs but instead the front wheels flip up towards the back to form arms (head is on the rear) and the back wheels flip down to form the legs via double hinges. The bonnet comes off to become a shield and weapon that can be attached on his back via two pegs. The robot is very lanky although not as tall as Lockdown but close. Also a very lithe figure with the skinniest legs I've seen on a deluxe figure. I'm amazed those knee joints are really tight and secure.

Articulation is not too bad, although the knees are quite high on his legs and despite the tiny feet and heels he can stand pretty well and get some pretty good poses. Overall a very impressive figure and a great homage.

Swindle

Hummer like alt mode with his huge disruptor located on the roof.army green, purple and black colour scheme to suit his weapon dealing persona. The truck itself looks ok, the front has the most detail with the insignia ont he bonnett and a clear plastic for the grille and windshield. The back of the vehicle is barren green with nary a paint app which is severly dissapointing. Wheels roll and a hex like hole for the weapon peg restricts it to a ratchet like swivel. A nice touch with the weapon is that there are purple stripes along its barrel that change to bright orange when the missile is pushed in. The alt mode is roughly the same size as Soundwave.

His bot mode is shot and squat just like Soundwave. Conversion is similar to Movie Dropkick/Salvage. The front of the truck turns into his bulky armswith the grill forming his hands and thumbs fold out. His head is quite huge and also features his cat like eyes when light is shone thru the light piping. One complaint with the figure is that the ball joint connecting the arm to the shoulder. The ball joint is normal plastic but the socket is clear plastic and the left arm on mine has some of the plastic crumble away and tends to pop off unless I push it deep enough to secure the arm to make the pose above possible. Also the folding front torso doesn't clip on securely and tends to flop back out as the tabs that its meant to keep it secure doesn't really do its job at all. Two dissapointing QC issues.

He also has a Super mode where you fold up his "wings and point the lasers attached over his shoulders. Folding his front torso down allows you to flip out a minigun. His weapon can only be attached on his right arm as the left arm has no socket for it. Articulation is limited on the legs due to the waist restricting the thighs from folding up too far. Arms are well articulated though.

Skywarp

A lot of you would have had your hands on the original Starscream mold. Nothing's changed here bar the paintjob which honours the original G1 character well. The only comment I can do is that the QC on the figure I got was terrible. The right leg peg that allows it to swivel horizontally is loose and popped off its socket and also a very loose horizontal pin-hige for the leg. The automorph for the arm feels to be a little broken as it didn't fold out as well as my original Starscream mold. Overall a great reapint but the QC on this one is terrible.

Shockwave

Shockwave is a phenomenal figure ruined by very crappy alt modes. The tank and crane vehicles are a joke and are loose and clunky. Conversion from one to the other requires you to just fold the treads up or down. Although the weapon itself has a very nifty double automorph from one weapon to the other. Otherwise utter garbage alts.

Robot mode is altogehter a different story. Longarm is bulky and stout. Big arms and chunky legs exagerrated by having no neck. Conversion from Longarm to Shockwave robot mode is where the real fun is. Longarms height is standard Voyager height in bot mode but Shockwave is even taller. Conversion involves elongating the arms and legs and a really funky automorph for the head that flips up Longarms face to reveal a black moutharea and also reveal a neck further elongating Shockwaves height which he now stands at the height of the Leader sized figures. The insignia ont he chest rotates to choose factions.

Overall I love Shockwave and is probably my current 2009 fave figure just for the bot mode alone. The difference between the two bot modes may seem subtle but they once you see the proper bot modes. The difference is a lot more pronounced.

END

Great reviews, Stompy - I eagerly look forward to those toys' Australian release.