Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: TFA/Animated Comments thread

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    Swoop is great. I shall tell you why.

PTERANODON MODE

Swoop's alternate mode is a Pteranodon, a flying reptile that lived 65 million years ago. As TF Pteranodons go, it isn't particularly realistic. The legs are far too long, and the wings far too narrow. Also, their mouths did not have teeth. However, this is Animated, so I'll let the last one slide.

He's blue, grey, red, and gold, which are colours he shares with the other Dinobots, so that they have a uniform look. I feel that the colours work for him. On the back of his wings he has circuit-board style patterning, which seems to be something a lot of Animated toys have (e.g. Ratchet and Snarl). It's actually kind of cool, and serves to reinforce the fact that Swoop is robotic.

Swoop is articulated at the neck, wings, legs, and feet. The neck can move up and down (not side to side), the wings can move down (but not straight up-Swoop won't be totally flapping his wings), and the legs and feet are ball-jointed. Also, his mouth can open and close, and his front and back claws can move independently of each other, allowing Swoop to perch on things to some extent.

Overall, it's a good Pteranodon, although there are some things, such as the wing articulation, that could be fixed.

TRANSFORMATION

Swoop transforms in a way that people with Beast Machines toys will find familiar-essentially, he stands up and switches heads.

The limbs stay where they are (the legs extend a bit while the arms unclip from the wings), while the wings fold down and the upper torso splits and moves upward to enclose the beak, which folds down to reveal Swoop's robot face. The torso then clips onto the backplate of the wings to stay in place. Finally, Swoop's neck extends.

ROBOT MODE

Swoop's robot mode retains all the colours of his beast mode. Despite the Animated stylings, he has many visual homages to his G1 incarnation-notably the crest and the beak on his chest.

He is very much an example of the Animated aesthetic, being thin and spindly in a way that most Transformers before now haven't been. It's very much a non-traditional design-although this does not mean that Swoop doesn't look good. In fact, the aesthetic comes together to produce a very distinctive design that oozes character, especially with the face and the cape that the wings make.

Swoop comes with a mace and chain weapon. Like the other Dinobots' weapons, it has a volcanic appearence, being riddled with orange seams. Apparently it can be made to have pop-out flames with a modification (the flames were disabled apparently due to safety concerns). I may just try this, but then again, maybe not. Either way, it's a nice weapon (it swings around quite well) and certainly a unique one (how many TFs have mace-and-chains, anyway? I know Deathsaurus does). There is one significant drawback-he can't store it somewhere in beast mode, which is annoying since it makes it easy to lose it if you don't keep track of where it is.

Thanks to the fact that he's nearly all ball-joints, Swoop is extremely poseable. This has its drawbacks, though-the ball joints make it annoyingly easy to pop bits off, especially his head, which you then have to put back on and then pull his neck out again since it's likely that it got pushed back in while the head was reattached.

I really like this robot mode. That is all I can really say.

VERDICT

Swoop is an example of the Animated aesthetic at its most obvious. This, of course, will probably turn off many people who don't like it. Those of you who do like it, get Swoop. I recommend him.

9/10

Yes, I'll admit I'm a shameless Animated fan who isn't really going to say anything bad about it-but that's because it's so good, like this toy.
    I like Swoop too but I found him to be the most underwhelming of the Dinobots. For me, Slag/Slurry/Slapper or whatever he's called is my favourite with his delicate transformation, chunky robot mode and fierce looking alt mode. Gotta love the pop-out flame shoulders too! Speaking of Dinobots, I recommend sitting Legends BB on Grimlock's back for a nice Wheelie tribute - he sits there beautifully!

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    I like Swoop too but I found him to be the most underwhelming of the Dinobots. For me, Slag/Slurry/Slapper or whatever he's called is my favourite with his delicate transformation, chunky robot mode and fierce looking alt mode. Gotta love the pop-out flame shoulders too! Speaking of Dinobots, I recommend sitting Legends BB on Grimlock's back for a nice Wheelie tribute - he sits there beautifully!
    If Swoop is the most underwhelming of the Dinobots, the other Dinobots must be pure concentrated awesome.

How many waves is Snarl in? I think I should grab him soon if he's going to be booted off shelves/pegs soon.

I personally find Grimlock to be the most disappointing of the Animated Dinobot toys.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I personally find Grimlock to be the most disappointing of the Animated Dinobot toys.
    I think the exact opposite to be honest, but that may be my love for Grimlock showing through

North Melbourne-bot...?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    How many waves is Snarl in? I think I should grab him soon if he's going to be booted off shelves/pegs soon.
    He's in one wave only as far as I know. Wave 3 Animated. Wave 4 has Swoop so yes, I reckon u should grab snarl as quickly as u can.

I agree that he's disappointing though the sword is cool. I'm not sure if he's the most disappointing of the Dinobots as I haven't really given it thought. There's not very much to him that's much to write home about, is there?.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Yeah, I find Grimlock to be an incredibly underwhelming and ordinary toy for $45 whereas Snarl and Swoop offer more satisfaction for $25. I think Swoop is pretty cool - keep in mind that it's a more ambitious toy considering his more lithe and streamlined dino mode. Snarl's weapon is my least favourite amongst the Animated Dinobots - mostly because it's just all orange. If only they painted it like the prototype. :/ I don't like how all the Dinobots' weapons have no stowage in alt mode. As ridiculous as Sentinel Prime's lance and shield look in vehicle mode, at least there's an attempt to store it (not a good attempt, but an attempt nonetheless). With the Dinobots they're not even trying. By post-1995 standards one would expect TFs to have accessory stowage in alt mode.

I don't like how all the Dinobots' weapons have no stowage in alt mode.
    Swoop can hold his mace/flail by the foot in beast mode. Does that count?
    It was I think a bit of a fluke...
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Yeah, I find Grimlock to be an incredibly underwhelming and ordinary toy for $45 whereas Snarl and Swoop offer more satisfaction for $25. I think Swoop is pretty cool - keep in mind that it's a more ambitious toy considering his more lithe and streamlined dino mode. Snarl's weapon is my least favourite amongst the Animated Dinobots - mostly because it's just all orange. If only they painted it like the prototype. :/ I don't like how all the Dinobots' weapons have no stowage in alt mode. As ridiculous as Sentinel Prime's lance and shield look in vehicle mode, at least there's an attempt to store it (not a good attempt, but an attempt nonetheless). With the Dinobots they're not even trying. By post-1995 standards one would expect TFs to have accessory stowage in alt mode.
    I went back and found myself agreeing that Grimlock is the worst. He just doesn't stand up as a toy. There's glaring deficiencies in his arms and the transformation isn't very elegant. The weapon is a saving grace but like u say, the lack of "stowability" is very underwhelming though somewhat understandable. The larger issues really centre around its poor alt mode and transformation for me.

Swoop is okay. A figure w/ some nuances but rather simplistic in the overall scheme. His articulation is awesome but it frustrates me there is so little between the two modes. His weapon is very lovely though even w/out the gimmick.

Snarl Slag is okay, he's too stubby in my opinion but by the end I like him the most of the Dinobots. Once u figure the chest transformation out its decently interesting to transform and does some nice things. His articulation leaves a bit to be desired and the lack of the lock in on the chest are annoying but it holds up in all molds well and has a solid transformation. But agreed on his weapon. It's the weakest of the 3. The transparent orange is just too plane. It's really glaringly obvious in sunlight.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    He's in one wave only as far as I know. Wave 3 Animated. Wave 4 has Swoop so yes, I reckon u should grab snarl as quickly as u can.
    Okay, Snarl's risen above Grimlock on my need to get list, since Grimlock's going to be in quite a few waves (in the same wave as Shockwave, judging by a shot of Shockwave's box I saw).

The massive hole in Grimlock's dino mode chest exposing the robot head is just inexcusable IMO.

I picked up Animated Jetfire and Jetstorm today.

Positives:
    + Both robots look good. Nice sculpting and no complaints about paint apps. I also like how both robots are designed to look like twins yet offset each other. Jetfire has bright vibrant colours with a friendly "cheerful" face and Jetstorm has cold colours with a stern "cool" face.
    + Good reuse of G1/G2 names - Jetfire and Jetstorm go well with each toy's individual theme and again, offset each other quite nicely.
    + Well articulated - it's the basic 9 points, but it works well
    + Safeguard is an interesting combiner... it's a new twist on the G1 Multiforce and Energon/Superlink Powerlinx concept. It's interesting how unlike its predecessors, neither partner appears dominant in the combined mode - they both form equal halves instead of one partner forming the top half, who ends up being the dominant partner (as also portrayed in G1 and Energon canon). I find this concept to be refreshing and unique.

Negatives:
    + Individual jet modes are fail. They remind me of the Pretenders where I just look at them and thing, "that's meant to be a jet??" Bits of flames and ice are not wings. The legs that just hang out the back there are also just cringeworthy IMO (though strangely also a homage to G1 Jetfire's transformation, although G1 Jetfire has stuff that goes over the legs, these guys don't).
    + Combined jet mode is epic fail. Reminds me of whales/dolphins mating.
    + Safeguard doesn't feel very playable - articulation seems limited and the waist connection on mine isn't very strong (prone to coming apart). Not a big fan of the name eiter.
    + Autobot Elite Guards... where are their WEAPONS?