View Poll Results: Which is your favorite triple changer?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Animated Blitzwing

5 22.73%
  • Universe Tankor

4 18.18%
  • Classics/Henkei Astrotrain

13 59.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Modern Triple Changer

Blitzwing for me, since I haven't had any experience with any other modern Triple Changer. Although I do agree that the jet mode has problems, the tank mode amazes me since it folds up such a large robot into a tank that's small compared to the robot mode.

That and he's my favourite character in Animated.
    Last edited by SilverDragon; 29th September 2008 at 09:36 PM.

Jaydisc, I extended the poll for you to 30 days.

I voted for Astrotrain, Tankor would get my second vote and then Blitzwing.

Astrotrain had some nice modernisations (bullet train over locomotive), a fun transformation, a toy-colour (Classics) or cartoon-colour (Henkei) version, the feel of the original robot with more poseability.

The homage elements of each of these three toys are all very good though, but when it comes to making a decision: Astrotrain is the one I play with the most.

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

I'm a "Classics Guy" & between Astrotrain & Octane, Astrotrain is just an all-round better figure. (Octane could have been just that much better if they had integrated his comb-thing into the figure as a whole)

astrotrain it is for me too.
    i only like blitzwing for his robot mode and tankor is just bad imo

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Depth Charge or Rampage. You cannot beat those moulds!
    Yeah, its hard to beat the coolness of that Rampage tank and despite it not being realistic, it feels much more 'real' than other tanks due to those awesome tracks!

Quote Originally Posted by Verno View Post
    Depth Charge or Rampage. You cannot beat those moulds!
    Indeed. Those would definitely get my nod of approval. Some of my favourite toys and characters are those two.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I thought this choice would have been easy but I find the older triple changers much better than these modern ones. Eventually I chose Animated Blitzwing.

Blitzwing because I love my SD anything and that Tank mode is certainly within that range. For those in the know, it looks a lot like an Advance Wars tank. The robot mode is the biggest clincher though. It's well proportioned (stylistically) and solid. The real downer is the jet mode. Those tank treads are just awful on the undercarriage. I keep thinking how they could have engineered the treads to become more flush towards the back but ah well.

Tankor is just meh in all modes. While at least believeable in both vehicle modes out of the three with their well proportioned angles and features, they all just have too much gaps and holes. Those short arms in robot mode was the biggest downer for me.

Astrotrain has an excellent shuttle alt. Very nicely accurate and proportioned, but the train mode is awful and his robot mode also suffers short arm syndrome.

In the end these 3 aren't exactly excellent figures. Too much sacrifices made in each mode with a preference for one mode. Saying that I still commend the engineers for doing their best though. Perhaps a Voyager or Ultra sized Triple Changer next for the Universe line?

Astrotrain for me, I love Octane, but the QC issues I had with him soured him greatly, and Astrotrain being a train really tipped the scales in his favour.

Blitzwing's a good toy too, but his 2 alternate modes are weaker than the other two figures.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    Astrotrain for me, I love Octane, but the QC issues I had with him soured him greatly, and Astrotrain being a train really tipped the scales in his favour.

Blitzwing's a good toy too, but his 2 alternate modes are weaker than the other two figures.
    I opened and played with Octane earlier today and he is definitely my favourite of the 3 triple changers here. He's not perfect but his transformation is superior to Astrotrain and he has a lot of weaponry and gimmicks. The two guns can be held separately or combined and the comb doesn't look half bad. The weakest form for me is the jet mode where there's a lot of black stuff towards the back that annoys. I love moving between molds as it feels like a different transformation each time - something that Henkei/Classics Astrotrain does not give.

Blitzwing is a horrible toy whose single redeeming factor is his Wall-E mode. Total lack of weapons in robot mode, the way the treads show up in the jet mode, the fragility of the jet mode = plastic crap.

Anyway, I really rate Octane.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

TheDirtyDigger Guest

The fists on Tankor/Octane suck. The figure imo is pretty meh.
    Astrotrain is cool. Especially Henkei colours.
    Haven't got Blitzwing yet so can't vote on the best.