View Poll Results: MP-29 Masterpiece Laserwave (Shockwave) worth buying?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 80.00%
  • Only if...

6 17.14%
  • Not worth it

0 0%
  • Not interested

1 2.86%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: MP-29 Masterpiece Laserwave (Shockwave)

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Maybe what i said came across a little wrong. I said in hand it feels a little cheap - but it's not necessarily the plastic, but i think the colour has a lot to do with that.

Firstly the colour itself just looks more plasticy than that of Soundwave, whose dark blue hides the plastic look a little. And by (cartoon) design, Shockwave just doesn't have as many colours, whereas Soundwave has dabs of red and gold to break up the blue and silver. Shockwave is pretty much entirely shades of purple, so can look a little monotone (with his voice, maybe that was the intent all along!)

The plastic itself is consistent with Ironhide, Hot Rod and Road Rage - it's pretty strong but with a high gloss and smooth surface, so it might not be what you're after knowing what you've said in the past. But the construction is solid and the joints (mostly ratchets) are good, no doubt about that.

I just weighed Shockwave (327g) and Soundwave (328g). The AAA batteries weigh 24g, but even without them they're closer than you'd think, given the apparent size difference.
    Ah thanks for clearing that up, I can open this in peace now. I am displaying it in bot mode. cheers!

I've been seeing a lot of pics of Shockwave next to Starscream, and i've gotta say, the unpainted grey plastic on Starscream isn't very flattering either!

Does Takara not have any love for 'cons and paint? Or is it a size/budget thing? Could be the latter as Magnus and Star Saber don't have a huge amount of paint on them.

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    I've been seeing a lot of pics of Shockwave next to Starscream, and i've gotta say, the unpainted grey plastic on Starscream isn't very flattering either!

Does Takara not have any love for 'cons and paint? Or is it a size/budget thing? Could be the latter as Magnus and Star Saber don't have a huge amount of paint on them.
    I assume its just a better way to mass produce, if the parts/plastic can be molded in a color matching the source then no need to apply paint which a. cost more and 2. can rub / scratch off if not finished well

Hurry up and ship to me already! I wants this. My precious...
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Hurry up and ship to me already! I wants this. My precious...
    LOL! I missed the courier that had my Shockwave today -- definitely spewing!

Should be redelivered tomorrow at least!

Got mine today. I think he feels very different than any other MP, but that's kinda expected since the original toy was not a Microchange or Diaclone toy.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

So Shockwave...

I really like the transformation -- the leg and barrel transformation are ingenious!

His heft is also quite surprising -- heavier than I expected.

The colour is okay -- I would've preferred darker.

His aesthetics are spot on, but there's just something so underwhelming about him -- I think it's because he's just a little too athletic.

I really think they should've given him a bit more bulk up top -- it would have satisfied the comic guys who saw him as badass, and it would have satisfied the 'toon guys who saw him as the fatass who was Megatron's little b!tch!
    Last edited by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!!; 6th April 2016 at 10:23 PM.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Such a good figure. His expensive price makes me mark him harder (he's nowhere as good as, say, Ultra Magnus) but a fun figure with a great robot mode in particular.

I have Shockwave and I can definitely say that I'm happy about him. I didn't expect the transformation to be that ridiculously easy, making even MP-8 look troublesome by comparison.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I think this is one if you bought it under $160 categories is worth it and as it goes higher you get disappointed?