View Poll Results: MP-29 Masterpiece Laserwave (Shockwave) worth buying?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 80.00%
  • Only if...

6 17.14%
  • Not worth it

0 0%
  • Not interested

1 2.86%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast

Thread: MP-29 Masterpiece Laserwave (Shockwave)

Picked up Shockwave and Ramjet on the weekend. On one hand, it was great having another figure bulking up the Decepticon ranks. On the other hand, I agree with the comments regarding his cheap colour finish. Going all purple isn't an issue as G1 Shockwave looks great. It's just when a figure is so monotone, you need to put extra effort into the finish. Kudos for the double electronics gizmos but yeah proper paint apps would've been nice. Sculpt is spot on for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!! View Post
    I think we'll get a darker purple version at some point -- probably next year.

There really aren't many repaint options available besides dark purple (both 'toon and toy), grey toy version, and the animation error colours (which I would buy!):

Laserwave + version lol.... Sad thing is that will prob be the case

Dude, you've just given Takara more ideas for their + range.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Haha just you wait after 5 years they have a++ version

I've been playing around with mine for a day, and I'd have to say I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Screen-accuracy in both modes is excellent, even if the colour is apparently debatable. Yes, screen-accuracy is probably the single biggest drawcard for the Masterpiece line, but this particular figure is surely among the best in this regard. Transformation may be simple by Masterpiece standards, but this is a case of the character model being very faithful to the original toy, so the Masterpiece would be very similar anyway.

A LED for the eye would have been nice, but would likely come at the cost of movement for the head. Besides, the light piping works brilliantly. I understand this is the first MP with light piping - is that right?

My only real complaint is that my particular figure has hips that are looser than I would like, since the figure is so top-heavy and the feet could slip with dynamic or deep poses. The use of die cast metal in the feet addresses the top-heavy nature of the figure somewhat.

On colour variants: I can see the grey Astro Magnum colour scheme getting a release, perhaps becoming its own character a la Exhaust. We'd just have to wait and see if it does, and if it becomes an exclusive (like MP-12T) or a mainstream release (like MP-23). I don't know about the toy-accurate purple, though - would there really be a lot of demand for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I've been playing around with mine for a day, and I'd have to say I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Screen-accuracy in both modes is excellent, even if the colour is apparently debatable. Yes, screen-accuracy is probably the single biggest drawcard for the Masterpiece line, but this particular figure is surely among the best in this regard. Transformation may be simple by Masterpiece standards, but this is a case of the character model being very faithful to the original toy, so the Masterpiece would be very similar anyway.

A LED for the eye would have been nice, but would likely come at the cost of movement for the head. Besides, the light piping works brilliantly. I understand this is the first MP with light piping - is that right?

My only real complaint is that my particular figure has hips that are looser than I would like, since the figure is so top-heavy and the feet could slip with dynamic or deep poses. The use of die cast metal in the feet addresses the top-heavy nature of the figure somewhat.

On colour variants: I can see the grey Astro Magnum colour scheme getting a release, perhaps becoming its own character a la Exhaust. We'd just have to wait and see if it does, and if it becomes an exclusive (like MP-12T) or a mainstream release (like MP-23). I don't know about the toy-accurate purple, though - would there really be a lot of demand for that?
    the loose side way swing of the hip/leg joint is really easy to sort out, just take off the 3 screws (hip/thigh) so can take out and thicken/tighten the joint peg with your preferred method (nail polish / floor polish / a layer of chrome tape)

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Loved the purple, and I didn't feel the lack of paint made it look cheap. Nice weight in hand, especially good feel in laser mode. The transformation was so easy and intuitive, I barely looked at the instructions. Another G1 toy I never owned but now have the new and improved model.
    Yes yes yes, he looks great with all the recent MPs.

The light up feature is cool and I am glad that it does not appear to have compromised the figure in any way.

I have dabbled in video reviewing for Shockwave, here is the link for those that want to support esoteric endeavors - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z65aOJNThQ8

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
    Yes yes yes, he looks great with all the recent MPs.

The light up feature is cool and I am glad that it does not appear to have compromised the figure in any way.

I have dabbled in video reviewing for Shockwave, here is the link for those that want to support esoteric endeavors - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z65aOJNThQ8
    Good YouTube video! I liked it. I'm still waiting Shockwave to arrive but love the look of it. Looks very retro to me. Probably wish the colour was just a tad darker and stickers!...ughh (sounds like what Lego does).

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Does anyone felt that the mono eye could be a more prominent translucent yellow? In day light my figure feels a bit flat on the eye.

Is just a small pick, I am still fine with it and I have not put the decals either.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    Good YouTube video! I liked it. I'm still waiting Shockwave to arrive but love the look of it. Looks very retro to me. Probably wish the colour was just a tad darker and stickers!...ughh (sounds like what Lego does).
    Thanks. It is a very retro sort of figure, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    Does anyone felt that the mono eye could be a more prominent translucent yellow? In day light my figure feels a bit flat on the eye.

Is just a small pick, I am still fine with it and I have not put the decals either.
    Yeah thats a fair point. The window on the back of the head is pretty large but the eye doesnt always light up enough in normal daylight.