Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Takara Masterpiece (and other) coins & premiums

So, is the King Grimlock coin a TRU promo for Hasbro MP-3 Grimlock (I believe I saw it before Hasbro's MP-3 Grimlock was released) or as a purchase for the MP-08X King Grimlock figure?

Added a whole tonne of things - often that I'm not interested in (purely Masterpiece here) but to ensure the Asia exclusive premiums are catalogued somewhere.

Does anyone know if the coins and their packaging were ever KO'd?

I ask because I was given a Soundwave coin with another Transformers purchase quite a while back and I can't figure out if the coin set was just some gimmicky KO or not.

I don't think so but if there's money to be made...

Likely not though. Soundwave's coin was in both silver and gold IIRC.

Just found the coin - actually I think it is Soundblaster as the card is black not blue...

Do you guys think the coin is legit?

Also on the issue of the King Grimlock coin... I have 2 of these still sealed.

They were given out for free when you purchased Hasbro MP Grimlock from Toys R Us (Hong Kong). The back of the card has the distribution so I figure those are the countries the coins were sent to for 'free' distribution. The issue was you had to specifically ask for the coins and TRU kept a lot of them (no idea what they did with them). If you brought Grimlock and then went back to get your coin because you had forgotten they wouldn't give you one which might be why they aren't as common?

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    Also on the issue of the King Grimlock coin... I have 2 of these still sealed.
    Your Soundblaster coin is legit.

I just paid around $80 for the Grimlock coin - the last one I was chasing. Damn you. :P

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    Your Soundblaster coin is legit.

I just paid around $80 for the Grimlock coin - the last one I was chasing. Damn you. :P
    Hmm - nice to know it is legit. I always just assumed it was fake because I didn't buy a MP figure to be given it and it just sits stored in a box.

I didn't realise the coins were worth anything... sorry. Otherwise I'd have offered one of the Grimlock coins up. I guess living here I kind of take them for granted. Unless you are buying from a Japanese importer the coins are somewhat of a given in most HK retailers these days.

I didn't realise the coins were worth anything... sorry. Otherwise I'd have offered one of the Grimlock coins up. I guess living here I kind of take them for granted. Unless you are buying from a Japanese importer the coins are somewhat of a given in most HK retailers these days.
    Haha, all good! It was one of those that I'd been eyeing for ages and finally bit the bullet on ($92.85). I saw one at a TRU in Singapore when I was travelling about 15 months ago but neglected to ask about it (there was no Grimlock MPs there at the time) and assumed I had it (I had almost every other MP coin at that point). Only later did I realise how difficult it can be to find!

As I get my MPs through Nexusnixx, they usually have the coin/premium included but this coin was distributed a bit differently and as such is a bit of an anomaly.

It's always funny when things that are apparently rare globally are easy to source on your local market. I remember TRU having a tonne of Star Wars Jodo Kast figures (a US Kmart exclusive).

As far as I can figure, having trawled through Transformers Asia's Facebook page, I've got everything listed.

Notable examples of no coin include MP-23 Exhaust (where the coin was produced but it's release cancelled after the initial release outside of Japan was cancelled due to legal issues with the figure's deco) and MP-11NR where no coin has been mentioned (being a TT Mall exclusive may play into that, although it hasn't in the past... - most TT Mall exclusives have had a coin upon their release in Asian - see UW Defensor, the most notable exclusion being MP-10 EVA).

Hmm - nice to know it is legit. I always just assumed it was fake because I didn't buy a MP figure to be given it and it just sits stored in a box.

I'll be willing to purchase one of your spare King Grimlock coins. PM incoming.