Thread: Toy Review - RIGGORUS

Default Toy Review - RIGGORUS

RIGS Я US
    Series - Masterpiece
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - Retool of Masterpiece Hoist
    Wave - MP-56+
    Released here - N/A (Japan, April 2024)
    Approximate Retail Price - 24200JPY ($245)
    Approximate Size - 20.5cm (head)
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Toyota Hi-Lux ute
    Main Features/Gimmicks - homage to Diaclone Car Robot 4WD Hi-Lux (yellow version)
    Main Colours - yellow
    Main Accessories - x2 shoulder cannons, x2 dual hand blasters, x1 forcefield effect

PROS
    + Shares many of the strengths of MP Hoist, particularly as a more toy-accurate looking version of the Trailbreaker/Hoist design. Even moreso with the new toy-accurate head sculpt.
    + A very faithful adaptation of the yellow 4WD Hi-Lux Diaclone toy. It also retains the accurate red visor; unlike MP Blue Streak and Silver Streak who both had blue eyes despite neither being based on a cartoon mode, and the original G1 Bluestreak and blue Diaclone Datsun Fairlady Z toys having red and yellow eyes respectively. It could also be because this character is a Decepticon, but either way, I'm glad that it has a red visor. (also super glad that MP Cordon and Spin-Out have Diaclone-accurate red and yellow eyes respectively.
    + I haven't tried iet yet, but the force field effect piece should also be compatible with Trailbreaker.
    + A whole new character added to the Transformers universe. Also, another MP Decepticon Car to join Exhaust and Loud Pedal. I'd gladly jump on a Generations Rigorous toy.

CONS
    - The stickers are unforgiving. They're hard to remove if you misapply them (even just seconds after application), and they are prone to damage and the glue just doesn't stick anymore if you try to reapply. They're pretty superfluous, so I would recommend just not applying them at all. And if you want to add a Decepticon logo, just use reprolabels. I ended up putting a pair of repro Decepticon logo stickers on the panels behind the shoulders because I screwed up one of the panel stickers (so the sticker helps to conceal and keep that sticker stuck; added a second one for symmetry).
    - I cannot get the canopy to sit perfectly flush against the side panels behind the side windows. I spent hours transforming this toy back and forth trying to get it to sit flush with no success. Hoist doesn't have this canopy piece (since he's a tow truck), and Trailbreaker's design here is entirely different (Hoist shares very few parts with Trailbreaker; he's more of a new mould). So yeah, this canopy piece doesn't exist on either Hoist or Trailbreaker. If anyone can work out a trick to getting this canopy to sit flush, please LMK!

OVERALL
    TBH, Hoist has all of Riggorus' strengths and none of his weaknesses. So if you already have MP Hoist and you don't really care for this deco or character, then feel free to give it a wide berth. The canopy gap ruins the overall look of the vehicle for me, but maybe I'm not doing it correctly. I haven't seen any other reviews for this toy come up yet, so I'm waiting to see if it's just isolated to my figure or if it's a common issue.

Maybe post some clearer pics of the canopy issue/area?

I'll take a clearer pic later. Here's a close up from my previous vehicle mode shot. Although it's blurry, you can see that the canopy isn't tabbed in.