Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Thread: Official Toy images

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Also, kinda interesting to see that they genuinely do use a paint that allegedly matches the plastic dye. I was sure that they would use a different shade in order to compensate for the way that paint and dyed plastics will never match. There is, after all, plenty of knowledge out there on how to match these things...
    I'm sure there is if you're some 3P company without a deadline or a fan doing a custom, but with the number of figures Hasbro employees have to put out constantly they wouldn't always have time to get the colour match perfect. Markclonus has mentioned this on an Instagram story recently.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

JJJ is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

It isn't about having endless time. There is real industrial research out there about how to match Pantone X in ABS (and nylon, and all sorts of other plastics) to Pantone Y in paint. It should be quite literally an exercise in looking up a chart - the work has already been done for them. I never expected, for example, to see the same colour being listed on that chart for Bumblebee for both plastic and paint - one should be different to compensate for the difference in how they reflect light (and also perhaps to account for the underlying plastic colour).

Now that I think about it a bit more, though, perhaps they're having real issues with the dyes in their plastics, and getting them to come out the right way. Would explain a few things...

The re-release of Legacy Leader Dragon Megatron in Legacy Evolution packaging... which is really just the new logo on the box I think...
    I think some people at Hasbro are learning to re-release final wave toys in the next series if possible, as most countries tend to miss out on the final wave of a year, or have very limited supply of it. In the case of this Megatron, it has started showing up at specialty outlets here, but it could have just as easily have been missed out if stores were clogged with wave 1 Leaders. (as it was, I think wave 2 Blitzwing will end up being the hard-to-find Legacy Leader here, as the major retailers who are still selling wave 1 will get a second chance at wave 3 Megatron, but not wave 2 Blitzwing)