Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152030 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Is anyone else watching K-9 right now? (Sat 09:30) If so... thoughts?

I haven't seen much of it before, but it seems to be aimed at a younger audience than Doctor Who. It's also an Australian made series which I find interesting since the majority of Doctor Who series (and spin off series) are British made.
    No I honestly haven't seen any of it Goki, what channel is it on?

I'd have to say though, that my top 4 Doctors would have to be:

1. David Tennant
    2. Tom Baker
    3. Matt Smith
    4. John Pertwee

The reason I chose only four is because I honestly haven't seen enough of the other Doctors to really form an opinion apart from Eccleson - his version just never grew on me and I think the reason may be because he was already too well known, I mean once you've heard him ask Nicholas Cage "Do I look like a C!@# to you?, do I?" (Gone in 60 Seconds remake), it's just hard to see him as the Doctor without seeing him as an actor playing the Doctor, does that make sense?

K-9 is currently airing on Channel Ten Saturday 09:30.
    http://ten.com.au/tvguide_synopsis.h...K9_3378204.xml

Btw, while watching last Sunday's episode of Doctor Who I noticed that the director's name was Adam Smith -- my immediate thought was, "Wow, Doctor Who's now being directed by the father of modern economics?!" lol

Today I discovered that I'm two degrees of separation from Stewart Sheargold; one of my colleagues is his aunt!

How have people been finding the new doctor and new series (with a new story editor in charge)? I haven't been catching the episodes due to working sundays (and forgetting to tape the first few eps, so didn't bother after that), but am interested in seeing what fans of the new era of Dr Who thinks of this year's series/direction.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    How have people been finding the new doctor and new series (with a new story editor in charge)? I haven't been catching the episodes due to working sundays (and forgetting to tape the first few eps, so didn't bother after that), but am interested in seeing what fans of the new era of Dr Who thinks of this year's series/direction.
    I found it to be really entertaining and very much familiar, whilst being refreshingly new.

Matt Smith as the 11th Doctor reminds me a lot of Tom Baker's Interpretation and I found that this season very much reflected some of the earlier approaches to the series also.

By earlier approaches I mean that the season has one major story arc that commences with the first episode and is slowly eluded to and revealed by the season's end, with the expected twists that the Doctor normally incurs.

Each episode is more or less a self contained story but there is a couple of smaller story arcs that take place over double episodes, but with each story a tiny piece of the main story arc is revealed, though this is barely evident as the pieces are usually dialogue or a couple of frames of a scene.

This new season and Doctor is certainly a fresh take on old methods with a splash of updates here and there but certainly doesn't try to break anything that has come before, as it makes it blatantly evident that it is part of a bigger picture but it doesn't make any direct references to happenings in the Tennant or Eccelson* series.

All in all it is a great addition with each episode leaving you wanting to see the next with engaging stories and compelling performances by the main and supporting casts, which in my book is a great thing considering the ridiculous amount of slop on T.V. these days.

Doctor Who (2005 Series 5/The 11th Doctor), Grab it on DVD or Blu-Ray Griffin as you'll definitely love it and you've got to see it before the Christmas Special this year.
    (Shhh, I watched this series 2 episodes in advance of the rest of Oz on my PC but I'll leave it to your imagination how)
    Last edited by Hursticon; 29th July 2010 at 04:43 AM.

I'm going to be blatantly honest with my opinions on Matt Smith as the Doctor. I prefer David Tennant's and Christopher Eccleston's interpretations. I found Matt Smith to be more arrogant, more easily irritated (especially by Amy who always seemed to be being screamed at by the Doctor) and harder to understand.

I enjoyed the last two episodes of 2010's Season 5 the most out of this latest season however, as there was some very deep story lines all coming together at last.
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy

its good. He's no Eccleston, but who is?

Smith's not as good as Tennant or Tom Baker, but I don't mind him. As Hursti said, there's a continual story arc that runs throughout the entire series; primarily as a backdrop for several stand alone eps, and some story-arc eps... much like Beast Wars really. So I found that rather interesting (and somewhat frustrating as it constantly leaves you in suspense!)

P.S. Amy Pond is HAWT.
    P.P.S.: Dr. Who Does Comic Relief - starring Rowan Atkinson as the Ninth Doctor! Veerrry funny!

Why is The Creature from the Pit so damn expensive? Every store I have found it at has it marked as $40 - the same price as The Chase/Space Museum box set!
    And other single DVDs are the usual $25-30 range.

Given that the Creature from the Pit isn't one of the most highly regarded stories you'd think it'd be one of the cheapest....

Dr. Who Does Comic Relief - starring Rowan Atkinson as the Ninth Doctor! Veerrry funny!

I have that on VHS and dragged it out for the kids to watch last weekend. At the end my six-year-old turned to me and said 'Dad that wasn't very funny'. I guess they're used to Dr Who having always been on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    K-9 is currently airing on Channel Ten Saturday 09:30.
    http://ten.com.au/tvguide_synopsis.h...K9_3378204.xml
    Saw every episode bar the final, if it helps.