Page 45 of 72 FirstFirst ... 253540414243444546474849505565 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

Law & Order UK is an interesting program to watch now (on channel 1/12 Wednesdays I think), with Peter Davison (5th Doctor) and the actress who played Tennant's companion "Martha Jones", both playing roles in the Prosecutor's office.
    It's a bit like the surrealistic "The Stranger" stories, with an aged Doctor and companion, who aren't referred to by their DrWho names.

Don't hate me, but I've been wanting to post up this for some time now... a flashback to 1988.

A discussion w/ someone on FB... Smith Doctor is the Doctor's 13th incarnation, but the 11th Doctor. <---thoughts?

Swap the word "Incarnation" with "Regeneration" and I'm happy with that rationale.

Apparently the new Doctor will be more like the classic Doctors. I hope this is true.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...-steven-moffat

I liked the last two doctors (barefoot on the moon ). I just want them to bring the scarf back

Only 10 minutes till the new series kicks off - and naturally my toddler is wide wake and hyper . Guessing I'll be avoiding spoilers until I can download it I guess

Edit: got to watch it after all. Not bad, certainly went from wacky to dark fairly quickly. Not massively keen on the new doc, but then felt that way about the old one and he grew on me.
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 24th August 2014 at 08:01 PM.

The Doctor often undergoes post-regeneration trauma (the Eleventh Doctor binged on stuff like fish fingers in custard etc.), and this one seems to be quite a doozy, but it was something that the Doctor was expecting, hence the phone call. Having said that, I felt that it dragged on too long, it wasn't really until the Doctor and Clara met up in the restaurant that we started to see this Doctor's true colours (the way that he allowed Clara to believe that he was abandoning her was interesting). I also found it interesting that the episode hinted that the Doctor may have deliberately (albeit subconsciously) copied someone else's face, which would canonically explain why we're seeing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The Doctor often undergoes post-regeneration trauma (the Eleventh Doctor binged on stuff like fish fingers in custard etc.), and this one seems to be quite a doozy, but it was something that the Doctor was expecting, hence the phone call. Having said that, I felt that it dragged on too long, it wasn't really until the Doctor and Clara met up in the restaurant that we started to see this Doctor's true colours (the way that he allowed Clara to believe that he was abandoning her was interesting). I also found it interesting that the episode hinted that the Doctor may have deliberately (albeit subconsciously) copied someone else's face, which would canonically explain why we're seeing it again.
    The Sixth Doctor started off his regeneration by trying to strangle his companion, so this is an improvement. It's also not the first time that the series has come up with an in-universe reason why a regeneration resembles a previous character, i.e. Romana II

The actor played two previous parts in Doctor Who/Torchwood in the last couple years... so unlike Colin Baker (who played a Gallifreyian guardsman during Tom Baker's time), the writers are said to have decided to use it. Hence the big mystery over his new face, and why it was "chosen". (the second regeneration suggested that the Timelords could choose a regeneration form... and Romana could pick one at will, but that one was more likely an exception to the rule, possibly through some other mind-control method - some other regenerations were noted as being a lottery if I recall... so we could see yet another retcon here)

The mystery will be interesting... hopefully. Maybe it's the season story-arc, like Clara in the last season being everywhere through time. And I think the mysterious lady at the end is the one responsible.

It's wasted drama if they don't have a story focussing time on him overcoming a regeneration (most on-screen regenerations since Tom Baker's intro have been over-played a bit to pad out the story), but I think they got too close to the feel of Colin Baker's unpleasant introduction... and first impressions can make or break a Doctor.

Smile

It goes to show that every other sci-fi genre takes cues from Transformers though. Grimlock in TF4 was waaaay to big to be the approximate size of a T-Rex and the T-Rex in last nights Dr Who episode was freakin huge!

Now for Vector Prime to turn into a Tardis