Page 65 of 72 FirstFirst ... 45556061626364656667686970 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

Demons of Punjab -- much like Rosa was also set among a major historical event, and like before they can do nothing but bear witness to the tragedy. Although the tragedy is ramped up quite a few notches. Again, this delves back to the old school format of the First Doctor being a historically educational programme. Although we still do get scifi adventure episodes like last week's The Tsuranga Conundrum. This series is proving to be interesting as it continues to draw on different elements from previous Doctor Who series to create a new blend.

From a historical POV this episode works better than Rosa which had a few historical inaccuracies (but was mostly accurate). In Rosa's defence, it's because the characters in Demons of Punjab are all fictitious. These are fictitious characters set in a real life historical setting. But being fictitious there's much less to nitpick compared to Rosa, so I still do really like Rosa in terms of being a daring historical episode.

Wa-hoo, thread revival!

Has anyone else seen the Mission to the Unknown recreation by a UK university?
    It should be up on Youtube.
    It appears to be a very faithful recreation. One of the original actors said in a docu the rocket set was identical to the original.

SPOILERS BELOW

SPOILER

SPACE

So the Master's back and I believe he's the first Asian Time Lord (i.e. Time Lord of Asian appearance/played by an actor of Asian ethnicity; obviously Time Lords aren't even human, but ya know). Certainly the first non-Caucasian incarnation of the Master, although we have seen other non-Caucasian Time Lords. Interesting to see more diversity but also more interesting to see the return of the Doctor's greatest nemesis. I guess it means that Missy did regenerate despite the Master's effort to kill her completely. Can't wait to see the next ep!

If you haven't seen this week's Doctor Who yet (available on ABC Iview) go watch it now.

Don't wait until Thursday night as the spoilers will be unavoidable online.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    If you haven't seen this week's Doctor Who yet (available on ABC Iview) go watch it now.

Don't wait until Thursday night as the spoilers will be unavoidable online.
    Hoo boy, watched it an hour ago and...

I haven't watched the show in years, but I watched it yesterday and I can understand why there will be spoilers online.
    Spoilers: Jack is back and there's a new (old?) Doctor, who is black.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Comic book resources flat out made the twist a headline the A-hats.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Comic book resources flat out made the twist a headline the A-hats.
    Well it is CBR ...

Have to admit, that was probably the best Chibnall-era episode I've watched. This season, aside from Orphan 55, has hands down been a massive improvement over the last season.

Some stories in the episodes get lost in a message like with Orphan 55. When they are not pushing an agenda the stories are great. Only three to go and I suspect some story threads will cross over into next season.

I don't mind Doctor Who eps carrying educational messages, as it was the original intention of the show way back when it started with the First Doctor (initially to teach children history, then they included science). But yeah, some of the recent episodes have been a bit on the nose with the messages.

'Rosa' is an example of what I consider a "moralistic" episode done well. It obviously carries the message of racism and tolerance, but it's not quite as in-your-face as some of the eps that we've seen of late. The most powerful moment in 'Rosa' was the scene where Parks is removed from the bus and arrested because she refused to surrender her seat for a White man. The moment begins with no music; only sparse dialogue and diegetic sounds. Then all the sounds from the scene becomes mute as the song "I Will Rise Up" starts playing. From this point on the scene relies more predominantly on the visual narrative. Close up shots of Parks' face as she defiantly waits for the police to come and arrest her, as well as the faces of the Doctor and her companions as they can do nothing but sit back and watch in silent helplessness and sorrow. We then shift back to the Tardis (as the song pauses) to see the Doctor explain the consequences and legacy of Parks' actions - both on the world and on her own life, as well as showing her companions the asteroid that astronomers named in Parks' honour. The song resumes and continues into the end credits.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUn7mU7OUqU
    I thought that this was done well. They gave the audience enough information to know what's going on but relied more on visuals and music to bring home the bacon rather than going on some moralistic rant about freedom and equality. It's more factual - here's what Parks did, and here are the consequences of her action. And I did like how they commented about just how long Parks' fight was. It wasn't just that one moment on the bus, but rather she fought for her entire life.

Having said that... that episode was about a past/historical event, whereas the environmental message is more on current and future events. Still, I think that it could've been handled better without it being too in-your-face. And in all fairness, this isn't a new thing to Whittaker's Doctor either; there have been past episodes with past Doctors that were also a bit too in-your-face such as...
    * The Tenth Doctor raving on about how Shakespeare was the "best writer evah." Which isn't even true as Shakespeare copied much of his works from other writers.
    * The Eleventh Doctor going on about how Vincent Van Gogh was the "best artist evah." Get a zero room.
    Yeah, the Thirteenth Doctor did fangirl over Nikola Tesla, but she wasn't like, "best inventor evah!" And to be fair, Tesla was pretty impressive (I'd like to see the Doctor meet Alan Turing, John Snow or Mary Anning).

Maybe the environmental messages are a bit heavy because a lot of people just aren't listening!

When War Machine got hold of the Infinity Stones