Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 50606566676869707172 LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

This seemed a bit ham fisted more than usual. Like the acting was a bit meh and felt slapped together. Was ok for a regular episode but not as a one off special. I like the look of the sea devils.

Looking forward to the final episode.

Did they mention how the universe is now after everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Did they mention how the universe is now after everything?
    Not a word.

Other than Dan joining as a companion, the Flux has had no other impacts... they may as well have just done a magic reset at the end of the story

The timing had me thinking it would be an Easter special, but I don't recall Easter being mentioned at all... unlike the christmas and new year's specials that have that day in the episode plot.

I think the (main) Sea Devil looked great, but the way the mouth barely moved made it look like a cheap puppet prop (the Sea Devil appeared to be talking through the crystal on its chest, but since the TARDIS crew and associates get everything translated in real time, the crystal plot device was not necessary... and as such, spoiled the realistic detailing of the creature costume).

The story itself seemed to go all over the place, and required a lot of concentration, and I agree that it didn't feel like a "special", but then again, apparently this episode and the previous one were originally part of the previous season to make it 8 episodes, reduced from 11 episodes because of covid... but then later the two episodes that weren't part of the Flux story were moved to 2022 so that her finale episode for the BBC's centenary wasn't on its own for the year.
    So... Whittaker had 3 other stories planned for her before she left the role, and maybe that's where the "new universe" would have been referenced, so that it wasn't just a big event and suddenly never mentioned again?

This is something that might be interesting to others following this topic... I only recently found out, during the press tour for Marvel's Morbius film, that Karen Gillan (companion Amy Pond) played the character of Nebula (the blue skinned "daughter" of Thanos). It was only being mentioned because her Doctor (Matt Smith) played a major character in Morbius, which means both actors of "a Doctor and his main Companion" are now Marvel characters at the same time (just not in the same universe, so they would never meet up).

And it wasn't just the head-to-toe makeup that hid her from me recognising her, it was how serious and angry her character was that never had me thinking of the cheery, bright, animated Amy Pond.

I think most of us knew that... meanwhile Rory went to the DC universe instead. When Amy came back for her last appearance (when 11 was regenerating) she was wearing a wig because Karen has her head shaved for Nebula.

9 and 10 are both in the MCU and a little dimension hoping could bring 11 in. Just waiting to see who’s next. Eventually every actor will be in the MCU the rate they are going.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Madame Ching I Sao make an appearance! Although weirdly enough, we hear people speaking in Mandarin Chinese... this is early 19th Century China; specifically Lantau island, Guangdong. They should be speaking Cantonese (Lantau island is part of Hong Kong today). :/

I was hoping to see her fleet but we only got to see her flagship. In real life, she personally commanded a fleet of twenty-four ships with a crew of 1,433 pirates (and four hundred ships with 60,000 pirates in her confederacy).

BBC have announced the new actor to take on the role of The Doctor following Jodie Whittaker & Chris Chibnall's departure.

Ncuti Gatwa: BBC names actor as next Doctor Who star - BBC News

It will be very interesting to see him - I haven't seen any of his other work, but I hear he has been very good and has been nominated multiple times for BAFTAs. The producers appear very impressed:

Showrunner Russell T Davies said Gatwa had impressed him in a "blazing" audition.
    "It was our last audition. It was our very last one," the writer and producer said. "We thought we had someone, and then in he came and stole it.

Thought they'd go safe with an older white man again, glad to see they haven't.

(Just don't read a lot of the reactions to the news from the usual suspects)

Are they going to acknolwedge anything done with wittakers era?

I dont care who it is as long as they are good at acting