Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Hasbro Platinum Edition Unicron

Quote Originally Posted by micfox001 View Post
    I am not sure if any related posts have been put for this.. I recalled none..

http://www.robotkingdom.com/platunicron.html.

Would it be the same as the 25th anniversary Amazon version??
    It was announced a few months ago and shown at a few Conventions... (cant remember which ones) Its nice to finally see a listing.

I do believe it is the same as the 25th Anniversary which the remoulded head more like the G1 movie.

Our thread on this got to 3 pages back....

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=23066

what are the chances we're see this in a general release at major retailers?

I never really understood the appeal of Unicron as a figure.

Really don't rate his alt mode from the pictures, did anyone else feel the same then have a change of mind once they had it in hand?

Quote Originally Posted by laproblematique View Post

Really don't rate his alt mode from the pictures, did anyone else feel the same then have a change of mind once they had it in hand?
    No, I'm the same
    It may be the fact that we've never really had another improved planet version of this figure - to me, it's just half a soccer ball resting on 2 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    No, I'm the same
    It may be the fact that we've never really had another improved planet version of this figure - to me, it's just half a soccer ball resting on 2 feet.
    I can understand the issue that a lot of ppl have with the alt mode. It just doesn't quite work. However, I display the vast majority of my bots in bot mode so I don't really mind if the alt isn't on the level I would like as long as the bot mode is, which it is in this instance for me.

Because it's Unicron!
    It's the character that holds appeal. If you don't care that much for the character then understandably this toy's not gonna hold that much appeal for you, but for those of us who are fans of this character, then this toy was a dream come true. Only took 'em 17 years.

The alt mode is about as good as you can get considering that it's based on a very difficult cartoon model. In TFTM Unicron transforms from a spherical planetoid into a hulking humanoid robot. This is extremely difficult to translate into a toy, and I think that HasTak did about as good a job as you'd expect - and remember that the original Armada toy was primarily aimed at kids, so the toy still had to be fun and intuitive for children. Unicron looks fine in planet mode from the front, but it does have some bulky robot kibble at the back. They just couldn't wrap the entire thing in an egg shell without making Unicron be even more of a shellformer than he already is. The robot mode is pretty spot on, except for the two planet shells on his back, which are easily removable if they bug you that much.

There have been previous attempts at making Unicron toys in G1 and Beast Wars. When I look at photos of those toys I can see that the Armada mould is by far the best of the lot. The Beast Wars version was actually aborted because it would have been far too expensive, which leads to another point - the toy also needs to be affordable. They might be able to do a better job if they applied a Masterpiece level of design and engineering into a Unicron toy, but the price tag would be prohibitively dear (especially considering that it'd have bugger all redeco potential to recoup the cost of R&D).

I'm happy enough with my original Armada Unicron though.

Megatran Guest

Transformers - Star Wars Death Star was round. But sheesh, that Darth Vader (robot) mode.

Darth Vader/Death Star's robot mode isn't too bad considering that it's transformed from a grey ball to a black robot, and it's interesting how it has a cloth cape that tucks away in alt mode. But that toy is also a real female dog to transform and a mother of a shellformer. There's really not much fun to it as a Transformer toy. I personally find Unicron to be loads more fun to play with. Although Darth Vader/Death Star does offer a lot of play value as a ball.