Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101525 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Go

I managed to get it on my phone here in Japan, but I don't think its properly released yet.

No pokemon around except in the areas near gyms., None near my house, which I find odd. Surely there's some kind of programming behind how the pmons are distributed. ALthough I am concerned about the effect it will have on people roaming around looking for them.

There's enough people to get in my way normally, without me having to push through ppl looking for pokemon.

On a tech side, I am rather fascinated by the application (was never really into pokemon that much), but the AR camera thing is cool, and I bet the people making it will be making lotsa cash. I'm sure companies could pay to have their site as a poke-whatever and they'll make some good bucks.

Interesting times....

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I bet the people making it will be making lotsa cash. I'm sure companies could pay to have their site as a poke-whatever and they'll make some good bucks.
    Somebody told me they made $10 billion in 3 days.

Like any free-to-play app there's an option to buy the in-game money in bundles costing 5, 10, 50, 100 etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    Somebody told me they made $10 billion in 3 days.

Like any free-to-play app there's an option to buy the in-game money in bundles costing 5, 10, 50, 100 etc...
    Nintendo's share value went up $10 billion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I managed to get it on my phone here in Japan, but I don't think its properly released yet.
    The Japanese version is still the Beta AFAIK.

Question: with the Australian version, are you forced to use the dub names or can you also set it to use the original Japanese names? I know that I asked this question 3 days ago, but I didn't notice any response (although admittedly I'm not reading every post on this thread, so apologies if someone's already answered it and I just haven't noticed )

P.S.: RE: The story about people catching Pokémon in a Holocaust museum.
    Apparently the Pokémon that someone acquired at the museum was Dogars (ドガース), who apparently attacks by using poison gassing.
    https://pedestrian.tv/news/arts-and-...e1ac97b279.htm
    ...I actually know someone who's a Holocaust survivor too... (-_-)

Had some time to fill before a movie tonight so wandered outside to some pokestops. It's a bit weird walking around a dark park looking for Pokemon, but also fun. Saw a group of three at the local park on my way home all looking at their phones so sure they were playing too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Question: with the Australian version, are you forced to use the dub names or can you also set it to use the original Japanese names? I know that I asked this question 3 days ago, but I didn't notice any response (although admittedly I'm not reading every post on this thread, so apologies if someone's already answered it and I just haven't noticed )
    Yes you are "forced" to use the "dub" names. Nobody in the English-speaking world cares about the Japanese names and it's never an option in the games for English-speaking audiences. If you use names like Dogars (instead of Koffing) we don't know what you're talking about

Fyi I heard that Koffing in the museum was photoshopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Yes you are "forced" to use the "dub" names. Nobody in the English-speaking world cares about the Japanese names and it's never an option in the games for English-speaking audiences. If you use names like Dogars (instead of Koffing) we don't know what you're talking about
    I don't know the Anglophone names for Pokémon because I've never watched Pokémon dubbed. Simple as that. I'm not deliberately avoiding the use of their dub names, I just don't know them. I did also provide an image link to the Pokémon in question.

All I wanted to know was if the language option existed in this game or not (and I do have games purchased in the UK and AU which have different language options). So it sounds like I won't be wasting my time downloading this game then. No biggie, I'll just go back to playing with my Transformers then.

You would not play an awesome new game because the names are in English? Just because the name is spelt one way doesn't mean you can't read it as another. Further, like with the original game, you can rename them so you can just change to the spelling you want.

Server is down so I can't check if there is a language feature but I don't think there is from memory.

As far as I know there is no way to change the language in Pokemon go
    And definitely no way to switch the names to their Japanese versions (romaji)
    The only Pokemon game I know of with a language feature is Pokemon X and Y for 3DS which due to their worldwide simultaneous release had a language option upon first start up
    But even then it was full language not just dub names.
    If you'd rather use the Japanese names I'd suggest waiting for the Japanese release or just using the option to nickname your Pokemon to give them the names you prefer

In other news I didn't challenge the gym today. But I did catch a Staryu and hatch a Ponyta and Caterpie

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    You would not play an awesome new game because the names are in English? Just because the name is spelt one way doesn't mean you can't read it as another.
    I'm not a fan (i.e. person with fanatical interest) of Pokémon by any means (if I were, then sure, I would be less fussed). It's just that was living in Japan around when the Pokémon craze started so it was everywhere, especially in toy sections/stores when I'd go hunting for Beast Wars Transformers. It's just something that is nostalgic of my time as an exchange student so having the names in another language pretty much detracts that nostalgia for me. I have a friend who generally watches all anime subtitled, but when it comes to Macross he absolutely prefers watching Robotech because of the nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Further, like with the original game, you can rename them so you can just change to the spelling you want.

Server is down so I can't check if there is a language feature but I don't think there is from memory.
    Ooh, that is pretty cool.