Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152030 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Go

Gets pretty obsessive. My buddy drove out at 10:30pm to chase Venasaur. As he was driving, he realised the car in front was making the exact same turns and going in the same direction as him. When he and the car in front got to the Venasaur location, there were 5 other cars parked with their engines on.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Pokemon Go was released in HK yesterday. My husband walked around this morning and found 80 different pokemon (and loads more duplicates) in the space of 2 hours. Is it supposed to be this easy?
    He also said we have a "gym" in the middle of our apartment complex fountain which is proving popular...
    I'm not expecting to see him for the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    Pokemon Go was released in HK yesterday. My husband walked around this morning and found 80 different pokemon (and loads more duplicates) in the space of 2 hours. Is it supposed to be this easy?
    He also said we have a "gym" in the middle of our apartment complex fountain which is proving popular...
    I'm not expecting to see him for the next few days.
    Wow! I've been playing for about 2 weeks and only have 71 unique Pokemon. Maybe they are more condensed in HK given the smaller area. Good going for him and nice to hear that he now has a geek(ish) hobby that he can obsess on!

Quote Originally Posted by BruiseLee View Post
    Wow! I've been playing for about 2 weeks and only have 71 unique Pokemon. Maybe they are more condensed in HK given the smaller area. Good going for him and nice to hear that he now has a geek(ish) hobby that he can obsess on!
    We were wondering if because of the human population here the pokemon are released in larger proportion too.
    Although he says it also helps that there are 2 poke-stops within 100 metres of our apartment block and a lure right in front of Tim Ho Wan (the restaurant) which is only about 200 m away from us.
    He was waiting for the lift to come back up to our apartment before and caught 4 pokemon just while waiting!
    Do businesses pay for these poke-stops and lures? I just went for a walk with him and it seems every few restaurants there is one... seems too convenient that these lures are in front of places where you'd go in and sit down...

Do businesses pay for these poke-stops and lures? I just went for a walk with him and it seems every few restaurants there is one... seems too convenient that these lures are in front of places where you'd go in and sit down...
    i'm not sure if it is related or not but i heard something about mcdonalds getting involved in some countries, so if you go to a mcdonalds it has some kind of pokemon related thing there.

We were wondering if because of the human population here the pokemon are released in larger proportion too.
    Although he says it also helps that there are 2 poke-stops within 100 metres of our apartment block and a lure right in front of Tim Ho Wan (the restaurant) which is only about 200 m away from us.
    Someone (sorry, not the best reference) suggested that greater mobile activity leads to greater diversity in pokemon spawning. At Rhodes I caught Jynx, Magmar and Kangaskhan within 1 hr.

He was waiting for the lift to come back up to our apartment before and caught 4 pokemon just while waiting!
    It doesn't look like it for the time being. Otherwise its a no brainer for a business owner to pay for several lures during the day (meal hours). Most of the time you would be able to spot one very serious customer taking advantage of the lure they've dropped down.

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    i'm not sure if it is related or not but i heard something about mcdonalds getting involved in some countries, so if you go to a mcdonalds it has some kind of pokemon related thing there.
    That sounds counteractive to their goal of getting people out and moving!

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

80 different in two hours seems too easy! I've got 58 so far, some of which from evolutions and some from eggs. Would like a repel to get rid of all the Rattatas and Zubats!

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    Someone (sorry, not the best reference) suggested that greater mobile activity leads to greater diversity in pokemon spawning. At Rhodes I caught Jynx, Magmar and Kangaskhan within 1 hr.
    I had a look at that Pokevision thing and I think that might be true... No Pokemon near my house until I opened up the app and then some start spawning.

I was at my Dad's place on the weekend and the area was a deadzone, couldn't see a gym or pokestop anywhere. At home I can see four gyms and about a dozen pokestops. Came back to work in the CBD and they are everywhere!

Since the three step nearby issue is still around (some say it is deliberate), I have been using a few suggestions from programmers and utilizing "bots" in order to scan my local town and the larger city I work in, in order to a) find the spawn points and b) find what spawns there

With only a few days data, I have already been able to find a few nests where one Pokemon seem to exclusive live, along with other areas that have a higher number of some of the less common items.

It all still comes down to luck and timing however as to what will spawn when you visit the area at the correct time. Due to needing to collect multiples in order to get candies and evolve, along with how a Pokemon will get stronger as you level up I can already see multiple visits in my future to these locations.

All of this is of course against the terms of service, but it does actually make the game fun, otherwise my only hope of getting some items is via hatching eggs.

I think the population is key. I'm in country Japan, and with very few gyms, even less pokestops and a smattering of Pokemon around the area.
    However, I headed into Kobe when I was off on holiday and pokestops/gyms everywhere. Pokemon out the wahzoo. Completely different to what I see daily. Oddly, after coming back from the holiday, I had no pokeballs, a short slow bus ride through kobe and I had amassed 60 just because I manage to pass so many pokestops on the way.

I kind of wish that the pokemon were more realistically distributed. Like grass pokemon in grass areas, say Ponytas in wide spaces, water pokemon by the sea/pools etc. I get the feeling that isn't actually the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    McDonalds is definitely associated in Japan. They've made it quite public knowledge.

On a slight side note, there is a local Otaku who was level 25 by the night of the first day release here in Japan, and had a Magmar placeed on the closest gym to me. Now, that is a lot of work considering hwo the game got releaed at about 10.30 that day. I noticed the gym taken at about 8pm.
    Yesterday I had a look and the also has a Gyarados. Meaning he has already picked up 200 Magikarp.
    yowseers.
    As you can imagine, me and my weak buddies have made it our mission to take him down whenever we see him at a gym. No matter how much it costs us (in potions etc)

Hatched a squirted yesterday, after not even seeing one for the last few weeks and now I've caught another 3 while at Eatwood to see a mate today.

Eastwood station is a gym and while I was at my mates place it changed hands at least 15 times in two hours!

Population definitely makes a difference, I caught more and a wider variety of Pokemon in two hours at Eastwood than I do in a day at Penrith, more players does seem to equal more Pokemon.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)