Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why are the movies so criticised for not being 'G1-accurate'?

With the release of the design of a certain character for Transformers: The Last Knight, fans are once again in an uproar over character design.

Again, names have been reused and reassigned since Beast Wars, and character designs have likewise been changed over the years, so the idea of a name being used on a different-looking character shouldn't be such a big deal, yet it is for the movies.

I don't care about the name reuse... I don't care so much about the design... what bugs me more is the apparent lack of imagination in the creation of the character^persona.

Look at Beast Wars Inferno. The name and design are nothing like his G1 namesake, but he's an awesome character in his own right. Fans can be forgiving of significant departures from the original source if the end result is actually good.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I don't care about the name reuse... I don't care so much about the design... what bugs me more is the apparent lack of imagination in the creation of the character^persona.

Look at Beast Wars Inferno. The name and design are nothing like his G1 namesake, but he's an awesome character in his own right. Fans can be forgiving of significant departures from the original source if the end result is actually good.
    Yes my Queen!

The bulk of the complaints I've seen are about the design. In a recent discussion on Reddit, one reader even claimed that the movieverse Transformers weren't Transformers "because they look nothing like transformers," they "look nothing like the robots that transformers heralded for years" and that they have "no resemblence (sic) whatsoever to actual transformers."

If you're concerned about the persona/character, wouldn't it be best to wait until we get to see the character in the finished product? We've got barely a few sentences about the character's personality. I don't think it's fair to make an assessment on that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    If you're concerned about the persona/character, wouldn't it be best to wait until we get to see the character in the finished product?
    Past experience indicates a LACK of personality and character in most of the Transformers Bay movies. Don't need to wait

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Past experience indicates a LACK of personality and character in most of the Transformers Bay movies. Don't need to wait
    I've maintained that this is an issue with the writing, but between the trend of increasing robot screentime with each successive movie, and the new writing team coming out of the writer's room organised by Steven Spielberg and Akiva Goldsman, I'm actually hopeful

Yes, but this issue has happened for four movies now. I'd say that the burden of proof now lies on Michael Bay to demonstrate that he can produce a good Transformer movie. I'm fully expecting The Last Knight to be a terrible film, but I'm MORE than happy for Bay to prove me wrong.

I dare him to prove me wrong.

I've been making this dare since 2009.

Yes, but this issue has happened for four movies now. I'd say that the burden of proof now lies on Michael Bay to demonstrate that he can produce a good Transformer movie. I'm fully expecting The Last Knight to be a terrible film, but I'm MORE than happy for Bay to prove me wrong.

I dare him to prove me wrong.

I've been making this dare since 2009.
    As I've said before, it's my suspicion that the issue is the writing, not Michael Bay's directing. Look at his other movies and you'll see no shortage of character moments if not development. What's different? The writing.

Okay, I dare the writers to prove me wrong. I dare Paramount to prove me wrong. Whoever it is, I just want to see a decent Transformers film!!! And as director, Bay is like the captain of a sports team. If some of his players are underperforming, then he's going to brunt the criticism.

I haven't seen too many other Bay movies, my favourite non-TF Bay film would be Bad Boys, but that was cos I loved the performances by Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. Also I was a teenager when that film came out, and we know that Michael Bay's movies are a hit with teenage boys. I'm not sure how I'd feel about this film if I watched it now as an adult.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I double dare and because this topic is done to death, I am just going to agree with goki statements and reasons. I probably have a lot of negative to criticise about the latest ones but I rather not.