Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 117

Thread: Rogue One

  1. #81
    Join Date
    7th Apr 2010
    Location
    BRAYBROOK
    Posts
    2,778

    Default

    Finally saw it! So much fun, IMO it's better than part 7! Those X-Wing shots are absolutely stunning
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

  2. #82
    Join Date
    14th Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Darth Vader vs Rebels in Rogue One - in 16-bit!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biYMDphGTcg
    They missed my fav fatality move - Vader using the force to slam a guy on to the ceiling and then slicing him in half as he slowly walks past!


    変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!


  3. #83
    Join Date
    23rd Jul 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Went to see it a second time. I have to buy the score next time I visit JB HI-FI.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    18th Nov 2008
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Love my K2SO figure even more now having seen the film

  5. #85
    Join Date
    2nd Oct 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    447

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumbleb33 View Post
    Love my K2SO figure even more now having seen the film
    Can't wait for the Hot Toys K-2SO - looks so good!

  6. #86
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    36,915

  7. #87
    Join Date
    21st Jul 2014
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,640

    Default

    So the stars aligned and the missus and I finally had a chance to head to the movies to see something other than Sing or Trolls... Rogue One! It has been mighty difficult ensuring there were no spoilers since it's release (I mean we all knew what was going to happen but the journey was the adventure) but it was well worth it. Loved it. Perfect ending imho. Oh and I am clearly not a true fan as I was totally like "where are all the Bothans?" and needed to Google the answer...

  8. #88
    Join Date
    14th Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    "where are all the Bothans?"
    Considering how badly the Rebellion fleet was decimated in Rogue One, yet still not deserving a one-liner nor a sullen moment of silence in A New Hope, I have extremely high expectations for the Bothans.


    変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!


  9. #89
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    36,915

    Default

    A lot of people have criticised Vader's appearance in Rogue One as being needless. And while I was able to justify his assault on the Rebels, I initially felt that his appearance on Mustafar wasn't necessary as it doesn't really contribute to the plot - and this is true.

    But I just realised that that scene does establish something else that contributes to A New Hope -- just how bitter his hatred towards Obi-Wan Kenobi had become. By living at the site where Obi-Wan nearly killed him, Vader is constantly reminded of his defeat which would continually fuel his obsession with wanting to kill Kenobi. Whether the Emperor chose for Vader to live there or if Vader himself chose to live there in order to further feed his own rage is not known, but the result is the same.

    This explains why Vader is so keen to immediately hunt down and kill Obi-Wan when he felt his presence on the Death Star. And why there wasn't any kind of emotional reunion between the two characters - no argument, no sustained conversation... just Vader telling Obi-Wan how he's been itching to finish their fight that they had 20 freakin' years ago. And he didn't order any Stormtroopers to accompany him - it had to be one on one because this was such a personal fight for Vader.

    Okay, Vader's interaction with Krennic wasn't really necessary, but it allowed the story to show us how Vader lives, which in turn helps to flesh out (no pun intended) Vader's character and motivations. And we know that the ending of Rogue One explains why Vader's so urinated with the Rebels at the beginning of A New Hope, because those Rebels (including Leia) are trolling Vader so hard!
    "Where are the plans?"
    "Plans? Dunno what you're talking about, dude. We're a diplomatic mission."
    "Pig's bum! I was literally chasing you guys with the plans at your door just an hour ago!"


    And the Mustafar scene also helps to further explain why Vader is so obsessed with Obi-Wan Kenobi two decades after their fight. We even see Grand Moff Tarkin in ANH basically tell Vader, "Seriously? Just let it go." - but Vader can't. Mental health practice tells us that the standard way of dealing with trauma is diversion therapy. It's not like in movies and TV shows where people are made to recall their traumatic events (that does happen if they have to testify as a key witness in court, but this is also why this kind of testament is really difficult for victims as it's causing them mental anguish and goes against the healing process; worse still when cases drag on and the witness needs to testify multiple times ). As far as treating patients are concerned, treatment focuses on getting them to basically stop dwelling on unpleasant events and think about other more positive things. In other words, to get on with their lives. Aside from his suit being a permanent reminder of his greatest defeat, living in proximity to where it happened would possibly be an even bigger and constant reminder. Imagine if a victim of the Boston Marathon bombing who had to have limbs amputated were to live in a building just across the road from where the explosive had gone off. And they were socially isolated - no friends, no family... just looking out the window at the site of that horrible event every day. It would drive you insane... and this explains Vader's state of mind and yeah, his obsession with Obi-Wan must've been part of this insanity.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    14th Nov 2009
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,896

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    A lot of people have criticised Vader's appearance in Rogue One as being needless. And while I was able to justify his assault on the Rebels, I initially felt that his appearance on Mustafar wasn't necessary as it doesn't really contribute to the plot - and this is true.

    But I just realised that that scene does establish something else that contributes to A New Hope -- just how bitter his hatred towards Obi-Wan Kenobi had become. By living at the site where Obi-Wan nearly killed him, Vader is constantly reminded of his defeat which would continually fuel his obsession with wanting to kill Kenobi. Whether the Emperor chose for Vader to live there or if Vader himself chose to live there in order to further feed his own rage is not known, but the result is the same.

    This explains why Vader is so keen to immediately hunt down and kill Obi-Wan when he felt his presence on the Death Star. And why there wasn't any kind of emotional reunion between the two characters - no argument, no sustained conversation... just Vader telling Obi-Wan how he's been itching to finish their fight that they had 20 freakin' years ago. And he didn't order any Stormtroopers to accompany him - it had to be one on one because this was such a personal fight for Vader.

    Okay, Vader's interaction with Krennic wasn't really necessary, but it allowed the story to show us how Vader lives, which in turn helps to flesh out (no pun intended) Vader's character and motivations. And we know that the ending of Rogue One explains why Vader's so urinated with the Rebels at the beginning of A New Hope, because those Rebels (including Leia) are trolling Vader so hard!
    "Where are the plans?"
    "Plans? Dunno what you're talking about, dude. We're a diplomatic mission."
    "Pig's bum! I was literally chasing you guys with the plans at your door just an hour ago!"

    I really like this explanation of Vader's castle on Mustafar, however have not gone through the author's sources. As usual, spoiler alert, and watch at your own risk


    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    And the Mustafar scene also helps to further explain why Vader is so obsessed with Obi-Wan Kenobi two decades after their fight. We even see Grand Moff Tarkin in ANH basically tell Vader, "Seriously? Just let it go." - but Vader can't. Mental health practice tells us that the standard way of dealing with trauma is diversion therapy. It's not like in movies and TV shows where people are made to recall their traumatic events (that does happen if they have to testify as a key witness in court, but this is also why this kind of testament is really difficult for victims as it's causing them mental anguish and goes against the healing process; worse still when cases drag on and the witness needs to testify multiple times ). As far as treating patients are concerned, treatment focuses on getting them to basically stop dwelling on unpleasant events and think about other more positive things. In other words, to get on with their lives. Aside from his suit being a permanent reminder of his greatest defeat, living in proximity to where it happened would possibly be an even bigger and constant reminder. Imagine if a victim of the Boston Marathon bombing who had to have limbs amputated were to live in a building just across the road from where the explosive had gone off. And they were socially isolated - no friends, no family... just looking out the window at the site of that horrible event every day. It would drive you insane... and this explains Vader's state of mind and yeah, his obsession with Obi-Wan must've been part of this insanity.
    Hatred and vengeance is important, but don't forget that Mustafar should be the last place Anakin sees Padme alive; after choking her, he gets beaten by Obi-Wan, and waking up he is told by Sidious that Padme didn't survive. Scene 231.

    Using your analogy, I see it more like the perpetrator of the Boston Marathon living in close proximity to the site where the love of his life also perished (along with his limbs), when she should not have been there; and then later on runs into an old friend who brought her there (against his plans).
    (Also, not-trying to romanticise the Boston Marathon Bombing from an alt POV here...)
    At that stage, even killing Obi-Wan won't really give Vader closure.


    変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •