Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: MP-11ND Masterpiece Dirge

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Just sayin'

(images)
    Point taken, but those jets still all have vertical stablisers on the fuselage.

In any case, the wing joint appears to be there to maintain G1 accuracy on the MP toy plus allow for length reduction and some degree of leg movement in robot mode.

Last edited by griffin; 2nd August 2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: hotlinked image

Yeah, but that has significantly large winglets which appear to be acting as vertical stabilisers. In fact...
    "Winglets served double duty on Burt Rutan's canard pusher configuration VariEze and Long-EZ, acting as both a wingtip device and a vertical stabilizer. Several other derivatives of these and other similar aircraft use this design element." (source)
    But I don't know if such proportionately small winglets on Dirge's wings could effectively double as vertical stabilisers.
    Last edited by griffin; 2nd August 2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: editted quote

Dirge's ult mode will fly, it might not be a very efficient design on a fighter jet per se but it will work.
    Stabilisers are preferred on delta wings over larger winglets which is another reason you dont see dirges being built.
    But the B2 Stealth Bomber has neither and still flies fine, so thats one example.

Anyway, were going a wee off track from what is the MP release of a toy with fictionally modified wing design on an F-15 body.
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

Good lord, I can't believe we're debating the flyability of Dirge.

But it we must, look at Thrust's wings. Is there a real world equivalent/similarity?

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post

But it we must, look at Thrust's wings. Is there a real world equivalent/similarity?
    As an ex aircraft engineer , I just shut up. Lol
    I prefer we focus on the toy about likes and dislikes.
    I am thinking of how I want to display all my seekers.
    While normally I display in bot mode, I think I would like to change this time round.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    As an ex aircraft engineer , I just shut up. Lol
    I prefer we focus on the toy about likes and dislikes.
    I am thinking of how I want to display all my seekers.
    While normally I display in bot mode, I think I would like to change this time round.
    Lol!

The only seeker I have displayed in alt mode is Hasbro Skywarp, and that's only because I dislike the MP6 style bot mode. That'll change once MP-11SW comes in. I'll see how Thrust looks in jet mode, the only thing putting me off is possibly the two-tone colour.

<nerdy.snort.laff> BD
    I did mention before that Thrust probably wouldn't fly either. None of the 2nd Year Jets look like they can fly, or if they can, not very well. But yeah, these are fictitiously modified F15s, and hey, if something as ridiculously shaped as Cosmos can fly in Earth's atmosphere, why not these jets? Besides, we all know the real reason as to why they can all actually fly...

In any case, none of this reflects on the MP toy which is merely being accurate to its source material.

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Alt mode is nice but im just not feeling the robot mode.

I'd buy all 3 and display in alt mode if money is not object.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    <nerdy.snort.laff> BD

I did mention before that Thrust probably wouldn't fly either. None of the 2nd Year Jets look like they can fly, or if they can, not very well. But yeah, these are fictitiously modified F15s, and hey, if something as ridiculously shaped as Cosmos can fly in Earth's atmosphere, why not these jets? Besides, we all know the real reason as to why they can all actually fly...
    If we are going by the cartoon then that's the least of our problems, how do all the Decepticons and Dinobots fly in bot mode despite having no visible means of propulsion or lift.