Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2121718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Titans Return toys revealed

If Takara gives the mould a new head (which they're seemingly not adverse to, given the cartoon accurate Headmasters) and a slavishly '86 movie paintjob, I'll bite. I don't want to say hate, but Hasbro's just does nothing with its garish colours and weird face. Great if you're a G1 comic lover though.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Kup doesn't look great in robot mode. Vehicle mode almost nails it. Much like all the TR movie figures. My Gen Kup will still suffice, especially with the 3P head.

Quote Originally Posted by morg176 View Post
    That hot rod looks awesome. Ill be buying that one.
    Agreed on both points.
    You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    If Takara gives the mould a new head (which they're seemingly not adverse to, given the cartoon accurate Headmasters) and a slavishly '86 movie paintjob, I'll bite. I don't want to say hate, but Hasbro's just does nothing with its garish colours and weird face. Great if you're a G1 comic lover though.
    To be fair, TakaraTOMY's versions are significantly more expensive than Hasbro's. I picked up Legends Weirdwolf when I was in Japan this^last year... but I'd be lying if I said that the RRP didn't bother me. I care nothing for Llarigo (repaint of Apeface's drone), and while the colours and new head are nicer it still doesn't justify the 4000JPY (AU$50) price tag.

Hasbro's versions sold for half that price at most retailers, and with sales, even less than that. I paid $15 for Hot Rod and even less for Blurr (although that was via a private sale). I bought LG Weirdwolf really as a souvenir while in Japan, and of course there was no shipping cost as I just physically brought the toy back with me. But I cannot justify importing any of the LGs. I've seen LG Blurr IRL in Japan (in one of those clear case end cap displays) - it was beautiful. But I paid a quarter of that price for my TR Blurr and about 3.5 times less for my TR Hot Rod.

As I said, I'm not going to pay $25~30 for Kup. I'll wait until the price drops into the teens then think about it. And yeah, I'm a G1 comic lover, so...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    To be fair, TakaraTOMY's versions are significantly more expensive than Hasbro's. I picked up Legends Weirdwolf when I was in Japan this^last year... but I'd be lying if I said that the RRP didn't bother me. I care nothing for Llarigo (repaint of Apeface's drone), and while the colours and new head are nicer it still doesn't justify the 4000JPY (AU$50) price tag.

Hasbro's versions sold for half that price at most retailers, and with sales, even less than that. I paid $15 for Hot Rod and even less for Blurr (although that was via a private sale). I bought LG Weirdwolf really as a souvenir while in Japan, and of course there was no shipping cost as I just physically brought the toy back with me. But I cannot justify importing any of the LGs. I've seen LG Blurr IRL in Japan (in one of those clear case end cap displays) - it was beautiful. But I paid a quarter of that price for my TR Blurr and about 3.5 times less for my TR Hot Rod.

As I said, I'm not going to pay $25~30 for Kup. I'll wait until the price drops into the teens then think about it. And yeah, I'm a G1 comic lover, so...
    The deluxes do seem to have a pretty hefty tag in comparison. Locally seems like they're fine, I picked up Soundwave for about $60-$70, but import costs are a killer.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Before the TR series, price wise they were pretty similar once you take currency conversion into account, before shipping. I think the extra vehicle/weapon gave hen an excuse to raise the price a little (too much?)

Back onto Kup, there's speculation that they might use this mould for Crosshairs. I just checked out photos of G1 Crosshairs, and I think I'd be happy with this mould for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    The deluxes do seem to have a pretty hefty tag in comparison. Locally seems like they're fine, I picked up Soundwave for about $60-$70, but import costs are a killer.
    Even if I were living in Japan and being paid in Japanese Yen, 4000JPY is the equivalent of forty bucks. That's a lot to pay for a freakin' Deluxe. Compare this with the 2500~2800JPY RRP for most other Deluxe Class figures in Japan. From a Japanese POV it's the equivalent of $25~28, which is pretty similar to the $25~30 range that we pay for Deluxes here.

On the surface TakaraTOMY's RRP for Deluxe Headmasters may seem comparatively similar to our prices. For the equivalent of forty bucks you get a Deluxe ($30) and a Titan Master ($10), but wait... you don't get an additional Titan Master, you just get the drone only. So my LG Weirdwolf is the mould equivalent of TR Wolfwire and Apeface but without Apeface... just his drone. So I have half of that set, which really makes it worth say $5 (half the price). Thus at best the LG Weirdwolf set should really be selling at ¥3500, not ¥4000.

The LG Headmasters might be better value if you can get them at a discounted price. If any of your friends in Japan have member cards with stores like Yodobashi Camera, Bic Camera etc., you can use them to get a discount. And if the store gives you additional discount with your passport you might try to stack that discount (I've never tried discount stacking*, but doesn't hurt to try, eh?). But I can't justify TakaraTOMY's full RRP for their LG Deluxes over Hasbro's in Australia. And I couldn't find any LGs at discount price... heck, it was hard finding LGs period! Despite the hefty price tag these toys are clearly selling like hotcakes.

----------------------------------------
    *Except at Hero Gangu in Osaka - stacked my duty-free discount w/ passport plus haggled discount with management

Indeed. I was a little astounded at the fact that besides a lone Legends Skids, the new LG wave was the only Legends stuff present. There was a Blaster and Adventure Sky Shadow on the end display, but I didn't think it would be so hard to find anything even a little old.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    I'll agree with you on Scourge, yet Blurr's earlier incarnation worked much better as Drift imo. Not calling it a bad design, just not very Blurr-y to my mind.
    I've really come around to Titans Return Blurr. He's lithe and poseable like a speedster should be (the colours aren't the best), but he's a way better figure than I expected. I always thought Universe Blurr's mould was a bit bulky (though I really regret not picking up Drift).

Quote Originally Posted by Gouki View Post
    I've really come around to Titans Return Blurr. He's lithe and poseable like a speedster should be (the colours aren't the best), but he's a way better figure than I expected. I always thought Universe Blurr's mould was a bit bulky (though I really regret not picking up Drift).
    Universe's Blurr is too bulky! The Drift mould has never been a great match for Blurr. The IDW-based head is nice, but the asteroid-sized chin looks weird.

TR Blurr's colour is nice. That deep metallic blue, quite reminiscent of G1 Thundercracker. The difference is that TR Blurr has a nice colour, while LG Blurr has nice colours. Plural.