Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MakeToys MTRM-08 DESPOTRON

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    It depends on your State's laws, there's a good chance it could be seized by customs as it resembles a firearm. There's a very good chance it would be picked up if the toy is boxed in gun mode (hence showing on x-ray) rather than bot mode.

Back in the day, I had to fill this in to bring in MP-05 Megs

Showing it to customs on my return was pretty funny as well!
    That's odd, I had no problem bringing my MP-05 back from a holiday in Hong Kong back in '09. They didn't even question me.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by laproblematique View Post
    That's odd, I had no problem bringing my MP-05 back from a holiday in Hong Kong back in '09. They didn't even question me.
    Need to know basis, is just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by laproblematique View Post
    Well the proofs in the pudding: http://www.smh.com.au/national/toy-t...70511-c65.html

Quite frankly if I hadn't of said anything, it's likely I could've snuck MP-05 back in. Megatron is boxed in bot mode (same with Apployon) and wouldn't have been suspicious on the x-ray scanners. But alll I did was tick the "firearms" box on the customs form on arrival, they pulled me aside and I showed them Megatron along with the approved permit. Even the customs guy was amused that I had to get a permit for poor old Megatron.

If I was picked up for a random suitcase search and not declared I had MP-05, then things would've been interesting. I have no desire to end up as another one of those Asian people you see on Border Security

So basically I preferred to play it safe. Getting a permit cost me nothing but a bit of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravagecat View Post
    Hey just curious as to where you have pre-ordered Despotron from?

Also will he look like this when it arrives?

BBTS seem to be the only online source for this guy that have stated the following:

"To comply with United States Toy & Imitation Gun Laws, a blaze orange safety tip will be added to the end of the gun barrel. Only the rounded tip of the plug will be visible; the shaft of the plug will be inserted into the barrel and permanently attached with adhesive. The adhesive will not be applied to the face of the barrel. Please do not attempt to remove the permanently installed barrel plug as it will damage your figure.

This modification requires that all boxes will be opened, and the contents removed for modification. Factory tape seals on the package and the clamshell will be cut and resealed; and the plastic clamshell itself may be cut to make room for the gun barrel after the orange plug is applied.

Below we have included the actual law pertaining to imitation firearms. Please remember that our solution to remain compliant with the US Toy & Imitation Gun law is the only legal way for us to be able to offer this item to our customers........."

Anyone happen to know what Australian Customs stand is going to be on this toy? Will each state follow the same rules as they did with MP Megatron I wonder?

I am really interested in getting Despotron but not if it's going to be seized at customs and/or vandalized
    We have a thread which deals with this exact question. I suggest any questions/comments are moved there and you have a thorough read of the first post

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=20265
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    We have a thread which deals with this exact question. I suggest any questions/comments are moved there and you have a thorough read of the first post
    Hey Trent, thanks for this (appreciate it) but I know of this thread already and understand what is required to own these types of toys. Was more wanting to know if this toy would follow the same guidelines for owning MP Megs. Clearly it would so it should of been obvious to me . At the end of the day customs will do what they will do and as long as people follow the rules for their state there shouldn't be any problems owning this toy I imagine...

My main question which has been overlooked was if anyone knew whether all online seller's of this toy are going to do what BBTS has stated on their website with the orange plug? I'd be pretty annoyed if I ordered this from a source that hasn't mentioned the plug but did it anyway...

Actually your question was what customs would do about the toy, hence our little spiel, not whether retailers would be putting the orange plug in.

If you want to minimise your chances of an orange plug, buy from a Japan or Hong Kong or Asia based retailer where there are no such requirement. I got my MP-05 direct from Singapore and he didn't have an orange plug. Off the top of my head, my Appolyon did have an orange plug but it wasn't attached with adhesive and I pulled mine out easily.

I had people buying from Hong Kong sources for Appolyon and it included the plug.

Ask the seller question?

so does anyone here know of any aussie retailers that are getting this guy in? are any of you guys setup with your licenses that would get an extra for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pep_87 View Post
    so does anyone here know of any aussie retailers that are getting this guy in? are any of you guys setup with your licenses that would get an extra for someone else.
    No, not that I know any who would bother for the amount of hassles. You just need to have the balls to buy one. You are probably afraid which is understandable however given that maketoys has made efforts not showing him in gun mode in any pics of their box and have excluded the silencer and extend stalk. It's probably going to pass right through.

You can pay someone in wa to buy it and send it to you otherwise .

There is a video review now
    http://youtu.be/2nGfrBqpop4

I wished I had more face choices but I am okay with it.

I was all "im happy with my Apolly but have a look at that Despotron! holy moly he looks fine with different faces and wot not....i want him"

And now im all "oooooh wow, look at what Takara has over in that corner"
    Sometimes all you need is a little energon and alotta luck...