Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyer beware: KO MP Ironhide incoming

Default Buyer beware: KO MP Ironhide incoming

Noticed a post on TFW by TFW board member JPrime that there are preorders going up for a KO MP Ironhide. Not sure if it's going to be an easily identifiable Takasa Tony but if you're in the market for an official version be careful as these are supposed to be released around Nov this year.

TF Direct has the listing up at US$35.

Megatran Guest

Reissue MP Ironhide is scheduled for release later this month. Interesting ....

People pre-order counterfeits?? Are they that determined not to miss out on a fake? #idonteven

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    People pre-order counterfeits?? Are they that determined not to miss out on a fake? #idonteven
    Don't be surprised that there are insane people that deliberately buy them. I don't . It's just the way it is unfortunately unless TT does something. I am sure ratchet will be Ko as well if this is the case.

You have to understand that there are plenty of people who love TFs as much as we, but without the means to spend more lavishly on the top end gear like masterpiece. These knockoffs could be their outlet, so they preorder to secure it in much the same way we would preorder to secure the official release.

Its the same with any product, like buying a cheapo beanie/scarf of your beloved sporting team for you/your kids/etc from the local two dollar store because you can't afford to spend $30 on the real thing.

Unfortunately life revolves around money, and for many, you take what you can get.
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

The other alternative is to skip that toy and move on to purchasing something more affordable. And if they love Transformers and want the toy that badly, then surely they'd find a way... like pre-ordering from an online store (thus getting pre-order discount) that only charges you when the toy is shipped (thus giving you months to start saving for the toy). So let's say that the cost of pre-ordering and shipping an MP Ironhide comes around to be about $100. Let's say that this toy was ordered on the 1st of September but is shipped on the 1st of February. That basically gives the person five months (or 153 days to be exact) to set aside $100. That's roughly 65c a day. At the risk of sounding like a World Vision ad, that is literally less than the cost of a coffee a day. If you did save a dollar a day, you would have saved up for the toy in 3.3 months. If you can't afford to be saving 65c~$1 a day, then perhaps you should rethink your priorities and stop collecting until you're more financially stable!

The other alternative is to skip that toy and move on to purchasing something more affordable.
    If you can't afford to be saving 65c~$1 a day, then perhaps you should rethink your priorities and stop collecting until you're more financially stable!
    Your opinion is biased by your dislike of KO's (I agree with the sentiment that KOs are fradulent, but that's for another discussion). I mean that no matter what someone might say as justification, you will just rebuke by saying "its a KO, not a transformer proper, therefore your argument is invalid."

You're an intelligent guy, but I think sometimes you need to take the 'fly on the wall' mindset when trying to look at someone else's point of view. Remove all preconceived opinions and right/wrongs of the topic, to better understand their position. Then you can return to your normal position, and disagree with it, but you will least not do it blindly and robotically.

Logically yes, many people in this hobby (and others) shouldn't be collecting because they cant afford it. You see plenty of examples where people have an unexpected car/appliance/etc failure and they need to offload toys to help pay for it. They're very silly for living so heavily on the edge. But there are people who live much more simply, within their means quite comfortably, but still cant (ever) afford the premium collector focused lines. They can afford what's on the shelves at retail but don't want them (they are in effect toys aimed at kids). They see the KOs being made at no more than voyager toys and decide that's the only way for them to financially satisfy their love for the characters/story.

I won't begrudge someone in that position, because to do so basically implies they cant have something because they're poor. I reuse my KO sports apparel example for a poorer family. Try tell a child that he cant dress up like his sporting hero because the only apparel his parents could afford are counterfeit and that's wrong. You will have very little support there.

There are so many examples (TFs are but a minor speck in the KO world) of people dealing with KOs. The undeveloped world is full of people wearing fake main brand items like Nike. Why? Probably because they don't want to look poor, or they're trying to fit in with acceptable standards of society, or they're emulating a celebrity, whatever.

KOs shouldn't exist. But they do, everywhere. If someone buys them simply because they see them as a way to bypass the higher price, then point the finger. But I will not judge someone who fits into one of the many categories above.

This moves back to the general discussion of KOs in general I know, but its hard to not do so when discussing one particular KO.

Imma send you a PM with a questionas to no go off topic further.
    www.mariokart64.com
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

You should ask what about his opinion on shutter glass since the original is a Ko and hasbro copied it including the name. I personally found it distasteful from an offical company.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    Imma send you a PM with a questionas to no go off topic further.
    No, please don't. You nailed basically everything I have been wanting to say everytime Gok posts on a KO thread and just couldn't put it into words as well as you have. I would like to read Gok's reply. Even if the discussion is moved elsewhere.