Page 34 of 75 FirstFirst ... 142429303132333435363738394454 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Official - MP-36 is a new Megatron

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Is a masterpiece for crying out loud, not a damn action figure hence people collect it as a show piece. Wheeljack sudden no paint come out as odd finish rather than help in this case . Whereas Magnus is done uniformed. Wheeljack is done halfway making it odd in this case where his roof is painted white but the bare white plastic is enough to show oddness rather than safe the bot from scratching.

Time to time, when I take binaltech smokescreen and compare to wheeljack, you can see that a real masterpiece is more leaning towards the binaltech one. Sure my smokescreen had scratching but it feels properly done after like what? 10 years? All paint is still presented nicely overall.

Looking at my new red alert plus it looks well painted, no issues on scratch paint. Perhaps TT should just make a budget downgrade line where people are just wanting rough playing and not caring about show casing. Any much cheaper looking I guess I am better just becoming a misb collector where the box looks better than what is inside?

I am expecting Megatron to be like shockwave zero paint finish. I be very surprised if they paint the grey.

This is why I appreciate what third party is doing, dumping the cheap looking and putting premium.

Swirl plastic like starscream is horrid let alone my mp-10 has them on red.

I was told paint on plastic is no different with paint on metal. I now fully disagree that theory as I find there is a difference especially how it appears.

I be amazed if TT has decided not to show gun mode on their box for Megatron .
    Last edited by drifand; 20th November 2016 at 10:50 AM.

Another thing to consider is that a whole new MP Megatron was probably made because there doesn't yet exist one which is on the new MP scale, and the new MP scale is based off MP10. Obviously with each subsequent MP figure TakaraTOMY looks at how they can make each toy better than the last, and they've learnt and developed clever tricks to better hide/conceal parts etc. I think that it's unreasonable to judge a toy based on merits of toys that were created after it. And I don't know if it's necessary to "reboot" an MP character each time new innovations are made, because then wouldn't we be expecting TakaraTOMY to be forever pumping out new MP Convoys, Megatrons etc. rather than focusing on releasing MPs of G1 characters who have yet to have any? (e.g. Meister, Hound, Sunstreaker, Trailbreaker, Hoist, Cliffjumper, Brawn, Huffer, Gears, Windcharger, Skids, Skyfire etc.?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevac View Post
    They didn't collapse the wheels into his leg I remember reading there was a reason why they didn't do it can't remember it though.
    Budget could be one. Megatron isn't a play set like MP10. In the absence of including things like a trailer/Combat Deck and Roller car, they were able to pour more money into the actual figure itself. Creating a new MP Convoy at a similar level may either require TakaraTOMY to sacrifice the trailer and Roller (as they initially did w/ MP1) or significantly jack the price up to the point where Convoy may cost around $300. Look at how many people are already whinging about MP36's RRP, and heck, even MP10's RRP was pretty steep (both MP10 and MP36 have about the same RRP). How many of us paid full RRP or more for either MP10 or MP36? Or did/are we find ways of obtaining these toys at under RRP (e.g. early pre-order, getting the cheaper Hasbro version etc.)?

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    I was told paint on plastic is no different with paint on metal. I now fully disagree that theory as I find there is a difference especially how it appears.
    No there isn't. If it's painted properly you can't tell the difference.

Go look at your car. Can you see the difference between the steel body/doors and the plastic front and rear bumpers/spoilers? Because I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    I be amazed if TT has decided not to show gun mode on their box for Megatron .
    Ofcourse they'll put the gun mode on the box. But customs X-ray scanners can't see pitied on boxes.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    And I don't know if it's necessary to "reboot" an MP character each time new innovations are made, because then wouldn't we be expecting TakaraTOMY to be forever pumping out new MP Convoys, Megatrons etc. rather than focusing on releasing MPs of G1 characters who have yet to have any? (e.g. Meister, Hound, Sunstreaker, Trailbreaker, Hoist, Cliffjumper, Brawn, Huffer, Gears, Windcharger, Skids, Skyfire etc.?)
    They aren't already? How many Convoy repaints have they released already?

like I said in the other thread you made, I think there will always be a version of Optimus/Convoy, Starscream etc readily available to people for new fans who only just started collecting MP's, and Optimus, Starscream etc are like the gateway characters to MP collecting.

So I'm pretty sure Taktom will be re-releasing or remaking Optimus till the line ends, on the upside though, re-releasing Optimus, Starscream and Soundwave recently suggests they have no plans to re-make them in the immediate future.

I feel like show-accuracy is a word irrelevant now. Sure MP10 is the most show accurate Optimus Prime we've had, but if I put it next to say Shockwave or Ironhide, they look aesthetically different. The biggest difference if you ask me? Plain surface vs detailed surface.

Before Kobayashi took over, Hasui would fill all the big robot surface areas with mechanical details. Prime's waist, Datsun brother's shoulders and Bumblebee's forearms are but a few examples. Now you look at Shockwave, Ironhide and Inferno, with huge thigh/leg/forearm areas with minimum detailing, which is to re-create the minimalist approach to drawing the characters in the cartoon.

I reserve the word "dated" to describe the Hasui era figures, as many people pointed out engineering wise there's arguably very little that can be improved on. It's just that they don't fit in with the Kobayashi figures that well.

That's exactly my thoughts which is why I believe Despotron is very popular he fit's better aesthetically with MP10 then MP36

Quote Originally Posted by Nevac View Post
    That's exactly my thoughts which is why I believe Despotron is very popular he fit's better aesthetically with MP10 then MP36
    Beyond that even, if he's made by Maketoys it's likely he's just a great toy period. The official one will likely out toon him but not outclass him.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Sometimes I feel paint exists to be damaged. Currently my Prowl's front wheel tread is scraping away at the black paint behind his shoulders.

At the same time great scything windows do their best to scar Ratchet's roof every time he transforms. Oddly Ironhide doesn't suffer this. I think the windows are afraid.

Paint seems to be one of those things you need to be strategic about. Paint adds consistency to a surface. If you can get consistency without it that is probably a good thing. When I look at Wheeljack there are so many places where scratching would be so easily done I can understand why he lacks paint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    No there isn't. If it's painted properly you can't tell the difference.

Go look at your car. Can you see the difference between the steel body/doors and the plastic front and rear bumpers/spoilers? Because I can't.

Ofcourse they'll put the gun mode on the box. But customs X-ray scanners can't see pitied on boxes.
    I can tell unfortunately, granted good paint can really do well but the same paint in metal has a different gloss to it. Sadly for toys they are never that high standards. Even on Willis fan toys I could tell which is on what material .

Mp Tracks and binaltech tracks blue different day and night.

As for fitting, you just need mp36 in silver. Problem solved.

Correction in Figure King No. 226.

According to Loopaza's translation:

There is also a notice that the last month coverage about MP36 Megtron have some error. The Fusion Cannon DO NOT have any light gimmick but sounds only. There is 3 patteren and about 9 different type of sound effect with the Fusion Cannon including transforming sounds, the class speech lines and the Fusion Cannon sounds etc.

Oh man. If they do a good TFTM sound capture of his fusion cannon, I'm just gonna sit there pushing that button all day
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain