Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: JP Legends + Other Translations by me.

bowspearer Guest

Legends Hotrod Plz

Next Translation done, being Hardhead (mainly because I was kinda half-way through it in the first place).

https://tetstoys.blogspot.jp/2017/12...hard-head.html

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Legends Hotrod Plz
    Wow, I thought I set up to get notifications to this thread, but nothing has come thru,so apologies for late reply.

I've started working on Twincast because someone emailed one to me. Once that's done, since you requested Bsp, I'll do Hotrod Howzat sound?

Getting there... Getting there...

Currently still working on Blaster's comic ATM. The pack in comics take a bit off time to do, so as a quick test I gave one of the online ones on TT's webpage a crack.

Luckily the translation as such didn't take long at all.

Then the guy who helps me proof read them suggests I mirror the comics fir L-R reading. So I gave that a try. Worked pretty well and was a slight but not too major hassle. Definitely not going to do it on all of them though.

Enough blab. Here's the very first issue.
    Rattraps Introduction

Other is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I would highly recommend not flipping the pages from here on, the act of flipping manga for the purposes of localisation is long dead for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Other View Post
    I would highly recommend not flipping the pages from here on, the act of flipping manga for the purposes of localisation is long dead for a reason.
    Not being an avid reader of translated manga, I was unaware. Could you enlighten me as to the reason?

Other is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Not being an avid reader of translated manga, I was unaware. Could you enlighten me as to the reason?
    Well leaving aside artistic intent, it can introduce introduce errors in continuity and logic(people driving on the wrong side of the road in the wrong side of the car, casts becoming majority lefties, characters referring to things in a direction opposite to what the page now shows that can become hard to localise away, characters wearing clothing in ways that would be a sign they're a ghost , etc) there's the additional workload it introduces for dealing with things like signage(ends up mirrored and needs additional editing, you had to fix a few cases of that yourself by the look of things and I'm sure added more time to spent on the job than you'd like) and also mirrored art brings to light errors in art. It's actually quite an old well established technique for artists to view their art in a mirror or flipped over onto a lightbox or window to inspect it for less obvious problems that would be unnoticed otherwise because of the way our brains read images.
    For the simpler vertically orientated black and white webcomics it's not going to be a big deal to fix several of those issues, though over time the amount of extra time you'll need to spend could add up quite a bit)but for the larger comics quite a few of the above will be an issue, which brings us to our last point, consistency. If you're not going to flip the large comics, don't flip the small ones, you shouldn't be leaving readers guessing which orientation they should be using for each comic.
    Basically flipping manga adds a bunch of unnecessary headaches and timesinks you can avoid by keeping it simple and just leaving the art as is.

Personally I prefer the reversed, but its entirely a matter of preference.
    One thing that is helpful (reversed or original) are little arrows to indicate the reading direction. If you're not a regular manga reader (or like me, just get directions easily confused) it can be hard to follow some of the Takara Legends ones.

But you're awesome just for doing the translation mate, and making it available. Do it any way you see fit
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    But you're awesome just for doing the translation mate, and making it available. Do it any way you see fit
    Yes, Yes I am. Thank you for acknowledging it

And because of that, here is a delightful translation of Blaster's comic

https://tetstoys.blogspot.jp/2018/02...anslation.html

An entertaining read. There's something "special" about these Japanese stories. Silly, but fun, and so much easier to follow from the translations with arrows.
    Thanks!
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!