Released here - Yes (NOV 16)
    Approximate Retail Price - $8
    Approximate Size – 4.5cm
    Allegiance – Decepticon
    Alt-mode – Pickup Truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Opening Mouth
    Main Colours – Lime Green, Black
    Main Accessories – None

It's quite rare for a transformer figure to show up at retail before it gets an official reveal
    Nowadays it's even rarer for them to hit retail without getting leaked

And yet, here we are.

Wave 1 of the Combiner Force subline imprint of RiD legions has shown up at retail in Australia

This wave consists of four figures.
    Grimlock, Optimus Prime, Starscream and Springload.
    Grimlock and Optimus are the same figures as their previous releases whilst Starscream and Springload are brand new moulds

Here, we'll be looking at Springload.

PRIASE DORADUS!!
    The paranoid Amphiboid, Springload has made a handful of appearances in the cartoon over the first two seasons. and his fate was left unclear at the end of season 2 since he was oddly absent from the season finale. a treasure hunter, obsessed with finding the fabled city of Doradus. Springload has a ... loose grip on reality at the best of times. and will attack anyone who gets in the way of his search for the fabled city.

up until now, Springload has only had 1 toy released in the RiD toyline, a One-Step changer from right before the "minicon weaponizer" subline imprint. now it's finally time for a more complex figure.

ROBOT MODE

Springload's body is rather, untraditional, in that he pretty much looks like a mechanical frog. which the designers managed to replicate here remarkably well. whereas the One-Step figure was much flatter and wider, particularly in the head. Legion Springload looks MUCH more faithful to his show mode. even having tiny fake wheels molded onto his shoulder kibble to replicate the placement of his wheels on the show model.

Springload's front legs are long, very long. whilst his back legs are much shorter and are molded in a more frog like posture. like the fake wheels on his shoulders, springload also has fake wheels to act as his back feet to mimic the show model as well. the best part of Springload's Mould is definitely his face, it's shaped very accurately to his show model, with large eyes, angy eyebrows, and lots of pointy teeth in his mouth.

The only downside to Springload's robot mode is that he is VERY hollow underneath. but for a Legion class figure, its understandable and not as big an issue.
    another slight downside is that even by legion standards, Springload is tiny. he is really really tiny.

in terms of his Colour scheme, Springload is very eye catching. molded mostly in a bright lime green colour with some black plastic on the wheels at the back of his body.

to compliment this very froggy colour, Springload has some cyan paint on his front legs, and the roof of his vehicle mode, which sits just behind his head in robot mod. his front windscreen, side windows and fake wheels, are all painted black, and his eyebrows are painted dark blue which works GREAT for the eyebrows. especially with the red paint of his eyes. Springload's lower back/ vehicle mode hood is painted a darker shade of green, and finally his teeth on both his top and bottom jaw are painted white.

all in all this is a great colour scheme. although when just taking a quick look at him, the blues and greens all sort of blend into each other.

Springload also of course features a sticker for the RiD app on his back/ car roof (Note: Combiner Force toys aren't unlocked when scanned into the app, instead they give a ticket to use with Cryostase to unlock a random character in the game - I got Anvil)

POSEABILITY

For Poseablility Springload is pretty impressive for a legion. having hinges at his back hips to rotate his back legs forward and backward for jumping poses. Springload's front legs are even more Poseable, being able to rotate at the sides of his torso/vehicle mode and having hinges at the elbows. you can also rotate the side panels of his robot mode with the arms attacked to them out as well. but this is more for transformation. and finally, Springloads lower jaw can open and close for Doradus shouting action!! (sadly no tongue in his mouth, although there is a slight notch moulded into his lower jaw, so perhaps a shapeways tongue may come someday.

TRANSFORMATION

Springload's transformation is simple, but effective.
    1: fold his lower jaw back and into the hollow cavity under his body
    2: fold the side panels the arms are attacked to around and cover (most of) Springload's face and form the back of his vehicle mode
    3: fold the front robot legs up into the underside of the vehicle mode
    4: Bring the back legs down slightly
    5: grabbing the hips, rotate them out and around so the legs are now on the inside and the real wheels are now revealed and on the outside.
    6: fold the back legs up and into the underside of the body.

VEHICLE MODE

Springload's vehicle mode is a triumph, unlike his previous One-Step release, which changed his vehicle mode into some sort of muscle car. this new Legion class Springload manages to give him a Pickup Truck alt-mode closer to his show model.

there are however a few issues with the vehicle mode.
    first and formost. Springload's robot mode face is visible in the back up his vehicle mode, in the truck bed. although really, springload being paranoid enough that he needs to be constantly looking behind him while driving sounds like something he would do.

another slight issue is the black hingest under his side windows look a little out of place, similar to the Hasbro version of Warrior Thunderhoof.
    and another issue is that the front grill of the vehicle mode is only painted on the very top of it. the rest being unpainted black plastic.

Despite these issues its a charming little vehicle mode that still looks more accurate than the one-step.
    He also rolls quite well

SIZE COMPARISON

SPRINGLOAD COMPARISON
    Hasbro Legion vs Takara One-Step

FINAL THOUGHTS

Legion Springload is easily the better of the two new moulds released in this wave. and only some of that is my personal bias (Springload is one of my favourite decepticons in RiD2015) he may be really really small. but hes a great little legion figure.

Overal I'd rate him an A-
    so close to being the perfect legion Springload and dethroning Fixit as the best legion in this toyline, if it weren't for a few minor issues with his vehicle mode.

Despite that I'd say he is Definitely worth picking up once he hits mass retail. as long as you think you are worthy~

Good froggy
    Last edited by Firestorm; 5th November 2016 at 10:50 PM.

Looking forward to some pics. I'm intrigued but the toy is so new there doesn't seem to be photos anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Looking forward to some pics. I'm intrigued but the toy is so new there doesn't seem to be photos anywhere
    Someone posted photo galleries and video overviews for both figures on Thursday and Friday.

Good one! I tried three stores today (that I was passing anyway) but yet to find it.

I've updated the first post now with pictures anyway.

Megatran Guest

Thumbs up

Fantastic review Firestorm. Thoroughly enjoyed the write up & pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    I've updated the first post now with pictures anyway.
    Great! They show off the toy very well

Grabbed him yesterday and he's a lot of fun; kinda strange to have a toy with 4 real wheels and 4 moulded ones though :P

Overall a good toy, worth it!

If Hasbro makes this frog deluxe size then it'll be worthy of purchase without a second thought.

FatalityPitt Guest

Man, I don't follow the show, and I said in another thread I'd buy the Starscream, but if I had to choose between this guy and 'Screamer, I'd get this guy. The vehicle mode looks pretty average, but the beast mode is fiendishly cute! Also, I'm a fan of beast modes with jaw articulation. Will buy if I see