Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware and building thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Reviews of the HP all in ones were fairly poor but the price was okay
    I can't recommend HP products these days to non-techy people. They have a bad habit of never updating the Intel security flaws in their PCs.

I asked this on the "Console Gaming" thread and was told it would be better here so:
    Does anyone on here do any of the iRacing series or get involved in casual racing using iRacing sim? I have been watching the 2 rounds of the V8 series and have been astounded by the graphics driving experience etc. Does it take a lot of money to get into or is it something pretty easily accessible?
    I have a desktop PC with speakers etc, not sure if it is capable of running iRacing or not though. I also have a Logitech G920 XBox One wheel setup which can connect to the PC.
    Is it ok for a casual gamer that likes to race from time to time or is it best to invest alot of time into it? Do you need to be racing against other sim drivers or can you just run around the tracks for your own experience?

Ok, well to start it helps to know what hardware you have. So CPU, motherboard, GPU and memory (RAM). Is it an off the shelf system (ie Dell, HP) or a custom system? Also what monitor do you have (brand and model number please)? Since you have a G920 that means there's one less thing you have to buy.

If you don't know what parts you have look in dxdiag, it will tell you.

Yeah it is an off the shelf Dell system so no custom jobby with my unit. My monitor is a Samsung 24" that is at least 7yrs old.
    I did look at the website yesterday and saw that it runs a program through your computer that checks your system and advises you if all is ok or needs to be changed or upgraded etc. I haven't run that yet as i also wanted to check on the casual racing of the iRacing sim and see if it is worth the time considering i am only a casual gamer.

Pretty chuffed with myself today. Managed to fix my old Asus ROG G53 gaming laptop that my son now uses for school at home. Yesterday it fell from his table and the screen wasn't working. After watching some YouTube videos and speaking with my brother-in-law I disassembled it all and reseated the cables and the RAM. Once I put it all back together it all worked again! In fact there was a lot of dust in there and after cleaning it seems to be running quicker.

Considering I'd never pulled a laptop apart before and was expecting to have to buy a new one I'm pretty happy!

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Pretty chuffed with myself today. Managed to fix my old Asus ROG G53 gaming laptop that my son now uses for school at home. Yesterday it fell from his table and the screen wasn't working. After watching some YouTube videos and speaking with my brother-in-law I disassembled it all and reseated the cables and the RAM. Once I put it all back together it all worked again! In fact there was a lot of dust in there and after cleaning it seems to be running quicker.

Considering I'd never pulled a laptop apart before and was expecting to have to buy a new one I'm pretty happy!
    Unless a laptop is made by Apple or Microsoft they are generally fairly easy to take apart and service. I'm actually thinking about pulling my monitor apart and servicing it. G-Sync Ultimate monitors have a fan in them and my monitor's fan is getting rather loud so it might be time to clean out the dust bunnies.

Well done mate.

Tried to do an oil & filter change on my car today. Looked easy enough on you tube. Removed the undercarriage cover. Wrenched open the oil sump plug. Then the oil filter cartridge housing wouldnt budge using the oil filter wrench.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicran View Post
    Well done mate.

Tried to do an oil & filter change on my car today. Looked easy enough on you tube. Removed the undercarriage cover. Wrenched open the oil sump plug. Then the oil filter cartridge housing wouldnt budge using the oil filter wrench.
    Cheers mate. Well done for giving it a go! Not something I've ever done. Did you try googling some trick for dislodging it?

Nice work, I would also require the threat of replacement before I had the guts to open and fiddle with a laptop.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Cheers mate. Well done for giving it a go! Not something I've ever done. Did you try googling some trick for dislodging it?
    I did one better. Called RACV. Guy came & helped out. And changed a tyre too for good measure.