Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Hardware and building thread

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    Nice work, I would also require the threat of replacement before I had the guts to open and fiddle with a laptop.
    Cheers mate, I know you'd be a lot handier than me given your line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicran View Post
    I did one better. Called RACV. Guy came & helped out. And changed a tyre too for good measure.
    Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Cheers mate, I know you'd be a lot handier than me given your line of work.
    that's definitely debateable
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Default getting back on the PC Horse.

OK, so, after more than a year without a PC, i've decided to hop back in the arena. The laptop I'm writing this on just doesn't cut it for working from home.

I want a decent fast machine that will last a long time, the last one lasted nearly a decade. I will use it for the general internetting, office software, hopefully some fairly high range CAD and also hopefully for some gaming, though the gaming might not be particularly high end. I will also be re-ripping my entire CD collection. I'm also considering putting together a NAS box to keep media on and share with the smart TV etc. I'm a big fan of good sound so I would like a board with decent audio, not that there are many out there these days that don't.

so far I'm looking at the following: (I've been using PC Part Picker as a filter and general idea of prices for stuff, I'll later refine my prices with Static Ice)

Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (I realise there is 10th Gen stuff out there, and it's not much different in price but this processor has great clock speeds which tend to be better for CAD and gaming. )
    Noctua NH-D9L 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler (Noctua are the best, and this cooler isn't super expensive, has great stats for noise and energy dissipation)
    Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (this board has great reviews but I'm wondering if it's a bit over powered for what I need)
    G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL14 Memory (the chipset doesn't support 4 lanes, just 2 so it's better to get 2 sticks of 16 than 4 sticks of 8, this set is the cheapest set I could see with this low a latency. )
    ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (a decent drive, Decent per $ data volume, might swap out for a single TB. considering adding a multi TB hybrid or platter drive to hold data. )
    EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card (seems to be a good sweet spot, price for power and should be competetive for years.
    Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case ( I'm a fan of the filtering options on this, it's apparent quietness and it's proven popular for a long time)
    Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ( to support my old fashioned CD fetish)
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

I haven't booked in a power supply yet, considering keeping the Silver standard 850W unit from my old machine. It does have a lifetime warranty if that's worth anything.
    Might also keep the DVD burner
    Might also keep the functional hard drives. (traditional)
    Might also keep the case fans (pretty decent)
    I am pretty sure my old i7 cooler (Noctua) won't fit a 9th Gen i7, I haven't looked in to it yet, just an assumption.
    the MOBO, RAM, Video Card and Primary Hard drive are all very well dated and the HDD is failing.

I'm not convinced that Ryzen is worth worrying about, it supports M.2 NVMe with PCIe 4 but the real world performance difference doesn't seem to be user noticeable, processor speed against the i7 above isn't as high, therefore not as good supporting CAD or other sequential software. I've also heard Ryzen is less stable.

Thoughts, recommendations are welcomed, I might be a day or two responding. am I shooting too high, should I just be getting an i5 with lower spec everything and saving a grand?

Your build looks fine and since you are doing CAD I wouldn't recommend downgrading to an i5.

For the PSU I'd recommend you look at the PSU tier list and get something from the A tier. Seasonic makes probably the best PSUs on the market and they also make many of Corsair's PSU's for them. You should never cheap out on a PSU as a bad PSU can destroy your other components either quickly or slowly over time.

Also whoever told you AMD is unstable is full of it. I think people that have problems with an AMD based system after switching from Intel are very quick to blame AMD. In reality, it's almost always a motherboard issue not an "AMD" issue. You can have the exact same problems on Intel if you buy a bad motherboard. Also, I don't know if by CAD you mean Solidworks of Autocad but Ryzen and Intel trade blows in Solidworks perf and Autocad experts seem to recommend Ryzen over Intel so there's no reason not to go AMD for CAD. Ryzen offers more cores and threads for less money. Also just because Intel has a higher clock speed that doesn't mean it performs better as AMD has much higher instructions per clock. I'm not saying you should buy Ryzen as you seem rather set on Intel, but just be aware in reality there's no reason not to go AMD. Just want to dispel the misconception.

Thanks for the imput Deltaprime, much appreciated.

So, in case anyone was thinking about buying a GPU in the coming days, DON'T. Nvidia's 30 series of cards is coming out in a matter of weeks and Nvidia are claiming the 3070 will outperform the 2080 Ti at only $800 AUD. For reference most 2080 Tis cost over $2000.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

So, aside from me is anyone upgrading their CPU or GPU with all the cool new stuff coming out? I'm personally going for a Ryzen 5900X and Radeon 6800 XT.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    So, aside from me is anyone upgrading their CPU or GPU with all the cool new stuff coming out? I'm personally going for a Ryzen 5900X and Radeon 6800 XT.
    Luckily my PC is just within spec (apart from RAM - which I have coming) for Cyberpunk, so I decided against upgrading too much. Its the only game I'm really holding out for recently. I wouldn't mind doing a new build but I'm too lazy to reinstall everything.

Figured Id try here for some help. I got a computer built for me recently (that doesnt have a disk drive) and went to hook up my monitor today.
    Heres the issue
    >need to install monitor software (disk)
    >need to install disk drive software to use disk drive (disk)
    >cant do either because i need one to do the other

Anyone able to help

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxius._ View Post
    Figured Id try here for some help. I got a computer built for me recently (that doesnt have a disk drive) and went to hook up my monitor today.
    Heres the issue
    >need to install monitor software (disk)
    >need to install disk drive software to use disk drive (disk)
    >cant do either because i need one to do the other

Anyone able to help
    Can you google to see if there is a downloadable version of the monitor software or disk drive software that you can use? The other way is if you still have an old PC that has a disk drive, you can put the disk into that and create a iso copy (there are plenty of legit free software that does this) that you can stick onto a usb, plug it into your new PC, mount it and it'll act as if you have used the disc.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"