Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Default Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

The title has been officially rolled out so Im claiming ownership of this thread.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    The title has been officially rolled out so Im claiming ownership of this thread.
    Lol.

Just saw an interview with Mark Hamill asking for his comments on the name. Naturally he was very cautious to ensure that he gave nothing away. Video found here.

Not sure if I like the name. It goes back to the notion that there is only one Jedi remaining and that is Luke who is the last (my interpretation). What about other Jedi? We know a few escaped the purge and even some took up apprentices (ie Star Wars Rebels) so why is Luke (or perhaps it is Rey) the last?

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    Not sure if I like the name. It goes back to the notion that there is only one Jedi remaining and that is Luke who is the last (my interpretation). What about other Jedi? We know a few escaped the purge and even some took up apprentices (ie Star Wars Rebels) so why is Luke (or perhaps it is Rey) the last?
    The original trilogy implied that none of the Jedi had survived the purge. Ignoring expanded canon from books, comics, TV shows etc. and looking purely at the cinematic continuity, the movies tell us that none of the Jedi survived the purge, and that the Skywalker twins were the last hope for the Jedi.

"Now the Jedi are all but extinct." - Obi-Wan Kenobi (A New Hope)
    "Luke... when gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be." - Yoda (Return of the Jedi)
    "He was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice, turned against him, destroyed it all." - Han Solo (The Force Awakens)

It also makes the stakes far higher... it explains why both sides invested so many resources and time to search for Luke, as he was literally the last of the Jedi. Neither side did a sweep to find any more surviving Jedi, just Luke.

This is why I've actually come to prefer the new rebooted cinematic continuity that Rogue One established where the theft of the Death Star plans and beginnings of the Rebellion had nothing to do with any Jedi or Sith (beyond Vader) - no inquisitors, no Kyle Katarn, no Galen Marek etc. It also helps to reinforce the idea that Force sensitive beings are exceptionally rare in the universe. Even at the height of the Jedi Order there were only 10,000 odd Jedi (in a galactic population of gazillions). The Republic had to build a Clone army because the rarity of Force sensitives meant that there was no way that Jedi could fight a war on their own; as Qui Gon Jinn said, "We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers." And characters like Chirrut Imwe and Maz Kanata showed us that not just any Force sensitive being could become Jedi, you had to be exceptionally Force sensitive. Chirrut and Maz had lower levels of Force affinity, but not enough to be trained as Jedi. Think of the idea of finding a Force sensitive as being akin to finding a non-Caucasian person with naturally red hair. It does happen, but it's incredibly rare (considering that only 2-6% of people of north-western European ancestry have red hair, you can imagine how much rarer it must be in other ethnicities). And if there were some horrible government that decided to commit genocide against non-Caucasian gingers...

We all know that the Jedi were based on the Samurai, and at their height the Samurai only comprised 10% of the population of feudal Japan. Finding anyone with Samurai ancestry today is rare... finding someone with pure Samurai ancestry -- I've never come across such a person (meeting someone with partial Samurai ancestry is exciting enough ).

So yeah, I personally like the title as I feel that it's more inline with the pure cinematic universe's take on the Jedi, ignoring anything from outside the films. I know that a lot of the extra material like Rebels show are officially sanctioned canon, but I'm just looking at the continuity that the general public would be more familiar with.

It may just be a title and not intended to be literal canonical truth. Rogue One showed that Rebels is very much cinematic canon. We saw the hammer head corvettes that Leia 'liberated' for the rebels in the Rogue One final battle along with the Ghost and Chopper at Yavin.

It's being pointed out a lot online that the word Jedi can be used as a plural, so "The Last Jedi" doesn't actually mean there's only one (the way that "The Last of the Jedi" might).

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    It may just be a title and not intended to be literal canonical truth. Rogue One showed that Rebels is very much cinematic canon. We saw the hammer head corvettes that Leia 'liberated' for the rebels in the Rogue One final battle along with the Ghost and Chopper at Yavin.
    Don't forget that they actually had a louder speaker on Yavin IV asking General Syndulla (is Hera is around from Rebels and has a promotion!) to report in.

I just tend to think that given the likes of Kanan, Ezra and Ahsoka being around in Rebels, there must be other Jedi around as well.

I always took Yoda's words to mean that Luke was the only one who could stop Vadar because he was Vadar's son and he could convince Anakin to bring balance back to the Force.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    It's being pointed out a lot online that the word Jedi can be used as a plural, so "The Last Jedi" doesn't actually mean there's only one (the way that "The Last of the Jedi" might).
    Solid point. My gut feeling though is that it will be Luke training Rey and Luke will fight Kylo and go out Obi-Wan style, making Rey "the last Jedi".

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I'm with this. ^

Nute Gunray: And the Jedi?
    Darth Sidious: The Chancellor should never have brought them into this. Kill them immediately!

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Or it can simply mean Skywalker dies, new jedi is brought in this episode.
    Regardless, just watch it lol.

Megatran Guest

The movie title is a flagrant plagiarism to this year's TF movie: The Last Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    , no Kyle Katarn