Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Adventures in Casting

I've never cast before but have you played around with vents in the mold to deal with voids and air bubbles? I imagine it'd be a pain to clean them out if you're reusing the mold but you'd have less work to do on the molded piece.
    Any figure that comes with swords demands wrist articulation.

I've had that problem with I cured resin before and the only thing you can do is clean it out and wash it so it doesn't affect future pours.

Thread necromancy!

I’ve continued to play with resin casting (as has been seen in numerous customs since 2017). I’m going to do a live video on my Facebook page this evening (Saturday 10/8/19) at 8:30pm or thereabouts. It will be found at facebook.com/MsToyCustoms, and will be posted there afterwards if you can’t/don’t want to tune in live.

I’ll have a friend with me, so it won’t just be me droning on.

If you do tune in, make sure to say “hi!”.
    Last edited by M-bot; 10th August 2019 at 04:45 PM.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Found some stuff called composi-mold in an art supply store, it requires the material to be heated and poured over what you want to make into a mould, so I'm testing it on some junker pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Found some stuff called composi-mold in an art supply store, it requires the material to be heated and poured over what you want to make into a mould, so I'm testing it on some junker pieces.
    Okay so depending on what volume of this product you bought (I bought the smallest quantity) you heat the solid in the microwave for a minute and 20 seconds, smaller quantities require less time obviously, it has a slightly citrus smell and it's food-safe if that matters to anyone. You can also buy a spray called bubble buster, it's supposed to be sprayed onto the piece that you're going to make a mould of and it stops bubbles forming on the part you're moulding.

I made a mould of POTP Blot's head, the pouring of hot liquid over didn't warp or damage it but I wouldn't use this stuff to create a mould of door panels or anything that is a thin plastic and could be warped by hot liquid.