Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Transformers Definitive G1 (comic) Collection

Default UK Transformers Definitive G1 (comic) Collection

Those lucky fans in the UK have an opportunity to be the first in the world to own colourised UK comic issues from the UK run of the Original Marvel
    series of comics (issues #214-289)... and unfortunately for us in Australia, this is not likely to be released here, or be easy to obtain later.
    (although, I think IDW would publish it eventually, hopefully on it's own so that we aren't forced to (re)buy other stories we already own)

Have you seen at the newsagents, or a commercial on TV, an ongoing weekly/fortnightly/monthly series of magazines (or model parts) that builds
    up to a complete set after a few years? (with the offer of the first part being REALLY cheap, but then each following issue is over-priced, costing a LOT over the life of the series)

Well, in the UK, a company called Hatchette that does those sorts of ongoing newsagent and subscription series, has started doing one for
    Transformers (from January), but I only just found out about it today.
    Their publication is set to be 80 volumes, with one each fortnight... which means three years until the set is complete... IF the publications aren't
    cancelled later when subscriptions/purchases drop below a minimum amount.
    The series is said to be covering all of the original US and UK Marvel comics, along with the concluding Regeneration comic, plus, the *printed*
    Dreamwave issues, and all of the IDW comics that are part of their own Gen1 Universe (up until issues printed in 2016).
    It looks like it might exclude the original Gen2 comics, and the GIJoe crossovers... and there isn't a mention of the 1986 Movie adaptation (both
    Marvel and IDW versions), but if they are featuring the UK Gen1 stories, they would need to include the 1986 movie adaptation, just for them to make sense.
    In addition to reprints and colourisations, there are bonus contents and new artwork on the covers.

Each volume is sold in a mostly random order, but the first ten so far are all in the first half of the series (under Volume 40), so they are just the
    Original Series Marvel and first two years of IDW's 12 years (yes, it's been 12 years since they started printing TFs comics).
    That means half of the set will be IDW reprints.

The first few issues have free gifts for subscribers, and get posted out once a month (two issues per shipment). The first issue was £2, and the
    second issue was £7... while each remaining issue is £10.
    That's about £800 for the full set over 3 years, which is almost AU$1400.

That's a lot of money, but with each spine having part of a larger image, the full collection will look spectacular on the bookshelf (if you have one long enough for them all)...

The individual issues look like this...

You can read more about this series here...

Simon Furman's blog - part 1

Simon Furman's blog - part 2

Simon Furman's blog - part 3 (with a sample image of recoloured UK comic art)

Hatchette's page for the Definitive Transformers Collection, for people in the UK to order selected issues.

The official website for the Transformers Collection, showing the subscription gifts (which are probably moot now, unless they still take
    subscriptions and people play catchup with the past issues).

TFwiki's page, for the contents of each volume (for anyone wanting to buy specific issues, like the colourised UK issues), and their release order.

TFW discussion topic, that notes when issues are released, or if there are any problems - apparently, Hatchette reprinted and gave out free the first
    volume, just because the number box on the spine was a different size to the rest. That's a big early loss, especially since it was a volume that is
    only 20% of the price of regular issues (already being sold at a loss).

I would love to get the UK recoloured stories (UK issues #214-289), but that will probably mean paying some hefty second-hand prices for just those issues.

Always dreamed of having matching Marvel US and UK volumes I would love that. Not having to swap from book to book for chronology would be nice too, which seems to be the case.

Oh well...

I am seriously considering using a UK reshipper. The free gifts were pretty nothing, but they start you from the first issue as they have a backlog. Launched some time ago, and subscribers were told that they were an initial trial. Did they continue to publish the remainder?

Just looked, only 8 were published. So I don't know if hatchette is continuing?
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    I am seriously considering using a UK reshipper
    I've looked myself at the forwarding options, assuming each weighs around 200-250g it would cost approximately £25-30 (or AU$44-52 as of posting) to post 4 or 5 issues from old blighty.
    So by my rough calculations each volume would cost at least AU$30 after postage (based off 4 issues weighing 1kg). Whether that's worthwhile or not I leave to others to decide, but as they would be AU$20 each if they were sold in newagents here (I'm basing this off similar publications from the same company that have seen our shores, like the marvel comic collections) one might be overpaying.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    Launched some time ago, and subscribers were told that they were an initial trial. Did they continue to publish the remainder?
    Judging by the comments on TFW it seems that is the case but I dont know for certain

I follow a few UK-based fans on Twitter so from what I've read there, yes it went from the initial trial to full release and they are still an ongoing thing.

Whenever I pass a local newsagent I pop in and check on the off chance that they have started to get a local releases. (It's all Star Wars Helmets collection at the moment though).

I'd like the coloured UK stories, and would buy the G1 Marvel stuff (and the DW stuff most likely) but don't need anything from IDW since there's already great hardcover versions of those.

I'm currently buying Marvel's Epic Collections - which are released by Marvel in just the same manner, book by book in random order to eventually build up to be a comprehensive run of a particular comic. I'm buying the X-books and have all that have been released to date: 4 Uncanny volumes, 3 Wolverine and 1 each of X-Factor, Excalibur, X-Force and New Mutants. If you don't mind reading things out of order, just want a full library eventually, it's not a bad model.

Default Vol 31 came out

For fun, I'd thought I'd have a go mapping out how the first 40 or so volumes might fill out. I got to a point where IDW went overboard and decided I'd stop there.

Some notes on what I've done:
    • I factored it at about 7 issues (US size) per volume
    • Bold items are known volumes.
    • I used publishing chronology which seems to be how they are going
    • It doesn't really leave much room for Annuals... Vicious Circle is included in a released volume (as it ends a story) but I'd think stories that set up stories (Altered Image, What's In A Name) should be included.
    • Volume 34 is too light on but I can't think what should go with it... even the DW MTMTE guidebooks being included are a bit of a stretch but filing those three books is not immediately clear to me. They may use the IDW Collection books as a guide?

First mapping attempt (Books #1-45)

Vol. 1: Power Play (Marvel US #1-4, 33-34, Marvel UK #13-17)
    Vol. 2: The New Order (Marvel UK #18-21, Mavel US #5-8, Marvel UK #29-32)
    Vol. 3: Crisis of Command (Marvel US #9-12, Marvel UK 41-44)
    Vol. 4: Dinobot Hunt (Marvel UK #45-50, Marvel UK #13-16)
    Vol. 5: Second Generation (Marvel UK 59-65, Marvel US#17-20, Marvel UK #74-77)
    Vol. 6: Target 2006 (Marvel UK #78-88, Marvel US #21-23)
    Vol. 7: Aftedeath (Marvel UK #93,97-104, Marvel US 24-26)
    Vol. 8: Wanted Galvatron Dead or Alive (Marvel US #27-28, Marvel UK #113-120, "Vicious Circle!")
    Vol. 9: Child's Play (Marvel US #29-32,35-37, Marvel UK #125, Action Force #23-27)
    Vol. 10: Trial By Fire (Headmasters #1-4, Marvel US #38-39, Marvel UK #130-132)
    Vol. 11: Legacy of Unicron (Marvel UK #133-138, #145-151)
    Vol. 12: Salvage (Marvel UK #160-161, Marvel US #40, Marvel UK #162-171)
    Vol. 13: Space Pirates (Marvel UK #172-173, Marvel US #41-42,44, Marvel UK 180-187)
    Vol. 14: Underbase Saga (Marvel UK 188-189, Marvel US #45-50)
    Vol. 15: Time Wars (Marvel UK 199-205, Marvel US #51-55)
    Vol. 16: Primal Scream (Marvel UK #198, #213-222, Marvel US #56-61)
    Vol. 17: Matrix Quest (Marvel UK #223-239, Marvel US #62-66)
    Vol. 18: Edge of Extinction (Marvel US #67-75)
    Vol. 19: Perchance to Dream (Marvel UK #240-260,Marvel US #76-77)
    Vol. 20: Exodus (Marvel UK #261-289, Marvel US #78-80)
    Vol. 21: Regeneration One (Regeneration One #80.5-85)
    Vol. 22: Natural Selection (Regeneration One #86-90)
    Vol. 23: Destiny (Regeneration One #91-94,0,95)
    Vol. 24: The War To End All Wars (Regeneration One #96-100)
    Vol. 25: Prime Directive (DW Generation One Vol 1 Preview,#1-6)
    Vol. 26: War and Peace (Generation One Vol 2 Preview, #1-6)
    Vol. 27: Black Sunshine (Generation One Vol 3, #0, 1-6)
    Vol. 28: Infestation (Generation One Vol 3, #7-10, 20th Anniversary Special)
    Vol. 29: The War Within (The War Within #1-6 and preview)
    Vol. 30: The Dark Ages (The War Within The Dark Ages #1-6)
    Vol. 31: The Iron Fist (Dreamwave GIJoe/Transformers #1-6)
    Vol. 32: Age of Wrath [size="1"](The War Within: The Age of Wrath #1-3, plus GIJoe/Transformers Divided Front 1)
    Vol. 33: Micromasters (Micromasters 1-4)
    Vol. 34: Megatron Origin (Megatron Origin #1-4)
    Vol. 35: Infiltration (Infiltration #0-6)
    Vol. 36: Stormbringer (Spotlight: Shockwave, Spotlight: Soundwave, Stormbringer #1-4, Spotlight: Nightbeat, Spotlight: Hot Rod)
    Vol. 37: Escalation (Spotlight: Sixshot, Spotlight: Ultra Magnus, Escalation #1-6)

Vol. 38: Devastation (Spotlight: Ramjet, Spotlight: Kup, Devastation #1-6)
    Vol. 39: Hearts of Steel (Hearts of Steel #1-4, Spotlight: Galvatron, Spotlight: Optimus Prime, Spotlight: Mirage)
    Vol. 40: Revelations (Spotlight: Blaster, Spotlight: Arcee, Spotlight: Wheelie, Spotlight: Grimlock, Reveltations #1-4)
    Vol. 41: Maximum Dinobots (Maximum Dinobots #1-5, Spotlight: Blurr, Spotlight: Jazz,)
    Vol. 42: All Hail Megatron Vol 1 (All Hail Megatron #1-6, Spotlight: Drift)
    Vol. 43: All Hail Megatron Vol 2 (All Hail Megatron #7-12, Spotlight: Cliffjumper)
    Vol. 44: Old Ways (All Hail Megatron #13-17, Spotlight: Prowl, Spotlight: Metroplex)
    Vol. 45: For All Mankind (Transformers #1-7)

Vol. 50 Heart of Darkness (Heart of Darkness #1-4)

Edit: Now that Vol 31 has come out, including a JOE crossover I've taken the MTMTE guidebooks out of my predicting mapping.
    Last edited by Paulbot; 19th May 2017 at 08:56 PM.

So it should be just be four volumes to chase up for the colourised UK issues (16, 17, 19, 20), and one has already been released.

There's speculation over wether or not the IDW Classic UK volumes will use the coloured versions or black and white versions. Some thinking the next volume's delays are due to waiting for the colouring to be completed. (And others arguing that they shouldn't be coloured for those books and reprinted accurate to how they were published.)

That's a good point. The Classics volumes probably should be their original format for the original feel of those stories... and they should sell the coloured versions on their own as a special edition which wwould give them an additional product to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Fist mapping attempt (Books #1-45)
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but why are the UK issue numbers all over the place, like why are they randomly inserted into the US order?
    I haven't looked into the UK comics at all so I'm pretty ignorant on them.
    I know I have asked similar questions on the comics before but I forgot to follow them up, I really should find those threads, but so is this the "correct" reading order for these?
    Also typo lol, fist mapping?

But yeah I'd be keen on collecting this set especially if it is the most comprehensive definitive version there is but the price...