View Poll Results: TF5 Last Knight Movie - worth watching?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the best one so far

6 8.96%
  • Yes, but not the best one

29 43.28%
  • No, it was disappointing

18 26.87%
  • I don't plan to see it

14 20.90%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review - TF5 The Last Knight

Here's my review:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Really I don't know what to say. It has it's awesome moments (it's definitely an improvement to AOE), but it's still filled with flaws. Like how did Galvatron become Megatron? Who is Canopy and why should I care about his death? Some of the robots just appear out of nowhere and aren't mentioned again. Heck even the production of the film is flawed. What's up with the Aspect Ratio? Also at times some of the Transformers look fake and even disappear in certain shots!

However I did like the film when it had it's awesome moments. And as mentioned an improvement from AOE (which imo felt empty). I would say it's my 3rd favorite of the series (Dark of the moon is 2nd and the '07 is 1st while ROTF is 4th and AOE is 5th)

5/10
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

Well, I finally saw this last night at Hoyts. I watched it with my partner who is doing her masters in Medieval history and so knows the Arthurian legends back to front. So when the movie opens with "England - Dark Ages" and baysplosions rock the battlefield, we both just cracked up.

Pretty much everyone in this thread has summed up all my thoughts on the good, bad and ugly. Overall the movie is on the same level (barely above if I want to be generous) as Age of Extinction. Nowhere near the awesomeness of the very first movie. I had seriously hoped that not having Ehren Kruger writing would improve the movie, but nope.

My partner did ask though: if the knight who passed on his talisman to Cade ended up dying, then does that mean Dragonstorm is missing a piece?

At the end of the movie Dragonstorm was missing 4 of the 12 knights that formed him at the start of the movie... one dies with Cade and Optimus killed 3 in Merlins tomb.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I didn't expect to do so but I enjoyed this movie. It wasn't something to dwell on the details but just turn your brain off and enjoy. It does make me reflect on the stupidity shown in some of the earlier movies, mainly with the human characters. It was much better in that regard. Still, I have enjoyed all the movies on a basic level and will keep watching them. I rate this in the top 3.

Quite enjoyed it, pretty sure I enjoyed more than AOE. Was half expecting to hear, or see, the Dude pop up somewhere. If people catch my drift lol.

Saw the movie for a second time today. I think I spent most of my attention looking for details and bits that weren't the primary focus of each scene... to look for anything I missed the first time.
    It actually made a lot less sense the second time around, as you know what is about to happen, so the absence of setting up or introductions of plot devices is a lot more obvious. And the things that didn't make sense the first time (especially certain characters), looked even more obvious and worse this time around.
    After this second viewing, I actually now rate this one worse than TF4 (to me). At least with TF4, I have been able to rewatch it a few times, and just fast-forward the few scenes that I don't like. I'm trying to think of a scene in TF5 that I would want to re-watch, compared to the previous four movies having segments and scenes that I like re-watching again and again.
    I still recommend fans seeing it once... even if you wait until it is free on TV.

The submarine bugged me, now that I was able to verify in a second viewing that it was supposed to be a Transformer, but then doesn't transform or show signs of sentience. I don't know what is worse, a redundant character who could be removed from the movie and not change the plot, or a necessary character who is underused.

And something I didn't pick up on with the first viewing that really makes no sense, is at the start of the movie when Merlin was trying to get the Knight's attention, he says that he knows about their world being destroyed and that he wants their help to prevent his from being destroyed. Well... that was in 484AD, and the Knight's ship looked to have been crashed many thousands of years before that... but Cybertron was intact during the Dark of the Moon.

And why 12 Knights? (which are obviously ancient because they betrayed Quintessa a long time ago)
    Is it just coincidence that is the same number as the ancient Primes in ROTF... and is it coincidence that Optimus and the Dinobots are Knights, but not the same as the 12 Cybertronian Knights who betrayed Quintessa.

It seems like there were a lot of cooks in the writers room, but no head chef to make sure that the recipe made sense in the end.

I had one more free movie coupon left, so I could've watched The Last Knight for a second time. But I decided to watch Spider-Man: Homecoming instead, and I stand by my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The submarine bugged me, now that I was able to verify in a second viewing that it was supposed to be a Transformer, but then doesn't transform or show signs of sentience. I don't know what is worse, a redundant character who could be removed from the movie and not change the plot, or a necessary character who is underused.
    Then the submarine's name should be Slamdance.

Better than AOE, but as Griffin said, we'll have to see how it stacks up in the rewatch department. Definitely not a cringy as the previous one, but just as many plot holes.
    There seemed to be way too much packed into it. When the writers were spit-balling ideas, instead of cutting some out, they must have decided to just use all of them.

Few things irked me:
    (this is not an exhaustive list)
    I felt Megatron was under-powered and under-used. And he seemed to disappear for a great chunk of time.
    I hated how some transformers never even transformed.
    Did that talisman contribute anything?
    What the hell is an ignition chamber and how was it playing a vital role?
    Humans/Autobots spent more time fighting drones in the abandoned town than the Decepticons, who gave up when they meet some resistance.

But at the time I enjoyed myself and don't feel that my $9 was wasted. Def a big screen action flick. Just make sure you turn your brain off.

On another note, I cant begin to tell you how excited I am at the prospect of getting:
    a submarine transformer
    a spitfire transformer (1 second of screen time qualifies, right?)
    a WW1 tank transformer
    and a Citroen DS transformer.

Course, I wont be holding my breath for these, but I can live in hope.
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

I watched it for the second time today. I gotta say I enjoy it right up until the spaceship thing starts rising above the ocean and then the whole thing just turns to crap. The last 30-45 minutes is just awful. I just don't understand why Cybertron is dragging its bits all over Earth or why Cybertron even has grass and rolling hills growing on it. The whole thing seemed to just end without any real resolution.

I saw this last night, and was tempted part way to give up and go home, but stayed just so I knew what happened.

The film felt less like a movie and more like a series of set pieces linked by a tenuous thread.

The shame is that there was so much in it that could have been good, but was not given the time in the film to engage with it.

The script felt like it was trying to do too much, and could have been refined a lot more to drill down on what they wanted their core story to be and then remove the superfluous.

I want to give a more in depth critique, but my head just gets swamped with the cacophony of incongruities, from both a narrative and a filmmaking point of view, that it just feels like a storm of discontent.

The worst of the five in my opinion, which is said because there was a lot of individual things that I liked.