Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast

Thread: Your occupation?

OKay I work in the high stressfull and quite depressing Intensive Care Ward in one of the Big Hospitals here in NSW. We get all the shittiest patients (read: deathly sick) as a Registered Nurse. Had to undergo a short bridging course when I migrated here to update/augment my qualification and get registered here as an RN. At first it can be quite a depressing work area, but you get used to it. . Shiftwork though is shitty anyway you look at it. I used to work as an Occupational Health & Safety Nurse/ Corporate Nurse, Private Clinic Frontliner Nurse in Philippines for 10 years before going here. I dont even like Nursing in the first place, sigh. But its a stable job, it pays for everything, especially this expensive hobby. So I dont end up like my Sig Message hehehehe
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    OKay I work in the high stressfull and quite depressing Intensive Care Ward in one of the Big Hospitals here in NSW. We get all the shittiest patients (read: deathly sick) as a Registered Nurse. Had to undergo a short bridging course when I migrated here to update/augment my qualification and get registered here as an RN. At first it can be quite a depressing work area, but you get used to it. . Shiftwork though is shitty anyway you look at it. I used to work as an Occupational Health & Safety Nurse/ Corporate Nurse, Private Clinic Frontliner Nurse in Philippines for 10 years before going here. I dont even like Nursing in the first place, sigh. But its a stable job, it pays for everything, especially this expensive hobby. So I dont end up like my Sig Message hehehehe
    WOW That would be stressful too~! A friend of mine's mum is a nurse, I remember her doing all sorts of shifts through out the week - crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    ahh well actualy i did :P
    except it wasnt a mistake
    i didnt do vce see, i did the IB (wow that rhymed :P)
    and the boys campus of my school didnt offer it but the girls campus did, so i shipped myself off down the road for 2 years filled with women, who got very angry one a month for some odd reason. still, was fun
    You for real? Which school was that? I did IB myself and there are only very few schools that are qualified/permitted to teach it. I wish I had done IB at whatever school you went to. Oh man, heaven o heaven.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

tintern mate
    what subjects did you do?
    bet you were a 40+ student :P
    would like to hear why you chose it too, since ive spilled my guts

Quote Originally Posted by genechan View Post
    WOW That would be stressful too~! A friend of mine's mum is a nurse, I remember her doing all sorts of shifts through out the week - crazy!

Ahh yes and it doesnt help to lighten up if youve been assigned an unstable patient trying to go croak at 2 am .
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    tintern mate
    what subjects did you do?
    bet you were a 40+ student :P
    would like to hear why you chose it too, since ive spilled my guts
    Tintern? Urgh... not my first choice to be surrounded by girls for... shudder... but I would've lived. As I'm sure you would've. Oh man, you have had the year 11-12 of a lifetime. Colour me green!

I did English HL, Economics HL, History HL, Methods, Physics and Spanish. I have to say that in hindsight the best subject for me was Spanish b/c it's opened so many doors for me in life. I spent a good while working and living in Brazil courtesy of Spanish. Yes, Portuguese isn't the same but they're close enough to understand what's going on. When I got back, that Brazil experience changed a lot of things in life and allowed me to start collecting again.

Why did I choose IB? I actually wanted to go overseas actually. I'd travelled to the US and UK scouting schools, talking to administrators to get a feel. I really wanted to travel. At the end, the admissions dept at the University of Chicago said to me if I scored a mininmum 42, I was in w/ a 50% scholarship. I fell short at 41. My own fault really. I've always been rather complacent with my intelligence and ability (still am) and thought I couldn't fail. Well, I guess I did in the end and it taught me a thing or two. I was virtually untouchable for 2 years in high school b/c of my raw talent. Head of School caught me on many occassions just kicking footy or having a hit when I was supposed to be in class (as you know, we don't have spares like those in the VCE) and just played dumb. I pulled the marks, won the economic/maths/lit awards for the school, they didn't care. But in the end I was taught a very harsh lesson in humility. Talent and ability will only take you so far in life.

I dunno, I don't regret it. Sometimes I wonder what it would've been like but uni has been good to me here and that's how eventually I met my missus who've I've been with for 3 years now - longer than my 6 month average before that. I've gotten to enjoy a lot more years in Australia while travelling as well as had other amazing opportunities in the workforce whereas my principle reason for wanting to go to Chicago was for the prestige which would've been nice but ultimately maybe not made that big a difference as I would've always returned to Australia no matter what.

As for the matter of prestige and IB. It's there, Gok, I assure you. The VCE is inferior to the HSC but at the end of the day both of those are inferior to the IB. Recognition comes from being measured against the best in the world and being accepted to have achieved a level of quality that is global. You show your VCE or HSC to the US universities or the European ones, your odds of a call back are minimal. When I was visiting overseas universities, just the fact that I had a scholarship to study the IB meant I was treated very well and with great interest. I hadn't even started my IB at that point yet.

When I was interviewing for graduate work, you have no idea what an advantage it was b/c many people are fascinated when they interview you and its a great opener b/c it sets out the fact that you are a high achiever and someone who is willing to do the hard yards. Doing the IB makes a few statements about you that you don't have to say. That's the cold hard truth. If you did the VCE/HSC, you're just back with the rest of the pack. Of course, there are other defining features in a job interview process too but IB will always help you in terms of recognition especially at the screening stages.

The other aspect is that like Blackie was pointing out the IB gives you skills that the HSC/VCE never will. The VCE/HSC system is so centric around memorisation, exams and assessment tasks whereas IB is far more focused on learning, technique and skill sets. At the time I did IB, the opportunity to learn in an autonomously and explore issues for yourself taught me a lot about efficient studying and ways to frame things. It's been invaluable for me at uni b/c I've been able to be a bum for all of my uni life yet maintain marks that other people just freak out at. Yes, I'm a very able person but IB gave me a lot of the basic skills and mind set to help me be more efficient. Things like the Theory of Knowledge and the Extended Essays are exercises in spoon fed or repetitious learning; they force you to open your mind and look at how you manage things.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by genechan View Post
    <snip>

But as a career, I would love to study a TESOL course and go overseas *coughjapancough*
    Wishin' you lots of luck with that

I got my TESOL paper through ACU (only took me 1 semester) & the prac was much more fulfilling than my normal teaching ones...

I've had a go at teaching ESL to K-6, intensive-english Uni Students & recent adult migrants and I'd have to say I enjoy working with recent adult migrants the most (they really wanna be there). But once you find your niche, you'll just know...

All this nonsense about going to girls schools to do another type of high school certificate haha .. I come from a town with 2 schools to choose from (one was a private catholic school so there was no way I was going there so really, only 1 to choose from) and we were never told about any of this, obviously my school wasn't good enough haha... I only found out what IB was after looking it up just now

I completed an Arts Degree last year at La Trobe, took 2008 off. I tried getting a graduate job for next year but all my offers were rejected.

All of this year I was planning on taking a CELTA course around December but I now plan on taking post graduate studies in Hospitality Management next year. I've also tried applying for a few Advanced Hospitality Management certificates in the city for next year and I'm just waiting for interviews.

I currently work two jobs at Nando's and a Japanese Restaurant, still live with my parents.

work at woolworths started in deli in 92, then moved to the bakery in 98 and completed an apprenticeship and now i am tic in the produce department. so 16 1\2 years working in the same place.: