View Poll Results: Do you read/watch instructions first before you play with a new TF?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

17 42.50%
  • Only if the toy is expensive

1 2.50%
  • Only if the toy seems fragile

13 32.50%
  • Never; the discovery process is mine! Mine!

8 20.00%
  • I like Barbie

1 2.50%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do you read instructions first or not?

Things are tied? Much different to what i was expecting...
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by hotaru_oz View Post
    I tend to read the instructions first just to make sure I don't break anything, but for the more complex toy I look up a vid on the net (Binaltech Sideswipe I'm looking at you)
    BT-Grimlock's probably worse. When transforming from robot back to car, I was struggling for 30mins before i gave up and looked at the instructions (which i dont usually look at).

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

I bet you're referring to the shoulder/arm section... I thought my Wheeljack was busted before it clicked into place... (What a horrible transformation!)

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    BT-Grimlock's probably worse. When transforming from robot back to car, I was struggling for 30mins before i gave up and looked at the instructions (which i dont usually look at).
    Oh yes, that was my first ever concession of the modern transformers. Up to that point, no BT had frustrated me. Not one. I'd figured them all out and then there was Grimlock. The worst part was that the instructions barely helped. I eventually figured it out but then voila Wheeljack came along and I realised I forgot again. It was infuriating. Probably the worst one I've ever had to figure out and I still dread transforming him.

The only other one that comes to mind is TFM Ironhide. Robot mode's not hard, it's getting it back to alt mode that's a pain and I gave up and returned to my instructions but they were no help either till I perused Seibertron.com's galleries. Thank god for those.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Let's see a pic of your Barbies jgon2098.

Pretty much always, if only to check that I have all the parts I'm supposed to, that the toy is in good enough shape to transform via the official sequence, and to see if there are any minigimmicks I should know about.

After transforming it once according to the instructions, and making sure everything checks out, I put the instructions away and never refer to them again.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    I always check the instructions first, less chance of breakage.
    Yep. That's my reasoning too.

This is why I appreciate very much my Activators Bumblebee, no need for long instructions, just push the button viola!! instant bot hehehe. Vote in - read it when Im stuck while figuring it out mostly at first. BUT if its like MPs and Alts I dont skip on the instructions, as these guys are a bit more complex, not that the instructions for Alts are making it any clearer at times it makes it more confusing since there's no words describing what to pull where in the pics. LEGO instructions are FAR MORE useful actually.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Hasbro instructions are often useless but Takara instructions are better drawn and have text!* Why does Hasbro assume that we're illiterate?
    Most likely so they don't need to produce different versions for different markets (USA, Canada, Europe, can all use one).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    They had text in G1 instructions... the poorly drawn illustrations on Hasbro instructions don't help either.
    More annoying for me is the littany of mistransformed toys pictured on the packaging. I like to work it out for myself, using the pictures are reference when needed. It's hard to do this when you can't trust the picture...

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister