• Only if (something else)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Sunstreaker

Mine got delivered today. I think it looks stunning in car and bot mode. Pretty complicated and fiddly transformation at times. As always though I can't help but smile as I see things coming together after every fold and twist. I'm not sure if I will be doing it very often though.

The chrome looks fantastic but I think it might wear or mark pretty easily. I changed from super tuning crazy mode to regular car mode once. When I started transforming to robot mode, I noticed a mark on each side which kinda lines up with the dark grey pieces underneath. dammit.

Kinda annoying having it happen straight away but I remember some horror stories about Ironhide and Ratchet so maybe I can consider myself lucky? I don't think I will use 'regular' car mode much anyway.

I don't even remember Sunstreaker that much from the cartoon. I don't have a real nostalgic feeling for him. Since I like the MP Car Robots and Lamborghinis in particular I really wanted to get this one. It doesn't disappoint.

It may be a nitpick but I really think it should come with a detailed Lamborghini logo too.

Mine arrived today as well. I will agree the backpack is a bit tricky the first time you do it. Glad to finally have him in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It is true that much of the complexity comes from having the vehicle mode be able to transform from customised to standard Countach mode, as well as not having a split bonnet. The rumour I've heard is that this was to appease Lamborghini in order to use the vehicle licence for this toy. Apparently Lamborghini doesn't want their cars to have a split right down the middle of the bonnet (even AOE Lockdown and TLK Hot Rod leave the centre piece of their bonnets in tact), and apparently they wanted Sunstreaker to transform into a standard Lamborghini. So much of what we're seeing here seem to be compromises that TakaraTOMY made in order to make a G1-accurate Sunstreaker while fulfilling the requirements from Lamborghini.
    The rumour I read was that Lamborghini didn't want the logo split, not the bonnet, but in that case, TakaraTOMY could have just made the split slightly asymmetrical so the logo would be intact if they had to split the bonnet down the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    The rumour I read was that Lamborghini didn't want the logo split, not the bonnet, but in that case, TakaraTOMY could have just made the split slightly asymmetrical so the logo would be intact if they had to split the bonnet down the middle.
    Well neither the logo or the bonnet splits. Ugh. Maybe someone can paint one for me 😀

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    It may be a nitpick but I really think it should come with a detailed Lamborghini logo too.
    This struck me as a bit odd too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I'm more surprised that Lamborghini isn't OK with a splitting bonnet/logo (depending on which it really is), but is fine with an unpainted lambo logo.

Just dug mine out of the box the other day and it sure looks impressive. Haven't had a crack at Transforming him yet, as I think I will need to set aside a substantial amount of time to do so.

While I do like the looks of both modes, I also like the figure to be quick(ish) to Transform. Something tells me Sunstreaker won't be in that basket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Just dug mine out of the box the other day and it sure looks impressive. Haven't had a crack at Transforming him yet, as I think I will need to set aside a substantial amount of time to do so.

While I do like the looks of both modes, I also like the figure to be quick(ish) to Transform. Something tells me Sunstreaker won't be in that basket.
    It is certainly very tricky, yet still intuitive. I think it just takes practice.

Anyway, mine finally arrived today, so... PHOTOS!

Tuning vehicle mode from the front

Tuning vehicle mode from the rear

Surface-to-air weapon

Doors, bonnet and headlights opened

Standard Lamborghini mode from the front

Standard vehicle mode from the rear

With MP Sideswipe in vehicle mode

Robot mode

Pistol

Rifle (Flare Gun)

Gah! It's horrible! Get that silver thing outta there!

With MP Sideswipe in robot mode

Comparison with G1 Sunstreaker, robot mode

Comparison with G1 Sunstreaker, vehicle mode

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It is certainly very tricky, yet still intuitive. I think it just takes practice.

Pistol
    The lower part of of his inner shin is mis-transformed.
    I thought you read the instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    The lower part of of his inner shin is mis-transformed.
    Oops. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I thought you read the instructions?
    I did. I refer you to Step 21, particularly the last bit. As you can see, it explicitly states: 「クオーターウィンドウ部分を倒します。」It doesn't actually state or even illustrate locking in any tab (which should be something like「ジョイントを固定します。」) I was doing this late at night and was solely relying on following the instructions.

Makes sense though, as I was wondering why the lower legs felt so loose. Now I know, and 知識は戦いの半分さ

More pics, now with (hopefully) correctly transformed lower legs!

This is what happens when I have brunch with my 8 year old

Rock beats scissors

Running with scissors

The lower leg weapon stowage. Works fine on mine (The Scream Man's one keeps on popping the gun out whenever he closed the lower leg panel)

A hint for anyone transforming back to car mode. Make sure the thumbs are folded all the way into the hands and the hands are all the way in. Otherwise the rear of the car wont fold all the way over.